TubeCube 7 Opinions

steelgitr

TubeCube 7 Opinions
« on: 19 Apr 2021, 12:05 am »
Hi Guys

I have a pair of 78 La Scalas and wanted to dip my toes into the tube world. I know most talked about here is pretty high end stuff but this fit my starting out budget. I'm probably not allowed to post a link but it's from the tube depot dot com.

thx

bob

guf

Re: TubeCube 7 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2021, 03:13 am »
I had a pair of 78 La Scalas and they were perfect with my 45 tube amps. putting out only 2 watts. I switched to Belles and the are also listed at 104dbs/m,  and used even less power with a type 46 tube. I supplement my bass but was very satisfied with out. I'd suggest a sonic_oil 45 amp.( his name on Audiomart ) they are between 800-1200$ from him. That combination could be what you live with forever.  Any quality low power amp would be amazing. I'd also suggest First watt ACA, they often come up used for 250-300$ and available in kit form for the same price. good luck. I'm excited for you.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2021, 03:25 am »
I searched that tubecube. I'm not familiar with it and curious what other might say. I also read some of your other posts.  My above suggestions may not fall into line with your budget. I have heard people share their positive experiences with some vintage receivers and la Scalas. . I'd strongly suggest the ACA amps for a great low power option, but not tube. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2021, 08:40 pm »
A little EL84ish amplifier with a switching supply for the B+.

It came out with 2 other manufacturers name first. A decent place to start.

Do note that the Klipsch’s impedance (ugly) will interact with the highish output impedance of the SE amp to affect  frequency response.

From the looks of the charts, the Crites XO solves this and should make for a better LaScala.

dave

steelgitr

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2021, 04:32 am »
I had a pair of 78 La Scalas and they were perfect with my 45 tube amps. putting out only 2 watts. I switched to Belles and the are also listed at 104dbs/m,  and used even less power with a type 46 tube. I supplement my bass but was very satisfied with out. I'd suggest a sonic_oil 45 amp.( his name on Audiomart ) they are between 800-1200$ from him. That combination could be what you live with forever.  Any quality low power amp would be amazing. I'd also suggest First watt ACA, they often come up used for 250-300$ and available in kit form for the same price. good luck. I'm excited for you.

$4000 for that sonic oil amp?? !
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649257894-thomas-mayer-designed-single-ended-45-built-by-sonic_oil/

guf

RolandButcher

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2021, 02:46 am »
Definitely check out Decware (but be prepared for a 6-month wait)

steelgitr

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2021, 02:20 pm »
Got it yesterday. Pretty impressed. Only have my M&K 750 speakers here to try it out.  (older version)

https://mksound.com/products/750-series/lcr750/

Since these are 4 ohms, should I use the 4 ohm output on the amp?

bob

steelgitr

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2021, 02:45 pm »
A little EL84ish amplifier with a switching supply for the B+.

It came out with 2 other manufacturers name first. A decent place to start.

Do note that the Klipsch’s impedance (ugly) will interact with the highish output impedance of the SE amp to affect  frequency response.

From the looks of the charts, the Crites XO solves this and should make for a better LaScala.

dave

What speaker tap should I use on the La Scalas, 4,6, or 8 ohm?

bob

seikosha

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2021, 03:37 pm »
What speaker tap should I use on the La Scalas, 4,6, or 8 ohm?

bob

Try each one and pick the one that sounds best.