Here are a couple of Headphone Amps I'd like to audition

Freo-1

Re: Here are a couple of Headphone Amps I'd like to audition
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:38 pm »
You need to try these:

https://www.moon-audio.com/raal-sr1a-ribbon-headphone-with-interface.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-XttYPt5wIVA6SzCh17ZQVZEAYYASABEgI46_D_BwE

:D

The lastest craze in headphones or ear speakers.....since the AKG1000's...

Also the the ZMF Verite's are being touted as some of the best headphones regardless of being non-planars...

So many choices.....and very good choices too...

Its good your finding your niche in this never ending hobby!

Alex

Also check these out:  https://forum.headphones.com/t/hedd-audio-heddphone-official-thread/3179

Rave reviews.

These look interesting.  I'd be very leery of the ribbon transducers, as I would think it would be prone to failure/wearing out. 

The AMT does look interesting.  I vaguely remember the AMT tweeter. It got a lot good press at the time, but never seemed to catch on.

Freo-1

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:47 pm »
I'm not interested in bragging or bragging rights. All I want is one set of headphones that can make me happy with every type of music I listen too. I definitely do not want to own or go through several sets of headphones and several amplifiers on some never ending curiosity quest.

There is one lesser expensive option that based on everything I've read will make me smile a lot and that complicates things... It might come down to a coin toss, but either way it will be something of a Hail Mary since I won't be able to audition either option prior to purchase. OTOH there's no where to go but up from the Philips, which btw I do enjoy.

Getting back to amps, thanks for pointing out the Jotunheim "R".

I hear you.  Getting a good sounding headphone setup you are happy with is not as easy as it seems.  The really tricky thing is to get the headphone that best suits your DAC and amp.  I continue to be surprised how different the same headphone can sound with different amp/DAC combos. 

I can report that the Pure Bipolar is a special amp.  Bob Katz compared it favorably with a Stax/KGSS/HV setup, along with a Pass Labs HP-1.  The Pure Bipolar can be found second hand for as little as 900.00 on occasion.  I doubt I'll be changing it out anytime soon.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:58 pm »
These look interesting.  I'd be very leery of the ribbon transducers, as I would think it would be prone to failure/wearing out. 

The AMT does look interesting.  I vaguely remember the AMT tweeter. It got a lot good press at the time, but never seemed to catch on.

RAAL has user replaceable ribbons.  :green:

The AMT Heddphone looks intriguing but issues with comfort, weight and fit have been well documented by some with hands on experience.  :dunno:

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:01 pm »
RAAL has user replaceable ribbons.  :green:

The AMT Heddphone looks intriguing but issues with comfort, weight and fit have been well documented by some with hands on experience.  :dunno:

So, the RAAL would be owing a tube amp, in that the ribbons would need occasional replacing.  Do you happen to know the cost?

Regarding the AMT, that would be a non-starter.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:07 pm »
I don't think it's a given that one will ever have to replace the ribbons, but they are available for $350 a pair. Takes just a few to swap them in and out.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:09 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:17 pm by adydula »

Freo-1

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:13 pm »
Ribbons do degrade over time.  Having said that, I would tend to think that the phones would sound excellent.