Abyss Diana Headphones...Unparalleled sound and build quality

Freo-1

Today, received a pair of Abyss Diana headphones, which are replacing a pair of Audeze LCD-3 headphones.  As much a I enjoyed the Adueze cans, found them to be a bit too recessed in the upper mid-range and treble region for my liking.  The bass and mid-range from the LCD-3 is very seductive, and can draw the listener into the music.  This tonal combination works pretty well for most rock/jazz, as it tames the sizzle out of the hot recordings.  However, with classical, symphonic music, it can be a bit too much of a good thing.

So, the Diana was obtained to address the issues with the LCD-3.  The question is:  Does it succeed?  The response is resounding yes!

The Diana headphone comes the closet I have come across in the headphone world to sounding like speakers.  That's pretty hard to do, but these cans pull it off quite well.  They are classified as on ear/portable, but in reality, they are more like a full range semi open back back headphone.  The driver is a 63 mm planar design semi open design.  I found that my ears fit inside the earcups, which are attached magnetically for easy replacement.  There is a later improved version of the earpad available from JPS labs, which the ear is designed to be fully covered.  The frames are machined from aircraft aluminum, and exude a high level of build quality, which makes the headphone feel light but solid. 

There is plenty of bass, which is very tight and well defined, yet not overemphasized.  The bass is very well balanced.  The mid range is incredible.  Never heard a headphone (non Stax) sound this good.  Sting instruments are reproduced with amazing clarity and accuracy (which thee LCD-3 didn't do so well).  Horns sound realistic, which is not easy for any speaker, especially headphones.  Vocals has almost spooky realism to them as well.  The treble is very clean and extended, but never overemphasized with good recordings.  Dynamic contrast is also excellent, as loud passages do run out of gas and start to sound compressed.  Being planar cans, a good amp is highly recommended to drive them.  I have that some users have had good luck with use of portable amps with the Diana.

These headphones have really raised expectations regarding just how good headphones can sound.    Here's the kicker:  Abyss has recently come out with an updated driver called Phi that raises the bar even further. 

In summary: If you are considering getting a reference quality of dynamic cans, need to give these an audition.  To me, these set a benchmark that is hard to match, or exceed.

Type: On-ear stereo headphones[/size]Large 63 mm planar magnetic transducer (unique patent-pending design) deliver stunning soundSemi-open back design (directional limited interference)Impedance: 40 OhmsSensitivity: 91dB/mwWeight: 330 gramsIncludes cable by JPS Labs, length 1.5 meter/5 FT, with 3.5 mm stereo plug/6.3mm adaptor (4 pin XLR, 2.5mm balanced, or 4.4 mm Pentaconn plug available)[/color]

Jon L

Are these Diana V2?  (not Phi).

I do love my Abyss 1266 Phi TC but haven't tried the Diana line. 
My biggest problem with JPS Labs headphones is the price, really.  TOTL headphones are sporting some blinding prices these days, e.g. Hifima Susvara at $6000! 

It's funny you mention Audeze LCD 3, as I recently auditioned LCD 2 ($1000) and LCD 4Z ($4000) and was thinking about getting LCD2 as my super-forgiving yet sumptuous rock/metal headphones.   :lol:

Wind Chaser

TOTL headphones are sporting some blinding prices these days, e.g. Hifima Susvara at $6000!

$6000 is nothing compared to the price of TOTL speakers.  :wink:

Factor in the price of TOTL amplification and headphones are a downright bargain compared to speakers.  8)

Freo-1

$6000 is nothing compared to the price of TOTL speakers.  ;)

Factor in the price of TOTL amplification and headphones are a downright bargain compared to speakers.  8)

Good point.  Still, the cost of a Blue Hawaii amp and Stax SR-009 cans can get up there, not mention the DAC.   :D

Freo-1

Are these Diana V2?  (not Phi).

I do love my Abyss 1266 Phi TC but haven't tried the Diana line. 
My biggest problem with JPS Labs headphones is the price, really.  TOTL headphones are sporting some blinding prices these days, e.g. Hifima Susvara at $6000! 

It's funny you mention Audeze LCD 3, as I recently auditioned LCD 2 ($1000) and LCD 4Z ($4000) and was thinking about getting LCD2 as my super-forgiving yet sumptuous rock/metal headphones.   :lol:

I would love to own the 1266 cans.  The Diana cans I picked up are the V1 with the V2 ear pads.  I do think down the line, will look to get the Diana Phi cans.

My guilty pleasure headphone for rock and blues is the Sony MDR Z7.  With high quality amps, it boogies quite well those music types.

stlrman

Congratulations!!
Here is a great review:
https://www.headfonia.com/abyss-diana-v2-review/