HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server

pansixt

Re: HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server
« Reply #120 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:15 am »
Wish it was on it's way to my home. But once again Rich I just couldn't swing it. Only due to the extras that I would have required by my current setup (and there is that I need an amp and sub worse- and to pay the dental bill).

But following that I will be calling on you for advice or maybe if we're lucky,  :thumb: :thumb: an MS-3.

Looking to hear praise from the fortunate owner(s) soon. Having been fortunate enough myself to preview the MS-1, I can appreciate the quality and detail of the build to say nothing of the massive improvement in sound quality over my stock SB Touch. And my Bolder modded PS has a faint hum. Faint only up close and is still night and day over the wall wart.

Anyway, thanks HAL for your effort and dedication.

James

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #121 on: 23 Feb 2014, 04:28 am »
I'm glad to see the success of this project.  It's been a couple of years now since I wrote the first review of the prototype MS-1, and it seems like all the superlatives that were applicable then are still true.  You've done a great job with these.  Thanks, Rich.  :thumb:

Scott

HAL

« Reply #122 on: 23 Feb 2014, 12:36 pm »
Scott,
Thanks!  Glad you are still enjoying the MS-1 for music.

They were fun to build!  You get to meet new people that enjoy good music, so added benefits along the way.  :)

Guess I will go back to refurbishing old Laney tube guitar amps and PA's and have fun.   

HAL

« Reply #123 on: 2 May 2016, 11:56 am »
For MS-2 owners, I have done the Windows 10 update on mine with very good results.  No issues with anything that I could find.

You can get the link on www.msn.com to the Windows 10 OS update if you are interested. 

I also recommend looking at Math Audio Room EQ for use with Foobar2000 and a Dayton Audio UMM-6 calibrated USB mic.  It will use your DAC as the signal source and make measurements at the listening position to correct for room and speaker anomalies.  So far had very good results with it.

HAL

« Reply #124 on: 15 Jul 2016, 08:21 pm »
For MS-2 owners, you need to keep the WiFi antenna connected to the unit even if it is not using WiFi. 

The WiFi PCIe card maybe damaged by not having the antenna connected as the 50 ohm load.  Just had to remove one of the PCie cards as the user did not have the antenna connected and the card died.

HAL

« Reply #125 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:05 pm »
Just forced the Windows 10 Anniversary update to load on my MS-2 and it worked easily.  It does need 20GB of disc space to load and run the update.

Will be running the programs to see how they are working as time permits. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #126 on: 3 Aug 2016, 09:00 pm »
I believe 30+G of the roughly 60G hard drive are already being used by Win 10, I am not entirely sure that the update is possible with my machine.
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #127 on: 3 Aug 2016, 09:10 pm »
Scotty,
I just did it on the 60GB drive in my MS-2 and it worked.  I just backed up the music I had and had 33GB free.  The updater checked and said it was ok to update.

When it was done, I had 23GB of free space again. 

Just checked all the programs on my MS-2 and they are working correctly.  I am checking all the Windows 10 settings to see if they are the same as I set next.

HAL

« Reply #128 on: 10 Aug 2016, 03:28 pm »
A MS-2 that was just upgraded to Windows 10 should be back to it's owner today.  Waiting to hear if it is alive and kicking.

This one took a power hit in the middle of the Windows 10 update at the owners place, and damaged the original OS and the WiFi adapter.  Removed the WiFi adapter, reloaded it from scratch to rebuild the system and back to normal.

HAL

« Reply #129 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:36 pm »
The MS-2 is back with it's owner and working with Windows 10. 

The MS-1 and MS-2 motherboards are no longer available for repairs.  The MS-2 can be upgraded by installing the MS-3 motherboard, back panel, new install CD and wiring harness.  Doing that now for one customer that had the MS-2 motherboard fail.  Moving over the MS-2 memory and 60GB mSATA drive went well and now waiting on the new DVD wiring harness to complete the system.  This unit was still running Windows 8, so it will remain with that OS installed. 

For MS-2 and MS-3 owners, please keep all the Windows OS, Install disk media and WiFi antenna for the system.  The WiFi antenna should be installed even if not in use.  The WiFi modules do not seem to like no RF load.  It can be installed and left in the horizontal position if that is easier than vertical.

HAL

« Reply #130 on: 3 Oct 2016, 07:14 pm »
Just did an MS-2 to MS-3 motherboard upgrade for a customer.  The MS-2 motherboard stopped working and no repair or replacements are now available for that board.

The chassis is the same, so the MS-3 motherboard, new DVD cable harness and new back panel were installed and Windows 8.1 update to Windows 8 were done.  Everything is working well, so shipped it back to the owner today.