Any "inexpensive" amps to power HT3s?

ctviggen

Any "inexpensive" amps to power HT3s?
« on: 3 Feb 2019, 07:53 pm »
Well, my Jeff Rowland #10 no longer turns on.  It had been in storage for 5+ years, as had the HT3s, and I decided to use them.  The Jeff Rowland seemed to be working, then after a while I realized anything stereo had no sound.  I've tried everything (resetting breakers, etc.), but the JR will not turn on. 

Assuming the Jeff Rowland costs too much to fix (since it hasn't been made in 15 years), are there any reasonably priced 2-channel amps that can run the Salk HT3s?  Say, $1,000 or less? 

I am not interested in DIY, as I have no time right now to do this.

Thank you.

My daughter wants me to add this little guy:   :popcorn:

ctviggen

Re: Any "inexpensive" amps to power HT3s?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2019, 07:57 pm »
I AM BOBS DAUGHTER, AND I LIKE EMOJIS (AND CAPS).  :popcorn: :scratch: :nono: :oops: :green: :green: :lol: :D :cry: :) :icon_twisted: :evil: :oops: :duh: :thumb: :popcorn: :popcorn: :o :cry: :( :P :wink: :icon_surprised: :roll: :roll: :x

padgman1

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2019, 08:17 pm »
There are a couple of amps for sale in the Amplifier section of the want ads on this website that have good reviews, a Job 225 amp and a Odyssey Stratos amp with extras.....both under $1000.

Shazb0t

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2019, 08:44 pm »
I'd check out some of the stuff from Emotiva.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2019, 08:56 pm »
I have heard the Job 225 and it is a nice sounding amp but I think a bit under powered for the HT3. The pair of Hypex Ncore 400 monoblocks have a sale pending but I had an Ncore amp for 2 months and it was not a good match with my Salk HT2-TL speakers so I would not go in that direction.

The HT3 speakers were designed using Van Alstine electronics so anything from Frank will work well. There is a used FET Valve 400R available, we compared an FET Valve amp to an AVA Synergy 450 on my HT2-TL's and liked the FET Valve better.
https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/used-fet-valve-400r-hybrid-power-amplifier
And yes, it is above your budget but AVA amps hold their value so you could resell in a few years and not loose much, but I doubt you will once you hear it.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2019, 09:41 pm »
Thanks, those are good possibilities, especially the Van Alstine, since it has a warranty.  And it's a pretty good deal, even if it's used.  I always liked tubes, used to use a tube-based center channel speaker.  However, you had to manually turn it on and wait for it to warm up. 

Do you know for the 400R hybrid power amplifier, does this have automatic, triggered turn on?  Or do I have to manually turn this on?

I should say that I'm using these in a 5 channel system as AV/music amps. 

I also took a look at emotiva:

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-2-gen3

Shiit:

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

And Outlaw:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2019, 10:16 pm »
Hmm...The 400R hybrid power amplifier might work anyway.  I have a Monster Power Center HTS5100, which has a 12 volt input.  I could possibly use that so that when my receiver is turned on, the receiver would then turn on the amplifier.  That would mean the amp would have to run through the power center (instead of into the wall), but at least I could turn it on automatically.  I'll have to give this more thought.

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm »
Yes, go on EBAY and get a pre-owned Carver or Sunfire amp with like 200+ watts a channel.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2019, 10:59 pm »
BTW, here is a Bryston used amp for $1000 with a money back guarantee:

https://reverb.com/item/18768187-bryston-5b-st-power-amplifier-3-channel-x-120w-5bst-amp

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2019, 11:21 pm »
Shadowlight has his Moscode 600 for sale at a reasonable price--$800?.  I think it's been updated with caps and resistors.  Check the for sale section. 

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2019, 11:25 pm »
I always liked tubes, used to use a tube-based center channel speaker.  However, you had to manually turn it on and wait for it to warm up. 

For some reason all AVA electronics do not need an extended warm up to sound their best, usually 30 seconds does it.
I have the FET Valve pre-amp and FET Valve DAC, both units with tubes, and really haven't noticed a change in sound or presentation from initial start up to shut down hours later.

All the AVA amps I have seen have only a manual turn on. Give Frank a call, he is the guy who usually picks up the phone when you call AVA.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2019, 11:45 am »
The main thing preventing me from using the AVA is the way I use this system.  This is our main TV system, so I turn it on/off quite frequently. For instance, I turned on the system for less than 15 minutes this morning to check the weather.  I'm not sure tubes handle that well. They aren't even hot, then I shut them down. 

I used a tube-based center channel in a true HT system, where we only watched movies, the Super Bowl, listened to music, and I always had the system on a while.  By contrast, for this current application, the system will often be on for minutes at a time. 

Thank you for the Bryston recommendation -- I did not know about that site.  At one time, I had a Bryston 5-channel amp.  My only concern is that it was not powerful enough to run my center channel at the time (VMPS RM30C) to full volume, and I had to use two amps from the Bryston to biamp the speaker.  Then channels started dying, one-by-one, and I threw it away. (This was an amp made by Bryston, but sold under a different name; I forget the original name, but it didn't have the super long warranty.)  That amp has me anti-Bryston.

That Outlaw audio amp was $300/each yesterday and is $400/each today.  The Jeff Rowland was BK (before kids) and BW (before wife), and now I'll need to pass everything through the wife.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2019, 02:38 pm »
Do you have to turn on the amp for the L & R speakers every time?  :scratch:

cliffy

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2019, 12:05 am »
If your interested in NuForce Ref9SEv3.  I have a pair that I am not using.

Bob Stark

« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:30 pm »
I also have pair of the Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE mono amps.  The reviews are very good.  The sound is a tad on the warm side, but there is great detail, dynamics, and bass, and a live and lucid midrange.  I had mine for awhile and then heard about TDSS which is a company formed to repair the Nuforce and Nuprime amps.  It is factory authorized and they also do incredible upgrades without messing with the amps circuits so the sound still has the original house sound--very neutral with a touch of warmth.  I had Bob Smith at TDSS do my amps with the Level 3 upgrades and they came back absolutely stunning.  They are now more powerful, reliable, and so real sounding it is like they made these little amps into super amps on steroids.  It is something to think about if your dad ever wanted to take the music to a much higher level someday using the same great amps.  The new power supply Bob puts in is a 500 watt per channel PS.  The HT-3's need high power.  The TDSS improved amps are not just powerful, they sound beautiful and reliable and they work well with a wide variety of speakers. 

TJHUB

« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:50 pm »
The HT3’s seem to need far more than 200wrms to perform well because they are so inefficient.  I used to clip my previous amps with music, and I’m not a loud listener. 

I’m currently running a Mivera ICE Edge amp, and I couldn’t be more happy with it.  It is the best sounding amp I’ve had, and it seems perfect for my HT3’s needs.  With my passive preamp and my DAC’s output, I think I’m around 325wrms, and it seems perfect.  The HT3’s get loud, and stay super clean sounding. 

I know “Mivera” might be a dirty word around here, but the ICE Edge amp is amazing in both sonics and performance.  For the money, I don’t think they can be beat.  The used ones for sale can be great deals. 

Photon46

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:17 pm »
The HT3’s seem to need far more than 200wrms to perform well because they are so inefficient.  I used to clip my previous amps with music, and I’m not a loud listener. 

I’m currently running a Mivera ICE Edge amp, and I couldn’t be more happy with it.  It is the best sounding amp I’ve had, and it seems perfect for my HT3’s needs.  With my passive preamp and my DAC’s output, I think I’m around 325wrms, and it seems perfect.  The HT3’s get loud, and stay super clean sounding. 

I know “Mivera” might be a dirty word around here, but the ICE Edge amp is amazing in both sonics and performance.  For the money, I don’t think they can be beat.  The used ones for sale can be great deals.

Yes, once all the "drama" surrounding this amp's origins is put aside, the fact remains that this amp is an extremely high value proposition. Whether used in my main system with Tidal Piano Ceras or in my second system with KEF R500s, this amp is very pleasing. It partners well with both my PS Audio BHK and DeHavilland UltraVerve preamps. At 620 watts per channel into 8 ohms, it isn't going to be too challenged by most speakers. All amplifiers entail compromises and exhibit strengths and weaknesses. That said, the latest generation of IcePower modules have a very high price/performance ratio.

david45

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:40 pm »
I'm extremely happy with my Mivera SE amplifier as well. So much in fact that I pretty much never feel the need to switch to my Ayon Spirit 3 and only do it on rare occasions (haven't hooked it up once in the last 6 months).
Phenomenal  customer service from Mike. You can get them second hand but also note that he's got a cheaper all-in-one alternative in the works on his website including DAC and streamer.

Cheers,

David

kclark0395

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2019, 02:31 pm »
I drive my Soundtowers with a Rogue Sphinx and find it to be a great match. New these are a bit over your budget but they come up from time to time on the used market which is how I found mine well under a grand. Try to find a V2 which has a better phono stage and supposedly a quieter background. Mine is a V1 though and I'm very happy with it. Also, the stock JJ tubes are very good in this amp. I've tried rolling in pricier Mullards but IMO they are not worth the cost. Rogue did a great job voicing the amp around the JJ's.

Hydro

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:22 pm »
I had very good luck running my Ht-3's with a Denon POA 2400 amp. It is called an optical class A amp, never could find out what that means. It puts out 200 watts per channel and will play loads down to 2 ohms. I use one for my sub and center channel in my av system now and leave it on all the time. I replaced the Denon with an AVA 400R and it does sound better but only marginally. Here is a link for one on ebay for less than 400 shipped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-POA-2400A-Optical-Class-A-Amplifier/382744336052?hash=item591d5716b4:g:uFgAAOSweI1cRl16:rk:8:pf:0