Vintage AV Processor w HDMI recommendations

lokie

Vintage AV Processor w HDMI recommendations
« on: 22 Aug 2020, 02:47 pm »
Looking for a good  bang for the buck used AV processor.

Hopefully something that's easy to use and decent maintenance track record.
Not sure about all the formats but I'm not one to try to keep up with the latest...  but do want HDMI connection.
If it matters, will be using a computer ( hdmi out/video card)  for various video and audio. Will also be connecting  cable boxes, etc.  and a DVD player.

I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking about, so please, any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Phil A

Re: Vintage AV Processor w HDMI recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2020, 03:46 pm »
Not sure what the budget is but have you checked out authorized factory refurbs at places like accessories4less.com?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2020, 03:48 pm »
Here's the main page where you can check off (on the left hand side) the features you're looking for - https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2020, 03:51 pm »
Lots of questions could be asked like how much power, do you have efficient speakers, do you need pre-out to add better amps later, 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos setup? Do you want a processor (no amps inside) or a receiver (with amps)?

But unless you know the seller used AV receivers are a crap shoot, those microprocessors inside often go haywire and then you are buying someone else's problems. New AV receivers are so cheap these days there is no reason to buy used unless you have only $100 to spend and want to play around.

I would look at used AV receivers at The Music Room https://tmraudio.com/, they have vintage, test, guarantees, and everything is professionally packed so you will know it will arrive in one piece.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2020, 05:58 pm »
First order of business is to determine if you want or need legacy AV inputs or just HDMI inputs. Second order of business is to determine if you want preamp outputs and if so just for the L/R channels or all channels.

And I too would be skeptical of a used unit. Seems like many people want top dollar for something that by current standards is technologically old (no 4k video support, old HDMI standards, etc.) and has no warranty.

I too would look at Accessories for Less in particular older generations Marantz or Yamaha units.

lokie

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2020, 11:03 pm »
"Do you want a processor (no amps inside) or a receiver (with amps)?"
As stated in the OP, I am looking for a Processor (no amps).

"legacy AV inputs or just HDMI inputs. Second order of business is to determine if you want preamp outputs and if so just for the L/R channels or all channels."
Not sure about either of these:
"lagacy AV inputs" are you referring to composite and vga etc..?
what are preamp outputs on a processor? So, it just passes the input of a source component on to another preamp?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2020, 11:33 pm »
Accessories4Less may have those from time to time - https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/audioamps/home-audio/receivers-amps/processors-power-amps/1.html?home_audio_key[]=preamp

You could also go to hifishark and do searches (it does multiple sites).  For example, I put this search in - https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=integra+dtc   Owned a DTC 9.8 about 8-9 years back that I bought used.  If you don't need the latest and greatest (as far as surround format like Dolby Atmos) then there are things out there that are reasonable.  Or you can do this search on hifishark and come up with items which may be of interest - https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=preamp+processor

WC

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:09 am »
"Do you want a processor (no amps inside) or a receiver (with amps)?"
As stated in the OP, I am looking for a Processor (no amps).

"legacy AV inputs or just HDMI inputs. Second order of business is to determine if you want preamp outputs and if so just for the L/R channels or all channels."
Not sure about either of these:
"lagacy AV inputs" are you referring to composite and vga etc..?
what are preamp outputs on a processor? So, it just passes the input of a source component on to another preamp?

Legacy AV inputs would be composite, S-video, or component. Most older AVRs will have a combination these along with HDMI. The newer AVRs are phasing them out.

Processor outputs are preamp outs. Some processors have RCA and XLR outputs. Older ones with HDMI should have at least 7 channels of output.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:55 am »
My bad, I misread the OP.

The only question is whether you need legacy inputs as WC expanded upon. You mentioned a DVD player which (I think) were composite or component output only for many years. Now some DVD players come with HDMI outputs.

A solid vintage unit is the Outlaw 975. I had a friend using it in a $40k-ish two channel video setup for many years. It has legacy inputs. From memory it has three potential downsides:

1. You could not easily buy a third party remote control for it. Make sure it comes with a fully functioning large remote as my recollection is that it came with two remotes and only the large remote has the buttons needed to program some of the unit settings.

2. While you can set the output level for each channel it does not have any fancy room correction.

3. It is 1080p only.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:51 pm »
An Outlaw 975 is a solid choice if you need just a processor (BYOAmps). The 975 has plenty of legacy inputs plus HDMI, it sounds pretty good too. Never harsh or bright so music can be turned up real loud, it would probably be a good match with the affordable Klipsh speakers which can get shouty when loud.

I happily used an Outlaw 975 for 7 years and just recently upgraded to an Anthem AVM 60 processor with has a much clearer, refined sound quality but it comes at a price and doesn't have legacy inputs.

My old Outlaw 975 is sitting unused in my closet, it has the full function remote with the manual and I want to give it away for free. But there is a catch, the unit is stuck in standby and nothing seems to be able to unstick it. The unit needs to be returned to the factory for repairs and I don't feel comfortable selling a repaired unit. I contacted Outlaw and servicing a Model 975 is $75.00 - $150.00 plus round-trip shipping.

The average sold price on eBay is $250 so it's a deal for somebody.

I'm not going to box up and ship, too much of a PIA so I'm giving it away to the first person who shows up in Tucson, AZ.

Photos and a little more info here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169492.msg1796387#msg1796387

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2020, 09:31 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Probably looking for something a little more refined than Outlaw. More like an old Anthem 30 or an older McIntosh??

"3. It is 1080p only."
Why even run video through a sound processor? To be able to use one remote? Not sure I understand this.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2020, 10:05 pm »

More like an old Anthem 30...

Why even run video through a sound processor? To be able to use one remote? Not sure I understand this.

1.) If you have more than one video source, it is easier to switch inputs on the processor. I have 3 inputs: computer HTPC, Oppo Blu-ray player, and OTA TV via HDMI ARC for 5.1 surround.

2.) To enable Netflix Dolby Atmos when using a 1080p TV. The Netflix app via HTPC & HDMI first sees the Atmos enabled processor and enables Atmos along with highest picture quality.

3.) The Anthem AVM 60 video is a pass-thru, no processing is used.

Anthem AVM 30 5.1 Channel Home Theater Processor; AVM30; Remote
$335.61

https://tmraudio.com/components/home-theater/anthem-avm-30-5-1-channel-home-theater-processor-avm30-remote-1/

No HDMI
No Dolby TrueHD
No DTS-HD Master Audio
No DTS-HD High Resolution
No DTS:X
and most important
No Genesis Anthem Room Correction which transforms a pretty good home theater to sounding just as good as going out to a high end theater, even better because you can pause and pee.

lokie

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2020, 03:00 am »
Got it.
Thanks for the great intel..
Anthem AVM50 perhaps? Looks to be in the $800 range which would work.

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2020, 05:04 am »
Looks like the Anthem AVM 50 will work, it has HDMI but all the other "No's" that applied to the AVM 30 also apply to the AVM 50.

I was in the same situation as you when my Outlaw died. My choice was do I send it in for a repair and put money into 7 year old processor or move on? Or spend $1000 on used equipment with no guarantee? I'm too chicken to take that risk since the microprocessor in the Outlaw is the problem and the AVM 50 at 11 years old is older. And all the used ones were owned by little old ladies who only turned them on for an hour on Sunday morning for church TV.

There are plenty of Redbox kiosks in my neighborhood so renting a current movie on Blu-ray is no problem. 7.1.4 surround with Dolby Atmos could be fun. I had the extra amps in a closet not being used.

The new Outlaw 976 is $1000 but in my mind it was kind of "been there, done that", time to move on. The Marantz AV7705 is $2200 but my impression (right or wrong) is the Marantz, Denon, Sony, Yahama brands are all mid-fi, you get a lot for your money, plenty of bells and whistles but excellent sound quality? I wasn't willing to take the chance.

After reading many reviews and comments my thinking slowly evolved from looking for a cheap legacy processor like I had before to something that would stay current for many years. I kept ending up on the Crutchfield Anthem AVM 60 page so one day I thought "screw it" and clicked the buy button and have been happy ever since.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:02 pm »
There's Emotiva too. Based on internet postings, some people love them and others say they are lacking in quality control. It's one of the few (only?) companies with a sub $1000 AVP.

lokie

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2020, 05:35 pm »
"Looks like the Anthem AVM 50 will work, it has HDMI but all the other "No's" that applied to the AVM 30 also apply to the AVM 50.

I was in the same situation as you when my Outlaw died. My choice was do I send it in for a repair and put money into 7 year old processor or move on? Or spend $1000 on used equipment with no guarantee? I'm too chicken to take that risk since the microprocessor in the Outlaw is the problem and the AVM 50 at 11 years old is older. And all the used ones were owned by little old ladies who only turned them on for an hour on Sunday morning for church TV.

There are plenty of Redbox kiosks in my neighborhood so renting a current movie on Blu-ray is no problem. 7.1.4 surround with Dolby Atmos could be fun. I had the extra amps in a closet not being used.

The new Outlaw 976 is $1000 but in my mind it was kind of "been there, done that", time to move on. The Marantz AV7705 is $2200 but my impression (right or wrong) is the Marantz, Denon, Sony, Yahama brands are all mid-fi, you get a lot for your money, plenty of bells and whistles but excellent sound quality? I wasn't willing to take the chance.

After reading many reviews and comments my thinking slowly evolved from looking for a cheap legacy processor like I had before to something that would stay current for many years. I kept ending up on the Crutchfield Anthem AVM 60 page so one day I thought "screw it" and clicked the buy button and have been happy ever since.Looks like the Anthem AVM 50 will work, it has HDMI but all the other "No's" that applied to the AVM 30 also apply to the AVM 50.

After reading many reviews and comments my thinking slowly evolved from looking for a cheap legacy processor like I had before to something that would stay current for many years. I kept ending up on the Crutchfield Anthem AVM 60 page so one day I thought "screw it" and clicked the buy button and have been happy ever since."

Argh?!?!! I have a feeling you just cost me $2g more than I was hoping for.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2020, 09:35 pm »

Argh?!?!! I have a feeling you just cost me $2g more than I was hoping for.

You are welcome  :)

I was thinking that if you only had $1000 to spend (being a poor but happy woodworker for all my life I could understand) then I would opt for the Outlaw 976 instead of an obsolete vintage processor.  But if you can swing the cash then the Anthem AVM 60 sound quality is really heads and shoulders above the Outlaw.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/anthem-avm-60-av-processor-review