Portable Music Players for Headphone Use - Discussion

adydula

• Restricted
Ok folks this was an idea from a volunteer Freo-1.

This discussion thread is orientated around portable music players and how you use them, like them etc with your headphone gear.

Folks would like to know why a particular player is your choice, what is  great about them, how much do they cost, how easy are they to use and populate with source material. What headphone works well with it, etc...

Names like Cowon, Astell+Kern, were mentioned. I know there are alot more.

I do not have any here, and really do not know much about this part of the hobby.

So please share your experiences with us!!

Thanks
Alex

Freo-1

Re: Portable Music Players for Headphone Use - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 09:59 pm »

I've A+K Kann player.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the unit.  It has a LOT of storage for music and battery, can support DSD, has a large battery, a built in second amp deswigned to drive more inefficient headphones, etc.

Here is a link to a review of the unit:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-astell-kern-ak-kann-power-to-the-people/2/

I use Westone W-60's and Sony MDR Z7 phones with the unit.  I changed the cables on the phones to use balanced cables,  which is quieter than unbalanced.  Also have Sony wireless phones for workouts.

One item worth mentioning:  The battery, while long lasting, is not as long as A+K claims.  If one uses wireless phones, the battery seems to last ages. 

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 10:17 pm »
I am old school and I use this lot, all Sony units. WM-D6C, WM-DC2 and WM-DD9 with Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang headphone amp. Headphones are Modified Beyerdynamic T70, Etymotic ER-4SR. My daily unit is first and foremost the DC2 because it’s smaller than the D6C and sounds nearly as good. 

slash

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 11:20 am »
Activo CT-10, no dubt.
affordable less $$, superportable , sounds good. I have one

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 11:41 am »
Hi slash....

Weclome to the circle....

Please post some pictures of your player and tell us more about it.

Alex

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2019, 07:45 pm »
I use a Fiio X-1 and the KZ ATE (thanks to you guys here) so for under $100, sounds great!

slash71

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2019, 08:56 pm »
Hi slash....

Weclome to the circle....

Please post some pictures of your player and tell us more about it.

Alex

Enthusiastic, perhaps also because I hadn't had a dap for some time. In the past I had a little Cowon at the time of the mp3s, and even a Sony "walkman", I don't remember the model, thin as a half packet of gum. These objects increase the amount of "stuff" we have in our pockets and so I have always favored extreme portability

The modern dap are now "standardized" on dimensions for me "huge" .. double dac / big displays / mini tubes / triodes .. are more "trasportable" than portable .. and after a while remain on the table. objects that are too expensive to be knock around.

I evaluated the shanling, like the m5s or the Hiby type r3, then I stumbled on a news item that talked about Teraton (A&K DAC module) that intrigued me; the only device on the market with the Teraton was actually the ACTIVO (an iRIVER brand), which I would never have shit without Qobuz, a gap that they filled with the latest fw update,. In the end I was and I remain more intrigued by the dac than by the dap in itself and I ordered it. Amazon Uk 250 euros ..

On paper, the feature that worried me most was the driving power, it was a lot lower than other devices. the rest of the features I liked ..dlna included .. in the product I was looking for I would have also liked a HiBy link feature but I resigned myself ..

well .. after a few weeks .. what do i think?

little device  but the volume ..

the question is simple, comparing the listening level and the playback quality of the small DAP with the equally small Nuprime iDSD portable dac / headamp and alternating between the two IZ KZ ZSN and the Beyer 770, the Activo performs well with both and without differences in terms of quality between the two devices. With the IEMs , volume  is managed with the wheel knob on the right within  0 to 150, I keeps it at around 90, while with the Beyer I lower the attenuation to 120/130.  for most headphones you don't need an additional amp, it's surprising that such a small object can drive Beyer's 250ohm drives.

There is also a line-out configuration with four fixed values ​​at 0.7, 1, 1.25 and 2v; useful when the output is connected to an external amplifier. nice feature!!

Quality

tI have tested for now only with Flac files up to 24/96 and with Qobuz App downloaded from the portal  site and works very well, on the same portal you can find other music service compatible "apks" , among others:

Amazon music, Spotify, Tidal (pre-installed), Sound Cloud, Pandora, Sirius XM, Tune-In, myTuner, Melon, Bugs, Music Mate, AWA, QQ Music, KK BOX ..

the conversion of the files carried out by the processor supported by the CS4398 on TERATON module give a great sound quality, I don't have the possibility to compare it with other type of PMP, dual dac, miniature triodes and other types of amplification circuits that certainly provide different listening experiences but, there is still substance here.

Sound is clean, consistent, full and with no interference. Enjoy and relax  listen the Arcadia and Rush   with the Beyerdinamics without regretting the main Hi-Fi system .

VARIOUS

The quad core processor makes the interface very fluid, both when running Qobuz or Tidal apps and when browsing through songs and settings.

With a 256GB microsd that I already own at home filled with four hundred albums and everything is ok. Navigation and indexing of genres / artists / and song was done without any problem ..

It supports MQA but I haven't tried it yet. I will equip myself with some Master albums as soon as possible and I will update this page for fans of this sunny format

Other important features such as, DLNA client, equalizer,  gapless support and  microSD up to 400GB, stuff around the excellent player and increase the value of the product regardless of their use .

In short, everything is fine except some minor issue:

- the range of wifi is a little weaker on this device,  compared to smartphones and PCs  in my  house the Activo suffers a bit  ( latest fw update patially fix this  issue , now the range is acceptable)
- if you have big fingers you will struggle. The dap is small and the display occupies only part of the front surface. It is not impossible to manage the navigation in the UI but the keyboard used for searches may be too small for you.
- the battery, declared for 10h, with active wifi and listening in streaming (qobuz) does not exceed seven hours ..

iRiver Activo is  my definitive dap  for portability and music quality

« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2019, 01:29 am by slash71 »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2019, 01:25 pm »
Hey!

Great post and good morning to you!

I never have really considered the portable devices and always thought they were a compromise to a good desktop system. So it good to hear that your enjoying your protable devices!

I did look at a few devices several months ago and the prices were somewhat high IMO....that said it looks like the miniaturization etc has made this things like really small and from the reviews of some of these on headfi there are thousands of people who really like and enjoy them.

I have a friend that bought LG phone that has in it a "good" dac I think it was a V20 , year or two back that had a nice dac in it and touted itself as a great audio player. It did sound great and drove my headphones easily.

Thanks again for the innformation...

Alex

:D