2nd 4B SST

tipatina

2nd 4B SST
« on: 25 Nov 2018, 05:29 pm »
I have a 4B SST that I purchased new/demo from a dealer in 2008. I was thinking of adding a second one to do monoblocks. It probably will not be close in serial number and year of manufacture may be different. Any issues with output level variance or other performance parameters that may be sufficiently different to create an audible problem? Has anyone had the experience of buying a 2nd amp later to use in a monoblock configuration?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: 2nd 4B SST
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2018, 12:09 am »
As long as your speakers are a SOLID 8 ohms.. Not 6 not 4...
You should be good.
When you turn the amp into a monoblock, you cannot use it with 4 ohm speakers anymore.
Just to mention. So many speakers are now 4 ohms...

servingko

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:53 pm »
I ran a pair of bridged 3B2s for a while with Middle T’s without issue, but honestly it didn’t really sound any better. I also tried passively bi-amping as well with slightly better results but still not what I was hoping for.  If I make the jump it will be to a 14 or a pair of 7’s as double the power is just 3db of headroom.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2018, 11:06 pm »
I also tried passively bi-amping as well with slightly better results but still not what I was hoping for.  If I make the jump it will be to a 14 or a pair of 7’s as double the power is just 3db of headroom.

Hi servingko,

I don't understand "passively bi-amping". you mean you didn't use an active crossover to horizontally bi-amp the Middle-T's ?

afaik, the Middle-T is a passive ( = is not an active ) loudspeaker.

agree with a pair of 7's, btw

thanks in advance,

Fernando.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2018, 11:27 pm »
Has anyone had the experience of buying a 2nd amp later to use in a monoblock configuration?

Long story. I bought a 4B SST2 when I already owned a 4B-ST. I didn't intend to bridge them, rather I may horizontally bi-amp my PMC MB2i pair. I'm thinking about driving the woofers with the 4B-ST, and the midranges-tweeters with the 4B-SST2 ... I wouldn't like to add an active crossover, just because I prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

I wouldn't buy another amp to use it bridged: what Elizabeth points regarding impedance is a drawback.

Fernando.

tipatina

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:08 am »
Thanks everyone. My speakers are 6/4 and so I guess this won't work. Can anyone tell me why going from stereo to mono on the 4BSST makes them require strict 8ohms in the speakers? Would this also be true for 7BSST's?