New Model .. Pan

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: New Model .. Pan
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2013, 07:48 pm »
The Daedalus Pan speakers from the show are now at my house.  Anyone within driving distance of northern Virginia who wants to hear them can send me a pm.  :thumb:
I'll let others comment on the Pan at CAF but on monday I helped Scott get these in his listening room, (which is a very nice room btw) and the first thing we heard was more bass extension and a more even bass than at the show.  both rooms were about the same size but we had a 50hz null and 80hz peak at the show which we couldn't totally fix.  anyone in the area who liked these at the show should see if they can hear them at Scott's place.

thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:51 am »
 a heads up,  we will hold the pre-production price of $4600 until August 15.

upon reviewing the actual build costs, the final price will be $5800 with an introductory discount of 10%

thanks,
lou

genjamon

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:46 pm »
I'll let others comment on the Pan at CAF but on monday I helped Scott get these in his listening room, (which is a very nice room btw) and the first thing we heard was more bass extension and a more even bass than at the show.  both rooms were about the same size but we had a 50hz null and 80hz peak at the show which we couldn't totally fix.  anyone in the area who liked these at the show should see if they can hear them at Scott's place.

thanks,
lou

So what is the frequency response on these?

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:18 pm »
So what is the frequency response on these?

If I get over to Scott's place, I can always bring over the 1/3 Octave RTA and give a perspective on the readout from the listening position in a real world room.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2013, 03:59 pm »
Just bumping this up as I'm interested to hear impressions on these, as well as any insights comparing them to the Athenas.  Am I remembering correctly that Scott has a pair of Athenas?  Maybe a good opportunity for a direct comparison?  I'm curious to learn how the configuration of the same drivers between them changes the speaker.

Thanks again!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #25 on: 4 Aug 2013, 05:12 pm »
Just bumping this up as I'm interested to hear impressions on these, as well as any insights comparing them to the Athenas.  Am I remembering correctly that Scott has a pair of Athenas?  Maybe a good opportunity for a direct comparison?  I'm curious to learn how the configuration of the same drivers between them changes the speaker.

Thanks again!

Yes, I have a pair of Athenas. Lou has them for the crossover upgrade right now. I am using the Pans from the CAF until I get the Athenas back. I will have a very narrow window of a few days when I will have both pairs, then the Pans are going out for a review. Anyone can send me a pm to arrange an audition  :thumb:

beaglebump

« Reply #26 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:02 pm »
Would also be interested in your A/B of the Athena and the Pan, Scott.  My Athenas are also with Lou right now for the upgrades.  Apples vs oranges here, but curious all the same. 

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:56 pm »
even though they share the same drivers, the Athena and the Pan are very different designs. the Pan have exceeded my design expectations and not only work very well as a point source but also have excellent imaging and a cohesive natural presentation. the tonality is similar to the original DA-1.
the AThena in comparison give a larger stage, more extended bass and greater clarity... and they should as they cost twice as much. the next question may be, is the Athena 'twice' the speaker? I don't know as I think that becomes subjective.  there are some who will prefer the sound of the Pan and others who will feel the Athena is a big step up. as far as budget and application needs, they are very different.

hope this helps?

thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:05 am »
new wood stands for the Pan.  we can do these in matching wood and even ebonized walnut for a more 'modern' look.

roadkingraw

« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:01 pm »
Those look fantastic Lou!  Great job!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:34 am »
the stands are  made so they can be disassembled and the legs can be set at an angle or straight.

the one on the left is at an angle and the right is straight. you can be creative ; )

roadkingraw

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:41 pm »
Love the look of Maple!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #32 on: 22 Dec 2013, 10:04 pm »
Well I just got my pair of Pan's home this week.   As I am much more a novice at the whole audio world then most of the people reading this I will be brief and to the point.  I and Sweet Sue auditioned the Athena at Lou's shop listening room.  The units he had on hand were somebody's upgrade ( many thanks).  I had spent a few weeks at local audio stores listening to Dyna Audio, B&W etc and had set a price point.  I had also heard some thing I really liked at double my price point.  So after a nice long drive I met Lou and got the nickle tour.  He handed me the remotes and said go at it.  And I decided the Pan will be my next speaker.  After listening to some Boston's for the last 20+ years I am so delighted and all the neighbors agree.  Sweet Sue put her nature mediation CD on and all the critters for blocks appeared in the back yard.  We don't have a listening room and so a lot of the listening is off axis and better then I would have thought.  Just as a diamond the color and clarity are great.  I still need to do some upgrading on the rest of the parts.  NAD 7400 receiver, generic CD and a Squeeze Box 2 ( First time I came across on was at Lou's) and all will be upgraded as time and $ allow.  I am located in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and if anybody wants a listen drop by.  Buy LOCAL. Or Washington's close enough!  Thanks Lou  P.S. Santa Claus has been good.  I see some matching bases in our future.

jonbee

« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:10 pm »
Well I just got my pair of Pan's home this week. Sweet Sue put her nature mediation CD on and all the critters for blocks appeared in the back yard.  We don't have a listening room and so a lot of the listening is off axis and better then I would have thought.  Just as a diamond the color and clarity are great. 
Lou's speakers have an ease and naturalness that is very rare. It is hard for me to stay in my critical listening mode with them; after a minute or two I always get distracted by... uh... the lure of the music itself! What a concept! Works even on old and not so great recordings, the radio, TV shows, you name it.
Maybe the cure for audio nervosa?
Anyway, enjoy the Pan's. You may well find you have arrived at the end of your speaker road.

mmcentyre

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:52 am »
I'm also a Pan early adopter, and since I've learned a lot by reading these posts, I think I'll give back even before my speakers have fully broken in.  First, I agree with some comments from others that prior to break in, the speakers sound "uninvolving" and "unremarkable."  On the plus side, they did nothing offensive either, which was a good sign.  The soundstage was recessed behind the speakers and they sounded dull.  I was worried, and even more worried as I approached 40 hours of periodic playing.  I don't have the liberty of playing them continuously since they're in my living room.

Not sure what happened or when exactly, but sometime after 50 hours the stage moved more forward and instead of the 20th row in the theatre, I'm now in the 2nd.  Utterly gorgeous, musical and pleasing.  No listener fatigue, good detail, the best tonality with piano and guitar I've personally heard (the speakers had the tone/timbre from day one but didn't feel alive).  I realize this post could go over in the break-in topic, but thought it important for future Pan owners.  The analogy I kept thinking was a race horse being held back by the jockey.  Can't wait to hear everything after another 50.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:30 am »
yes for some reason the break in on the Pan is really crucial. I finished up a set last thursday and let them run in over the weekend, with exactly the same results as mmcentyre.

I have found that the first real 'hump' is at 100 hours, that is the point where all the wire and connections etc. settle down, next is about 200-250 hours when the drivers relax, then at 400 or so hours when all the caps break in, and finally after a couple more months (of normal playing time) they become very musical. It does seem to vary with different systems but rest assured they will keep getting better for quite awhile. 

I had one person who found a used pair of Ulysses which had never been completely broken in and he ran a break in disc at decent volume out of phase with a blanket over them for 250 hours!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:35 am »

new pair of Pan in walnut

dB Cooper

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:42 am »

I am using the Pans from the CAF until I get the Athenas back.dition  :thumb:
I heard that exact pair there… They were impressive (one of the few multiway systems I liked, actually). Curious if you know how much run time they had before the show.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2014, 03:57 am »
I heard that exact pair there… They were impressive (one of the few multiway systems I liked, actually). Curious if you know how much run time they had before the show.

thanks! I think they had about 200 hours before the show (CAF). 
From now on both Dan and I are really trying to set aside gear for shows that will have months of playing time.  often the amps only have a week or two and like my speakers his KWA 150 SE amp needs months to sound its best. from now on we will be making sure that all the gear has had extra time, (at least we will do our best).
It really can be a challenge for a company to do this and it is surprising how many companies just don't even care.... :scratch:

dB Cooper

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:42 am »
Thanks for the reply. Your room the year before was also one of the better sounding rooms at that show, in spite of the fact that the room they (Athenas IIRC) were in was a little small for them imho. Some people just build good sounding equipment….