iPod at RMAF

youravhandyman

iPod at RMAF
« on: 21 Oct 2011, 08:47 pm »
Ok, don't laugh.  Woodsyi brought up the topic of having brought music on a flash drive and having had few rooms either want to play his files or able to.  My question may be just a step further along.  Being one of the millions with an iPhone in pocket I would have figured there would be a few outside the CanJam that would have catered to the i-source.  For the life of me I can't remember which room it was that had the iPod dock proudly displayed but beyond that I don't remember others with the option.  There are a few tracks on my phone that I would have loved to hear in some of those rooms where their music choice did not appeal to my tastes or show what I would be listening for personally.
Maybe Pez or Tyson noticed if any room had this choice of input?  I have to admit that since this was my first RMAF I was trying to see everything and missed some details.

HalSF

Re: iPod at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm »
I’m not laughing! But seriously...

In general at this year’s RMAF I detected a closing down of the willingness to play this visitor’s CD or vinyl or whatever. Perhaps a sign of bigger crowds and a more buttoned-down, professional sales presentation mode. Also, much more computer-as-source playing going on, presumably involving a more finicky set-up.

The place I saw a wide-open willingness to plug in iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches was the Canjam headphone room.

The lack of friendly offers to plug a headphone jack or a 30-pin connector into a visitor’s iPod is just the beginning of a long list of reasons why RMAF might feel unwelcoming to whippersnappers and starving mid-fi poets, despite the show being a great and soulful shindig overall.

youravhandyman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm »
Agreed, vendors at the canjam were much more willing to plug me into their system.

I want to say that I understand that a vendor cannot cater to every individual request when the room is packed on a Saturday.  But in some instances where I was one of only 2 people in the room the vendor wouldn't even look up from his iPad to acknowledge we were there.  Yet in other rooms I felt welcomed even with 10 others in the room.  While this doesn't really address my original topic relating to the iPhone playback I think it does speak to the reps that would be willing to play your files if the system was able.  Since the story this year is all DACs all the time then I would have to assume some will look to serve a potential client like me. 

Still, the show was mostly what I expected it to be having attended several CES shows previously. 

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:13 am »
Agreed, vendors at the canjam were much more willing to plug me into their system.

I want to say that I understand that a vendor cannot cater to every individual request when the room is packed on a Saturday.  But in some instances where I was one of only 2 people in the room the vendor wouldn't even look up from his iPad to acknowledge we were there.  Yet in other rooms I felt welcomed even with 10 others in the room.  While this doesn't really address my original topic relating to the iPhone playback I think it does speak to the reps that would be willing to play your files if the system was able.  Since the story this year is all DACs all the time then I would have to assume some will look to serve a potential client like me. 

Still, the show was mostly what I expected it to be having attended several CES shows previously.

The Peachtree room on the mezzanine had the iNova which has a direct iPod dock on top.  I recently reviewed the iNova for Stereo Times which has a killer DAC. 

pansixt

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2011, 03:47 pm »

This was a vendor product display and not an alternate source for a displayed
system, but I seem to recall that they were encouraging visitors to supply their own iPod or compatible device to preview.

The PSB/NAD Room had the NAD VISO-1 iPod Music System:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/VISO-1-iPod-Music-System
I had left my iPod in the car, but I wasn't that interested in this unit, though I did snap the picture.

I spoke to Paul Barton there and previewed his current PSB Synchrony One Towers.
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/tower-speakers

They sounded very nice and seemed to handle any volume level with no distortion
that I could detect. They were powered by an NAD stack that I can't recall.
I seem to remember Paul mentioning that the Synchrony One Towers retail for $5500.

James