DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:10 pm »
I saw that kit for rotation.  Let's see, he wants $290  :lol:... and I've got $8 in mine. 
As far as the kit to keep the label dry, it's not needed.  Rotating at 1 RPM the solution runs off and doesn't get on the label. 

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:23 pm »
Yeah, his stuff is very expensive, and even if cheap I'd stay far away from it.  But that doesn't mean there aren't a few good ideas to borrow from his contraption.  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:30 pm »
Yeah, his stuff is very expensive, and even if cheap I'd stay far away from it.  But that doesn't mean there aren't a few good ideas to borrow from his contraption.  :thumb:
Absolutely.  I like the adjustable height.  I'll eventually get around to redoing the rotisserie to make it more adjustable.  Right now, the solution level has to be just right to keep the label out and the record submerged.  Actually, things would be simpler if the cleaning tank were just a cm longer... but it's not.  An lp is about 1/8 inch too big.  You can put it in at an angle, but then it will only hold 2 lps, or raise it up until you gain clearance to let it run 3 lps at a time. 

S Clark

« Reply #43 on: 6 Aug 2016, 08:06 pm »
I've now probably cleaned over 250 lp's, filtered solution 5-6 times, replaced it twice.  My experience is that no degradation occurs, no extra noise introduced, and just very clean, quiet vinyl is the result. 
On lp's that had previously been wet vacuum cleaned, there is still a noticeable improvement.  On thrift store stuff, I wipe them down with a wet cloth first.  In both cases, this $150 cleaner is excellent. 

Folsom

« Reply #44 on: 2 Sep 2016, 04:15 am »
Scott, how many litres is your unit?

S Clark

« Reply #45 on: 5 Sep 2016, 03:09 am »
Sorry that I didn't notice this... been out of town.  Mine has a 6.5L capacity, and it's barely large enough. 

JDUBS

« Reply #46 on: 6 Sep 2016, 03:41 am »
S Clark, are you still liking it? 

What fluid do you use?

Thanks,
Jim

S Clark

« Reply #47 on: 6 Sep 2016, 04:04 am »
It cleans much, much better than just using a Nitty Gritty. I'll never go back to just vacuum.   The solution is water, alcohol, and triton X.   There are lots of recipes out there.  It does need to be filtered reasonably often (~30 lps) and changed every 60-90.
I still use a vacuum to dry, and believe it's an important step

JDUBS

« Reply #48 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:35 pm »
This looks neat for this cleaner, but $380???  Over 2x the cost of the Ultrasonic cleaner itself...

http://cleanervinyl.weebly.com/cleanervinyl-pro.html

-Jim

S Clark

« Reply #49 on: 15 Sep 2016, 11:04 pm »
Yeah, that's kind of silly for some spacers and a ten dollar stepper motor.   And I really don't think it would work that well.  I try to space my lp's > 1 wavelength apart... about 3 cm.  He advertises 12 lp's at a time... no way.  I can get three, but usually one or two just because it's easier. 

JDUBS

« Reply #50 on: 15 Sep 2016, 11:54 pm »
Yeah, that's kind of silly for some spacers and a ten dollar stepper motor.   And I really don't think it would work that well.  I try to space my lp's > 1 wavelength apart... about 3 cm.  He advertises 12 lp's at a time... no way.  I can get three, but usually one or two just because it's easier.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.....

-Jim

undertowogt1

« Reply #51 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:47 am »
This thread as been inactive for a while, and in the meantime the cost of ultrasonic cleaners has really come down.
I've been trying out this unit for about a week, and I'm really impressed- and for under $130 to my door.  I've got a little 1 rmp motor on its way from China for another $8.  With a few bits and pieces from the garage, I'll have this thing working on automatic for just about $150  :o.  It specs very similar to the commercial record cleaning units, and seems to be reasonably well made. 
I suspect a motorized multi LP arm will take me a couple of hours to make... not super complicated. 
I'll dry on my Nitty Gritty.   
Updates after the motor arrives.

This all sounds great, I am sure it would be a step up from my DIY Vacum RCM. Do you have a link for your DIY kit?

Folsom

« Reply #52 on: 16 Sep 2016, 02:45 am »
There is no kit. That expensive thing is all there is... Shit, I'd buy it if I thought the price was no more than 3x the cost. But it seems high, or the means of production are wildly inefficient. (such as 3D printing instead of hiring a plastics place for a small run)

S Clark

« Reply #53 on: 16 Sep 2016, 03:37 am »
My rig was not a kit, just an ebay ultrasonic unit, an ebay 110V stepper motor, and some parts out of the garage.  I hot glued two bits of plywood, one to hold the motor, one with a V slot to support a pencil.  The pencil attached to the motor shaft with friction fit to a piece of a plastic straw.  The straw attached to the shaft with a pin, but you could hot glue it also.  The record goes on the pencil, spaced and held with 2 three" diameter pieces of foam with a hole in the center.  The foam keeps the record from slipping on the shaft and spaces if you clean more than one at a time. 
Look at reply #28 in this thread for a photo. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2016, 08:15 pm »
Sorry that I didn't notice this... been out of town.  Mine has a 6.5L capacity, and it's barely large enough.

I found the 6 L Capacity on ebay, linked below. Are you sure your cleaner is 6.5? I want to buy one but want to make sure it will fit a record of course

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6L-Digital-Stainless-Steel-Ultra-Sonic-Bath-Cleaning-Tank-Cleaner-Timer-Heater-/302031320187?hash=item465278347b:g:1eoAAOSwJqpXoYPA

S Clark

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2016, 08:27 pm »
That sure looks like the same one.  On the plate with serial # it states the capacity as 6.5L, along with the voltage, amps, etc. 
Looks like they've gone up about $40.  But I can attest that they do work well. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2016, 11:41 pm »
That sure looks like the same one.  On the plate with serial # it states the capacity as 6.5L, along with the voltage, amps, etc. 
Looks like they've gone up about $40.  But I can attest that they do work well.

Here is the plate off the one I see on ebay. As you can see it says 6 L. I guess the real question would be, are your dimensions on your plate the same  as the dimensions on this plate?

S Clark

« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2016, 11:58 pm »
Yep, those are the same dimensions.  With a full tank, records can go straight in.  My solution comes up to within about an inch of the top, and my records go in at a slight angle to get them to fit.  I simply have my axle moveable on the side away from the motor. 

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #58 on: 16 Oct 2016, 02:09 am »
If my math is correct, 300mm x 150mm x 150mm is 6.75L.  6.0, 6.5, 6.75L, we're all friends right  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #59 on: 16 Oct 2016, 02:46 am »
My guess is that those dimensions are to the very top of the tank, and the 6 or 6.5L capacity is some estimation of working volume.  Regardless, it's about 3 mm short of letting an lp fit completely into it, so you either have to immerse part way (no problem since you don't want the label wet) or put it an an angle.