The new RS8 based speakers

mick wolfe

Re: The new RS8 based speakers
« Reply #20 on: 8 Mar 2017, 09:04 pm »
I believe the RS5 is about 4.5" in diameter, which would give a nominal cone area of 10.13 in2.  Assuming the RS8 has an 8" diameter, it's cone area would be 16 in2, about 60% greater than two RS5's.

My RS5 drivers measure  4".  Now that's the actual cone itself and not any part of the frame.  If the RS5 cone was 4.5" in diameter, I would agree. Mine aren't.

roscoe65

« Reply #21 on: 8 Mar 2017, 09:28 pm »
True.  But the 8" driver might not be 8" either.

mick wolfe

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2017, 11:28 pm »
 I think you're probably correct or at least more correct with your 60% figure. The diameter of the RS5 measured across edge to edge is 4" flat.  That's fine, but the driver itself isn't a flat circle. I'm then assuming the stated 4.5 " driver size is determined based on the slope distance from edge of cone to the center of driver. ( measured on the real face of the driver itself) So that distance could very believeably be 2.25".  Now if  this paper thin theory is  somehow correct, the slope distance of the 8" driver edge of cone to driver center would simply be 4". The 2 radii are now 2.25" and 4".  That would equate to 3.16-RS5 drivers = 1-RS8 driver. I concede, but more importantly, time for a beer.

roscoe65

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2017, 11:57 pm »
None of that really means anything really.  If size=sound we would all be listening to 30" Fostex woofers.

It does give some indication of the amount of air it can move.  As good as a single RS5 driver is it simply cannot produce the amount of bass a larger driver can in a reflex enclosure.  A four inch driver can only do so much.

I do find the RS8 driver intriguing, particularly the whizzer cone.  The whizzer on the RS7 and Alnico driver is smaller and sits higher away from the main cone.  In contrast, the RS8 whizzer appears to be about the same size as a RS5 cone (although not as shallow) and sits much closer to the main cone.  This may contribute to its sonic resemblance to the RS5.  Being close to the main cone cold ameliorate some artifacts some people have encountered with whizzer cones due to the interaction of sound waves in the space between the two cones.  A common "fix" has been to put a lightweight foam ring behind the whizzer to dampen this interaction.

That being said, there is a tradition of legendary small cone, whizzerless full range drivers.  The Fostex drivers previously used in Omega speakers fall into this category as do a number of great but cheap-looking Japanese wide range drivers.  Before the RS5 my favorite were a pair of 5" Diatone (Mitsubishi) PM610A Alnico speakers.  They behaved very much like a smaller version of an Altec 755A.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:06 am »
These new RS8 speakers look mighty fine.

I'm hoping they can provide enough body that a sub is not necessary.  My current speakers are Vandersteen 1C's which have a listed frequency response of 38Hz to 22,500Hz.  In practice I find their bass to sufficient for most music in my current listening environment.  The Junior 8XRS is also listed as acheiving an similar frequency response. 

I listen to a lot of 60s-70s rock on vinyl and like the pulsing drive of the distorted guitars.  Would the RS8 be up to the task of fleshing out some classic rock?

pursuitofnow

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:00 pm »
will we see a HO (dual RS8) in the future?

saygrr

« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm »
What is the function of a whizzer cone?

I am also wondering if Louis will be offering this in a HO model.

I live in Wi. and would like to hear Omega speakers. Hopefully I will get to hear Omega  at Axpona one of these years.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:03 am »
Whizzer extends high frequencies.

roscoe65

« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:36 am »
While I'm sure a 1.5 way could work, we may find it to be at the point of diminishing returns.  The second RS5 driver is brought in at 500hz and the second Alnico driver is brought in at 200hz.  I can see the RS8 driver coming in even lower, say 120hz or below.  Remember that we are simply trying to bring up the bass region to match the midrange.  Unless the RS8 has a significantly rising response, I wouldn't expect a 1.5 way to offer the same benefits as it does with the smaller drivers.  I would however expect this speaker to work really well with the Deepomega8.

stellablues

« Reply #29 on: 16 Mar 2017, 05:01 am »
I'm looking for recommendations for my first Omega speaker. This one looks like the sweet spot in the full range options from Omega. I have not ever heard any omega speakers and never a full range speaker in a private setting.

I listen to modern jazz trios, acoustic music of all kind, ambient electronic music mostly in the evening ... my room is about 20x13x8 but not dedicated.  I have a Decware Mystery amp pushing 83db two way speakers and I just always feel like i am missing some life in my speakers. I upgraded the xovers with great expense but the magic still really didn't come.

suggestions?

jorgen

« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2017, 10:36 am »
With that HQ amp you have so many options. I personally would recommend to go for the Alnico based speakers, but really that is not the only option and probably much based upon personal  taste.  All of them are good. Focus on what would suit your room. I'm using the HO Alnico speakers in a smaller cabinet than the Omega top line speakers and they sound really good. However some users find the smaller 4,5" driver to be even faster and very very good as well. Steve at Decware and Louis offer a HO version through the Decware website and that should be a great testimony for a very good match between Decware and Omega.

nature boy

« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm »
These new RS8 speakers look mighty fine.

I'm hoping they can provide enough body that a sub is not necessary.  My current speakers are Vandersteen 1C's which have a listed frequency response of 38Hz to 22,500Hz.  In practice I find their bass to sufficient for most music in my current listening environment.  The Junior 8XRS is also listed as achieving an similar frequency response. 

I listen to a lot of 60s-70s rock on vinyl and like the pulsing drive of the distorted guitars.  Would the RS8 be up to the task of fleshing out some classic rock?

I went from Vandersteen 2CE Signatures to an older version of Omega speakers with an 8" alnico driver, never looked back.  I recently purchased a pair of floor standing Super Alnico High Output XRS speakers (dual 6" drivers).  While I enjoy both Omega speakers immensely, the High Output speakers are faster, resolve complex music much better and have noticeably better (more truthful to my ears) bass response.  I have a Decware Mystery Amp and CSP3 preamp arriving tomorrow, so I'll be able to share insights on the Mystery Amp - Decware SAHO speaker combination in a week or so. 

FWIW, I suggest you give Louis a call at Omega.  He can give you his candid opinion based on your listening room, equipment, and musical preferences. Keep in mind the smaller drivers are faster and HO models to a better job resolving complex music.  You'll love the Omega's on stringed instruments, they are just incredibly realistic.

NB

saygrr

« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:32 pm »
Thanks for your post NB. That is quite the complement going from the 2CE Signature to the  older version 8 inch Omega and not looking back. Gives readers like me an idea how Omega speakers compete against the more well known speakers. If we lived closer to each other I would make the effort to have a listen to your system.

I noticed this morning the Seper 8 XRS and Junior 8 XRS are on the Omega web sight.

If I should make a speaker change the Super Alnico HO Monitor is a speaker that would be considered.

The Super 3 HO XRS I just like the looks of it. I like the narrow front. If Louis made a line array with those drivers maybe  4 drivers I wonder  if it would deliver the scale of large symphonic music with a pair of subs?

Omega has a nice interesting line of speakers. Might fly to Connecticut some day to listen.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #33 on: 4 Apr 2017, 06:42 pm »
I ended up ordering the Junior 8XRS speakers which will be a better fit for my room.

Does anyone know the material used for the RS8 drivers?  I know they have some proprietary fiber blend used but I'm curious what that consists up and what impact it has on the lightness and stiffness.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #34 on: 15 Apr 2017, 07:48 pm »
Maybe these drivers are too new to have impressions from customers.  Hopefully mine will be ready early next month and I'll be able to give them some time to break in.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2017, 02:59 pm »
RS8 are a fiber cone, I don't know more than that. They sound amazing though, similar to the RS5 with better bass/impact. I'm sure you'll be happy.  :)

restrav

« Reply #36 on: 16 Apr 2017, 05:15 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2019, 01:32 pm by restrav »

mrvco

« Reply #37 on: 16 Apr 2017, 11:34 pm »
Does anyone have any idea how the Super 8's compare to the Super 7's yet?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 17 Apr 2017, 03:48 pm »
is it possible to update the old compact hemps with the new RS8 drivers?

If your drivers have the six screw pattern, the new RS8 should drop right in, as he is using the same basket.  Possibly the bass port may need tuning by shortening it or getting a longer one.  Louis would know best about cabinet tuning with the new driver.

roscoe65

« Reply #39 on: 17 Apr 2017, 04:06 pm »
If your drivers have the six screw pattern, the new RS8 should drop right in, as he is using the same basket.  Possibly the bass port may need tuning by shortening it or getting a longer one.  Louis would know best about cabinet tuning with the new driver.

This system is just begging for a driver upgrade:  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-omega-speaker-systems-compact-hemp-deep-hemp-system-superb-single-driver-pair-w-subs-2017-04-14-speakers-29464-mount-pleasant-sc--3?refsource=hifishark

If the RS8 driver upgrade is anything like the RS5 upgrade this could be an absolute killer system for ~$2k.