Power supply upgrade for V25?

slefley

Power supply upgrade for V25?
« on: 17 Aug 2023, 01:22 pm »
I’m very happy with the V25 and stock power brick, but wonder if anyone has found improvements with an aftermarket LPS?  Thanks for your thoughts, Steve

slefley

Re: Power supply upgrade for V25?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2023, 10:23 pm »
Just to follow up, after getting an adapter for the power connector, I found that the LTA LPS+ linear power supply makes a very big improvement with the v25. At least in my system the soundstage is a little deeper, and the imaging is a little tighter. Not a night & day difference, but immediately noticeable and very positive.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Power supply upgrade for V25?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2023, 02:26 pm »
Just to follow up, after getting an adapter for the power connector, I found that the LTA LPS+ linear power supply makes a very big improvement with the v25. At least in my system the soundstage is a little deeper, and the imaging is a little tighter. Not a night & day difference, but immediately noticeable and very positive.

The V25 and V3 both use switching DC-DC regulators to step down the incoming source DC power to 5 volts. Internally it gets further stepped down to 3.3V by a linear regulator. On the V25 these voltages are used for 2 op amps, a microcontroller and a DAC chip. I initially assumed such switching regulators were immune from incoming power quality but several customers have reported improved performance with high quality linear power sources. Turns out even switching regulators benefit from cleaner incoming power. Garbage in, garbage out seems like a universal maxim regardless of the application.  :thumb: