felt applied to baffle

WerTicus

felt applied to baffle
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2004, 06:27 pm »
well then rosconey i would say that the foams effects on the sound would have been taken into acount with their design... maybe they had a peak after 20khz or something...and the soft surround fixes this.... who knows :P

thanks for that info audio engr!

ooheadsoo

felt applied to baffle
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2004, 07:29 am »
A few months late, but here are some research articles by David Ralph, who posts on Madisound.

http://www.speakerdesign.net/home.html

I just ordered some lamb's wool felt from mcmaster-carr, it should arrive in a few days, I guess.  According to David's measurements, the amount of wool in the felt was extremely important, and the synthetic stuff just didn't work at all.  I think those articles are good reads.

FlakeyPastry

Re: felt applied to baffle
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2022, 09:44 pm »
Interesting topic this is.

I have a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppies and, from the factory, they came equipped with "diffraction pads" on the front baffles
of both the WATTs (upper cabinet housing tweet/mid) and the Puppies (lower cabinet housing the woofers). These pads
seem to made of thin (perhaps quarter inch) mid density foam.

These pads on my speakers have now degenerated and I am thinking of replacing them; any thoughts on best options?
Wilson Audio sell pre cut replacement foam pads yet many of you here have discussed the possibility of using felt.
Are there advantages to be gained by using one material over another?

Thank you.