playing cds through the BDP...

rmurray

playing cds through the BDP...
« on: 29 Mar 2021, 03:29 pm »
 James, forgive my ignorance but in the wake of the BOT's demise I am at lost as to how to playback my cds through the BDP, BDA. It I store  my collection to the BDP with an installed digital drive  how do I do straight playback..?. Thanks for any help ... :scratch: :thumb:

hawkeye99

Re: playing cds through the BDP...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:10 pm »
Did you forget that you asked the same question on Wednesday?

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:13 pm »
I did all my cds through dbpoweramp to my computer.
Now I can make thumb drive playlists and put in the bdp.
Or I can put thumb drives into the Bryfi-2 for the outside deck.
Excellent I don’t have to use cds no more unless I want to purchase a cd for ONE song.

Also have a 3T external hard drive connected to the BDP-2

rmurray

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2021, 07:42 pm »
Did you forget that you asked the same question on Wednesday?
.... :scratch: :duh:sorry about that ....my bad :oops:

rmurray

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2021, 07:43 pm »
I did all my cds through dbpoweramp to my computer.
Now I can make thumb drive playlists and put in the bdp.
Or I can put thumb drives into the Bryfi-2 for the outside deck.
Excellent I don’t have to use cds no more unless I want to purchase a cd for ONE song.

Also have a 3T external hard drive connected to the BDP-2...Thanks for your response ...appreciated  :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:34 pm »
  When all is said and done I hope one day Bryston will put the BOT back into production ( BOT2).I thought it was getting a different drive from LG to replace the discontinued Panasonic one . Would that mean there's hope  for those of us still that prefer to just spin the disc.?  :thumb:  Once again I was so glad that Bryston redid the BCD into an even better player....I love mine , hope to get a second  one. James , please keep producing it.... :P

rmurray

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2021, 11:03 pm »
 James , if I play a cd  through my LG external usb connected drive it will show the tracks on the bdp ?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:35 am »
James , if I play a cd  through my LG external usb connected drive it will show the tracks on the bdp ?

Good question.  Can the BDP interface with an aftermarket drive?  Someone posted a link to an Asus BD-ROM drive.  Kind of overkill for playing CDs!

Was the BOT discontinued because there are no more drive parts?  Are the drives known to fail?  Could be an expensive paperweight!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:54 am »

Yes, the only thing really of concern would maybe be bus powered drives, some consume to much current for some BDP's to drive.

redbook

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2021, 09:26 am »
Yes, the only thing really of concern would maybe be bus powered drives, some consume to much current for some BDP's to drive.   Hello . It's my turn to be confused LOL. If I transcribe  my cd collection to a digital drive in the BDP3 , like the Western Digital), how do I choose what tracks  I want to play . Is that what  Manic Moose does? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2021, 10:08 am »

HI

Yes MM allows you to manage your music collection. 

james

redbook

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2021, 03:22 pm »
Yes, the only thing really of concern would maybe be bus powered drives, some consume to much current for some BDP's to drive.
   Hello. So bus driven drives are those that get their power from the USB connection ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2021, 06:29 pm »
   Hello. So bus driven drives are those that get their power from the USB connection ?

Correct and its not that bus powered drives won't work, but I found that dvd and bluray drives often operated on the edge of what a BDP-2 can power and by choosing a model that has its own power supply you can bypass the issue altogether.

Chris

redbook

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2021, 08:11 pm »
Correct and its not that bus powered drives won't work, but I found that dvd and bluray drives often operated on the edge of what a BDP-2 can power and by choosing a model that has its own power supply you can bypass the issue altogether....Thanks, can you suggest a few of this type please.... :?

Chris

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2021, 02:31 pm »
   Yes , could anyone suggest  a few cd drives that will  do the job of the BOT please....? :scratch:

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2021, 04:40 pm »
So just use the external CD/DVD drive you probably already bought for your laptop?

I can't believe I've been sitting on a solution all this time.  Could it be this simple?

edit: I see that these drives are drawing too much current (1.6 A) but I tried my Dell and it does play a CD through the BDP-2!  It could be that playing a CD doesn't use as much current as burning a DVD for example.  I also tried a slightly heftier Asus drive (2 A) and it doesn't work at all.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2021, 05:00 pm »

Just to confirm the limit is 500 mA right?  There is a typo in the BDP-2 user manual. 

On p.4 it states
When connecting port powered USB hard disc drivesnote that each USB port is limited to 50mA.
(50 mA is way too low to be useful)

More likely correctly stated on p.5
Each USB port is limited to 500mA (½ amp) of current on the BDP-2 so we do not recommend USB drives requiring more current than 500ma’s be used if they are going to be powered by the internal USB ports in the BDP-2.

edit: Ripping a CD now on the Dell drive pictured above!  I am a little worried that it's overloading the USB port and could damage something on the BDP motherboard, but it's a good proof of concept.  After seeing how easy the process is, I can shop for a cheap wall-wart powered drive.

spinner

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2021, 10:58 pm »
  OK, so  who  or what  is a good wall wart drive.... ?  Sounds like this would be the answer  but the better one would be to have the  BOT put back into production.... :thumb:.. James Tanner, is there any hope that a BOT could special ordered even if at a higher price point ? Thanks.

rmurray

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2021, 11:13 pm »
 So  does the BDP3 have more power than the BDP2 maybe ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2021, 11:47 pm »
  OK, so  who  or what  is a good wall wart drive.... ?  Sounds like this would be the answer  but the better one would be to have the  BOT put back into production.... :thumb:.. James Tanner, is there any hope that a BOT could special ordered even if at a higher price point ? Thanks.

Currently I do not think so as there is too much more going on right now and it was never a good seller.

james