ModWright with Vandersteen

rmdmoore

ModWright with Vandersteen
« on: 13 Jan 2023, 02:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Just joined the circle and was brought here by the large ModWright presence. I've recently become very interested in their gear but given where I live it's extremely hard to listen to. My current system is mostly analog driven with a Brinkmann Bardo table with their 10.5 arm and an ortofon cadenza black cartridge into a Rogers High Fidelity PA-2 phono stage. My Pre is currently a Don Sachs model 2 which is magical but has some limitations with regard to both XLR and well as channel balance. The modwright LS100 is a really intreguing preamp to me as is the KE150 SE amplifier. Has anyone used these with vandersteen Quatro or similar speakers? if so, what has your experience been?

Best,
Russ

jjss49

Re: ModWright with Vandersteen
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2023, 08:39 pm »
I have Sachs pre, and also have had, in the past Dan Wright's SWL9.0 tube linestage, driving a wide variety of solid state, hybrid and all tube power amps.

Based on my experiences, I would say that

1) the Sachs unit can sound quite different based on the tubes used in it... with upper crust tubes in it, the Sachs pre is very similar to Dan's work with his tube linestages - a very extended (not at all rolled off) treble, expansive and holographic soundstaging with a real sense of depth, and a very pleasing 'embodying' effect on vocals and solid, medium fast and deep bass response... not quite up to 'tip top solid state' levels bass control and attack but still very good, and plenty convincing with a good amount of 'air' around bass notes

2) Being a big fan (and frequent owner) of Dan's units over the years, I believe his core sonic philosophy is very similar to that of modern Audio Research... to provide the best attributes of tube gear (warmth, dimensionality, holography) without the typical downsides (muddled rolled off treble, smeared slow sounding bass).  As one moves up his range of pre and power amps, he more and more closely achieves that ideal

3) Dan is a good guy, still provides the personal touch in dealing with customers, is reachable via phone and email, so don't hesitate to try to reach out to him to discuss specific models and their sonic traits... he is a straight shooter.

Hope this helps at least a little.