BP 26, era of manufacture

tipatina

BP 26, era of manufacture
« on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:52 pm »
Are there any differences over the years of manufacture of this unit? I am considering a used purchase of a 2003 BP26. Will it be any different from the units being built currenly? It will be replacing my BP20 which I am not unhappy with. Any predictions on the sound improvements? Amp=4BSST, Source=Cambridge Audio 840, Speakers = Vandersteen 3 sig. Thanks

1oldguy

Re: BP 26, era of manufacture
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:27 pm »
Would only seem logical that there may have been refinements in this product.Would like to know this myself as well.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:28 pm »
I'm not saying upgrading to a BP26 wouldn't improve things, but I'd think a new source would bring more of an improvement.  In your shoes, I'd be looking at something like a BDA-1 first.

Unless of course there's a serious need for a new preamp. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:37 pm »
Are there any differences over the years of manufacture of this unit? I am considering a used purchase of a 2003 BP26. Will it be any different from the units being built currenly? It will be replacing my BP20 which I am not unhappy with. Any predictions on the sound improvements? Amp=4BSST, Source=Cambridge Audio 840, Speakers = Vandersteen 3 sig. Thanks

James would know. Ask him. And welcome to the Forum!

zeke

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2010, 05:59 pm »
tipatina,
did you ever find out if there have been updates or changes to the bp26 over the years ??

zeke

tipatina

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:24 am »
no, still waiting but appreciate the responses so far.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2010, 11:40 am »
no, still waiting but appreciate the responses so far.

Sorry - just saw this - no changes in the BP26 since first released.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:00 pm »
 Hi James

According to this video for Audio Adviser they say the remote is included with the BP-26.
Have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0qpF28KtQ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:30 pm »
Hi James

According to this video for Audio Adviser they say the remote is included with the BP-26.
Have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0qpF28KtQ

Yes a few years ago the remote was included in the BP25/26 and it was just a simple remote that had volume and mute. We had about 5 remotes for 5 different products and the cost of producing 5 different versions was to say the least -nuts! We had to charge a lot. 

So we decided to make only 1 remote that would be universal to all Bryston products and we were able to lower the price about 40% (more purchasing power for parts) but only priced the new remote into the cost of the CD Player (given that you need the remote for the CD Player). 

So once you have purchased a Bryston BR2 remote you did not need to have specific remotes for specific Bryston products.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2010, 02:41 pm »
The less remotes I have the better.5 different remotes would become kinda intense.Not to mention the remotes I already have. :thumb:

1oldguy

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2010, 03:38 pm »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2010, 06:36 pm »
Yeah, I've seen that. Very cool nevertheless.

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:36 pm »
Phase inversion switch.Since I've never used one before I can't say I really know it's effect on the music.Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

1oldguy

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:18 pm »
Phase Invert
    A switch found in the input sections of mixing consoles and mic preamps. The term "phase invert" is actually a misnomer, since what the switch really does is invert the polarity of the signal in that input (correct usage would be "polarity invert"). Its intended use is to correct for balanced lines and mics that are wired backwards. In some cases toggling the phase invert switch may make a sonic difference if signals are out of phase, but doing so will also put that signal out of polarity with the others. (See also WFTD "Phase" and "Polarity

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:32 pm »
The less remotes I have the better.5 different remotes would become kinda intense.Not to mention the remotes I already have. :thumb:

...i like my remotes (26, BCD-1, SP2). in case there will be a trade in for the SP2--SP3 i'd like to keep the SP2 remote as well. it's not that i use them ( i have a Logitech Harmony One) it's more a "collecting" thing.

al.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:43 am »
Phase inversion switch.Since I've never used one before I can't say I really know it's effect on the music.Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

The phase invert switch's effect depends on the recording.  It can make a big difference (good or bad), or no difference.  No difference is usually reserved for over-produced music, though good ones sometimes change from it too, albeit far less often in my experience. 

Not sure if the switch effects the speakers' polarity or not.  A ton of speakers are wired out of phase due to crossover designs (I think).  Reversing the polarity with your speaker wires can make a huge difference - better or worse.   

A dealer showed me that trick - reverse positive and negative on both speakers at one end only.  When I auditioned the Revel F12 towers, they sounded good, but a little too bass heavy and the soundstage was distant.  He reversed the wires, and the bass tightened up (didn't go quite as far down though) and the sounstage came forward.  It was almost like a different speaker. 

My current speakers are in phase and sound best that way.  Since I've heard that demo, I've tried the polarity trick with every pair of speakers.  Very rarely did I not hear a difference. 

My current DAC has a polarity switch.  It benefits music far less often. 

1oldguy

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:59 am »
Thanks STU....I've been officially enlightened.Very interesting.Again thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm »
Phase inversion refers to reversing the polarity 180 degrees on the signal.  Some electronics invert phase (depends on the number of amplifying circuits) and some do not.  Bryston products do NOT invert phase – sometimes called maintains ‘Absolute Phase’.

Back in the day some record companies would make sure that their recordings maintained Absolute Phase throughout the recording chain and would state such on their product (EX: Sheffield Records – simple single microphone recording techniques).

When you record an instrument – lets say a drum – the pressure wave striking the microphone is a positive pressure. So when you play it back you want the woofer in your speaker to move forward and create that same positive pressure in your system.  Depending on the audio system and the number of inverting or non inverting components it was a 50-50 shot. So knowing what each component is doing and whether or not it inverts absolute phase is something that may be important given a specific recording. The problem with multi-mic recordings is depending on the microphone and amplification stages used in a specific recording you may get some instruments with inverted polarity and others in absolute polarity.

In my experiments maintaining absolute polarity can sometimes be heard on instruments that have very well defined transient behaviour.  Listen to a rim shot or a trumpet blast and see if you can detect a difference using the polarity switch on the BP26 – you can use the BR2 remote and do it from your listening seat.  Also listen to voice and see if the singer moves forward or back in the soundstage. The problem sometimes is that the chances of a recording engineer maintaining absolute polarity with any given recording and any particular instrument in a recording is a 50 – 50 shot and many times there is no detectable difference at all.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm »
Thanks James...It even clearer now.It will be interesting to take notes when I get into the critical listening stage.