TVC Refrence 4

audiodoc

TVC Refrence 4
« on: 26 May 2008, 05:30 pm »
I'm loving  my TVC but I'm have matching problems with a Sonic Frontiers SFP-1 phonostage.The sound is unbalanced,dull,and muffled somewhat.I'm thinking impedance mismatch.SFP-1 output impedance is 1k.For comparison,I tried my -on hand- ladder 10k attenuator and a 10k series smd resistor atten. and they both sound fine and balanced from top to bottom.From here signal goes to a Marchand crossover with input impedance of 30k,output impedance is 50ohms.

Also-with cdp, the att.'s have better attack,bass punch and weight.TVC is more transparent and more open.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brown

Re: TVC Refrence 4
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2008, 11:49 pm »
You will now require a step up transformer for the phonostage. The TVC does not have enough gain. I recently purchased a used Ref 4 mono block version. I had the same problem with my phonostage. I believe this piece has room for modifications. It seems to have been built to a price point. The attenuator can be improved as well as the mounting of the transformer. The wiring scheme appears it can be improved as well.

audiodoc

Re: TVC Refrence 4
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:28 am »
Step up in place.That's not the problem.Any more ideas?

Mike