What amp are you using with your Songtowers

0425antgray

What amp are you using with your Songtowers
« on: 28 Sep 2016, 10:28 am »
I have a Yamaha integrated amp, the AS1000.  The song towers are an amazing set of speakers, anyone had any luck pairing them with a great amplifier?

Big Red Machine

Re: What amp are you using with your Songtowers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:47 am »
Yes!!!

But put into perspective the overall budget for your system and what your goals are. Are the ST's your final journey or a stop on the bandwagon? Depending on where you are headed will dictate how much you "invest" in amplifiers.

I am sure the Yamaha is decent, but I can guarantee you an upscale amp will really make them sing. And don't forget about tubed amps.

Don't sweat it, there's only a million choices out there! :duh: :thumb:

0425antgray

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:01 pm »
Yes!!!

But put into perspective the overall budget for your system and what your goals are. Are the ST's your final journey or a stop on the bandwagon? Depending on where you are headed will dictate how much you "invest" in amplifiers.

I am sure the Yamaha is decent, but I can guarantee you an upscale amp will really make them sing. And don't forget about tubed amps.

Don't sweat it, there's only a million choices out there! :duh: :thumb:

0425antgray

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm »
The more I listen to them the more I like them. At this point yes I believe the song towers are my final resting spot. Right now, I am eyeballing the wells audio Majestic and the Rogue audio Cronus Magnum 2.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:32 pm »
The more I listen to them the more I like them. At this point yes I believe the song towers are my final resting spot. Right now, I am eyeballing the wells audio Majestic and the Rogue audio Cronus Magnum 2.

I had Songtower's and now I have Dennis Murphy's big brother speaker, the Philharmonic 3. I still miss my Songtowers.

I will say, don't undervalue your Yamaha. I have an A-S801 in my 2nd system and I used it for a short time with the STs. It was a great match. In fact, the guy I sold my STs to liked it so much he bought an A-S801.

I've owned the Wells Majestic and it is a fantastic amp. But honestly, for that kind of budget I think you can do better. In the effort to make the Wells "tube like" I feel like it was pushed too far to the extreme and doesn't sound natural. It was just too polite for me. Even on my Phils which have RAAL Ribbon Tweets.

I ran my ST's for most of their tenure in my home with a Job 225 and Pre2 combo and always thought that it was an amazing combo. I know you are looking at integrated's... so perhaps take a look at the Job Integrated. Reviews are good and I have no doubt it would be a great pairing. Price is excellent for what you get as well.

I'm currently pushing the Phil's with Odyssey Kismet Monoblock's and a Modwright LS100 preamp. The combo is fabulous. If you are willing to go seperates, I would consider an Odyssey Amp and matching Candela Tube Pre. I think the Odyssey stuff and Salk is a great match.

I would also seriously consider looking at Prima Luna and Line Magnetic for tube integrateds. I would take either of them over the Rogue.

My 2 cents.

- Woody

0425antgray

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:43 pm »
I have heard through the grapevine that tubes sound good with the song Towers. And also either way, integrated or separates I'd really prefer to keep it under 3500

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:05 pm »
I have heard through the grapevine that tubes sound good with the song Towers.

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.  :thumb:  I drove my STs with an AVA Fetvalve 550 for 7 years, then swapped that out for the AVA Ultravalve @ 35 wpc. Whole different & to my ears, better, sound. While all the usual factors come in play - room size, treatments, type of music, and listening levels, I doubt you'd be disappointed with the change. As to how low you can go powerwise with tubes is probably better addressed by Jim or others with experience. I know for my experience while the hybrid was a viable backup, I wouldn't change back unless forced.

Maybe worth noting I was using an AVA Ultra EC pre most of the time with the STs, with some AVA T-8 time, and finally an AVA CF tube pre.

0425antgray

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:13 pm »
I am very intrigued by Frank Van Alstyne products.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:39 pm »
+1 for AVA. I have a tube preamp/ss power amp that used to run ST's. Now AVA runs my new Phil's 3 and ST's are powered by an old NAD.  NAD needs to be replaced for sure.

I think you can get a T10 tube preamp and Synergy 240 for $2100 plus shipping,  and save the rest for buying good recordings as you will need them!

0425antgray

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2016, 04:53 pm »
I really appreciate everyone's response. I did send Jim, the mastermind who built my speakers, a pm.

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2016, 06:11 pm »
The SongTowers have been an easy drive for every amp or integrated I've tried. Tube amps include Latino ST70, Latino ST120, VTL 50/50, Line Magnetic 218ia( integrated). Solid state includes Classdaudio SDS 254 and Music Hall A25.2 .( integrated ) The 4 ohm impedance rating was no issue whatsoever for any of the tube amps. All the amps mentioned aside from the integrateds were used with a tube pre-amp.

audiocrazy

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:07 pm »
When I had ST initially I used Outlaw multi-channel 770 and then upgraded to Parasound Halo A21.
Parasound made the Song Tower sing more beautifully.
I also used Parasound with SS8 but then i upgraded to ATI Signature Series Amp.

andrewinukm

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2018, 08:13 am »
I had Songtower's and now I have Dennis Murphy's big brother speaker, the Philharmonic 3. I still miss my Songtowers.

I will say, don't undervalue your Yamaha. I have an A-S801 in my 2nd system and I used it for a short time with the STs. It was a great match. In fact, the guy I sold my STs to liked it so much he bought an A-S801.

I've owned the Wells Majestic and it is a fantastic amp. But honestly, for that kind of budget I think you can do better. In the effort to make the Wells "tube like" I feel like it was pushed too far to the extreme and doesn't sound natural. It was just too polite for me. Even on my Phils which have RAAL Ribbon Tweets.

I ran my ST's for most of their tenure in my home with a Job 225 and Pre2 combo and always thought that it was an amazing combo. I know you are looking at integrated's... so perhaps take a look at the Job Integrated. Reviews are good and I have no doubt it would be a great pairing. Price is excellent for what you get as well.

I'm currently pushing the Phil's with Odyssey Kismet Monoblock's and a Modwright LS100 preamp. The combo is fabulous. If you are willing to go seperates, I would consider an Odyssey Amp and matching Candela Tube Pre. I think the Odyssey stuff and Salk is a great match.

I would also seriously consider looking at Prima Luna and Line Magnetic for tube integrateds. I would take either of them over the Rogue.

My 2 cents.

- Woody

Sorry to revive this old thread. But I couldn't help noticed that you have (had) the Yamaha A-S801 and Job 225. Would you be able to give some details on how do both of them compare to each other? And which is the better amp?

Empoweryou

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:46 am »
Currently using the Yammie A-S801(silver). I think it's a nice amp for the SC songtowers, however it has a fixed sub crossover. I plan to upgrade to the Parasound integrated for additional features.

kclark0395

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm »
I'm powering my Songtowers with a Rogue Sphinx and they are a great match. I've not tried any other amp, though at some point I'd like to upgrade to the Rogue Pharaoh.

Ictwoody

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2018, 02:11 pm »
Sorry to revive this old thread. But I couldn't help noticed that you have (had) the Yamaha A-S801 and Job 225. Would you be able to give some details on how do both of them compare to each other? And which is the better amp?

Sorry. Just now seeing this.

The 225 is superior. It's very FAST sounding. It's hard to explain until you hear it. It handles fine details and transients better. The A-S801 is a great integrated, but if you wanted to go integrated I would still look at a JOB INT over the Yamaha. The Yamaha is a bit dry when it comes to musicality and tone. It does a KILLER job and I would say it is one of the best values under $1k, but the Job, with it's Goldmund DNA it really is great.

The only downside of the Job is that it's high input sensitivity makes it hard to pair with a lot of preamps. I used it with a Luminous Audio Axiom 2 passive, and with the Job Pre2. I preferred the active line stage of the Job by far. It just had better PRAT.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I've got thread notifications on now.

- Woody

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2018, 07:06 pm »
Sorry. Just now seeing this.

The 225 is superior. It's very FAST sounding. It's hard to explain until you hear it. It handles fine details and transients better. The A-S801 is a great integrated, but if you wanted to go integrated I would still look at a JOB INT over the Yamaha. The Yamaha is a bit dry when it comes to musicality and tone. It does a KILLER job and I would say it is one of the best values under $1k, but the Job, with it's Goldmund DNA it really is great.

The only downside of the Job is that it's high input sensitivity makes it hard to pair with a lot of preamps. I used it with a Luminous Audio Axiom 2 passive, and with the Job Pre2. I preferred the active line stage of the Job by far. It just had better PRAT.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I've got thread notifications on now.

- Woody

I have a Job 225 amp that I'm using with Song3's and an Exogal Comet as the DAC/Preamp. It sounds great -- really special combo. I also have a Primaluna Dialogue integrated that is my primary amp. I got the Job to have a solid state option in the warmer months because the PL gets pretty warm, and I was just intrigued by the lineage of the Job amp and wanted to listen to it. It is for real. Although I haven't owned a lot of solid state amps I think this has been my favorite. It has a great balanced sound, lots of control on the bass, expressive midrange. Projects a beautiful image and is super quiet. Very close sounding to the PL, but not quite as organic or lush sounding, but I also think I prefer the even order distortion that tubes provide.

That being said, I also picked up the NuForce STA-200 amp. It also uses the Goldmund circuit and from what I've seen and read it is essentially the exact same amp internally except it has fewer output transistors so it is 80 wpc instead of 125 wpc that the Job provides. My plan is to test the NuForce the next week or two. If I don't miss the extra watts, and I don't think I will, I may sell the Job and keep the NuForce. If the Job is clearly better I'll part with the NuForce. If you're interested in a Job 225 amp pm me and I'll keep you posted on what my move is.

Delta77

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2018, 08:38 pm »
I have heard through the grapevine that tubes sound good with the song Towers. And also either way, integrated or separates I'd really prefer to keep it under 3500

Song Towers
Floorstanding   2-way
transmission line   88dB   4 ohms minimum
6 ohms average

I'm new to this game so take my point of view for whats worth..!!
From what I see the S.T.'s  are 88db efficient..??
You will need a fairly powerful Tube Amp ( $$$$ ).. They are out there but I believe are hit or miss ( system dependent )..

I agree with ICT WOODY on the Odyssey Amp and a nice Tube Preamp..
Get a decent SS amp and Voice it with the Tube preamp..!!
I own a Odyssey "Stratos++"   which is paired with a   Decware "CSP3"   preamp.. ( this is my recommendation )..

I had a Odyssey  ,"Candella" preamp .. But the Decware  "CSP3" preamp made me sell the Candella ..
In my opinion the Decware preamp OUTCLASSED the Candella with one arm tied behind it's back.. ( still have yet to roll any of the stock tubes ) 

1. Odyssey amp ( used )  -- $700 to $1200
2. Decware   (csp3 , with 25th anniversary mod )  preamp  --  $1300  to  $1800 
                     Total $ 2,000  to  $3,000
Spend remaining on $500 to $700 on Cable upgrades  (Full Loom of "Crossover line" from  CullenCable )..

Again I'm somewhat new to this game , but from the experience I have with these products ( brands ) I'm very satisfied..
I'm Running an OPPO 205 and TEKTON Seas Pendragon's .. (FYI)

Ictwoody

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:09 pm »
Lots of people run the Songtowers to GREAT effect with PP EL34 amps at about 30wpc. The STs are a pretty easy load and I don't think I would worry about needing a lot of power. I liked my Odyssey Kismet in Khartagos a lot... but there are a ton of good options out there now. A lot of what I would recommend would be based on what type of room you have them in.

Since you're using an A-S801 now, then sticking with an integrated might be a good option as well. JobINT, Primaluna, Line Magnetic, Parasound HaloINT, would all be on my list to consider.

I just remembered that my friend who I sold my STs too bought an A-S801 to use with them and he still is to this day. It's a solid combo, so don't expect to be BLOWN away with the differences a new amp might bring. The STs are still doing the heavy lifting as far as how its going to sound.

- Woody

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:26 pm »
Lots of people run the Songtowers to GREAT effect with PP EL34 amps at about 30wpc. The STs are a pretty easy load and I don't think I would worry about needing a lot of power. I liked my Odyssey Kismet in Khartagos a lot... but there are a ton of good options out there now. A lot of what I would recommend would be based on what type of room you have them in.

Since you're using an A-S801 now, then sticking with an integrated might be a good option as well. JobINT, Primaluna, Line Magnetic, Parasound HaloINT, would all be on my list to consider.

I just remembered that my friend who I sold my STs too bought an A-S801 to use with them and he still is to this day. It's a solid combo, so don't expect to be BLOWN away with the differences a new amp might bring. The STs are still doing the heavy lifting as far as how its going to sound.

- Woody

Well said, agree 100%. Watts are overrated. My 35-40 wpc (depending on tubes) Primaluna tube integrated has more bass slam than amps that I've had with 100+ wpc. Peachtree integrated's also sound great with songtowers.