Montreal 2013 Son & Image - Bryston

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Montreal 2013 Son & Image - Bryston
« on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:40 am »

According to Bryston’s James Tanner, what started as an idea to produce a single loudspeaker, the original Model T, has taken on a life of its own for the brand.

The Model T is now available in three versions (two passive and one active), and the line has grown to include additional floorstanding, stand-mounted, center-channel, subwoofer, on-wall, and in-wall models. Two of Bryston’s newest speakers are the stand-mounted Mini T and the floorstanding Middle T, which retail for $2695 and $4695 per pair, respectively, in standard vinyl-veneer finishes. Real-wood finishes add $500 to the Mini T’s price and $800 to the Middle T’s. Both are true three-way designs that, according to James, have sonic signatures that are very close to the Model T.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Montreal 2013 Son & Image - Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:17 am »

Bryston, as you possibly know, now has a full line of loudspeakers, and we do mean full.

We heard a pair of large Model T Signatures, driven by Bryston 28B SST monoblocks. The source was of course Bryston's own digital streaming system, which always sounds good.

Bryston's James Tanner says the Model T speaker goes town to 27 Hz, and there was little reason to doubt his word.

spinner

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:49 pm »
Are  there specs on the Mid T yet?  :thumb:

Ron D

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:51 pm »
taken from page 55 of Bryston speaker thread - I think this is what you are looking for:

Bryston  Middle T
Frequency Response – 33 Hz – 22 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Impedance – 4 ohms
Sensitivity – 88 dB 1 watt 1 meter (anechoic)
Max SPL – 112 dB @ 1 meter (anechoic)
Rec. Power – 10 – 250 watts RMS
Tweeter – 1”
Mid – 5.25”
Woofer – 8” (x2)
Crossover – 160 Hz & 2.3 kHz
Dimensions mm - H-1000 x W-267 x D-410
Dimensions inches - H-39.5 x W-10.5 x D-16.5
Weight kg – 37 (each) lbs – 81(each)

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2013, 06:30 pm »
Congratulations to Brian Russell and Bryston!

Many congratulations on your receipt of the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Montreal Salon 2013. This award reflects the passion for quality that Bryston's leadership brings to the quest for audio excellence. Brian Russell leads and represents the Bryston family, and deserves a great deal of credit, but the fine team at Bryston needs to skate the cup a bit as well.

One of the things I admire greatly about Bryston, especially recently, is your innovation. Much like during the second Steve Jobs era at Apple (though with incomparably better manners), Bryston's leaders build products that excite your passions. The products don't need to encompass everyone's extensive wish list, to wit the SP3. Rather, your products represent a clear commitment to a philosophy that reveres and celebrates superb sound. For me, this is an expression of integrity. I trust that the Bryston family will continue to develop products that are something special instead of something for everyone. That's why Bryston isn't a big-box store brand . . . and why we wouldn't want it to be so.

I regard Bryston products as high-value. By this, I don't mean inexpensive, but pieces with quality components, efficient and effective design, and a great deal of cogent thought behind them. In my view, Bryston products are designed not only for long-term service but for long-term satisfaction. Being a Bryston owner feels like being a part of an extended family, a group with a passion for quality and service. Brian Russell, James, and the leadership team are responsible for creating this commitment, and the lifetime achievement award is reflective of the innovation and spirit that Bryston represents.

Congratulations, and best wishes.

RJ

Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2013, 08:26 pm »
James,
My hat is off to you and all the staff at Bryston in support of Brian Russell's lifetime achievement award.  Well done.

Mike  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:30 am »
Thanks folks - will pass on your best wishes - it was quite a surprise :thumb:

james

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
Great room guys! Very busy and everyone was having fun. Enjoyed the Model T sigs, very dynamic!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:41 am »
Model T Signature setup at Montreal 2013

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:52 am »
SOUNDSTAGE:

A couple of years ago I began thinking about what the loudspeaker of the future would be. Of all the things I imagined that could be put into a next-generation design, the items that topped my list were active technology (i.e., self-powered) and digital signal processing (DSP) for the crossover design. Active technology allows the designer to optimize the amplification for the drivers, and crossover design in the digital domain has the potential to allow for manipulations that traditional passive components do not (steep slopes while maintaining phase linearity, for example).

Slowly but surely speakers like these are coming to fruition in mainstream high-end. One example is the active version of Bryston’s new Model T (two passive versions of the T are also available), which sells for about $9500 per pair without amplification. (Three amplifiers per channel are needed, but since the amps aren’t built into the speakers, any brand can be used. Still, it’s pretty clear to me that if someone buys the speakers, they’ll likely buy Bryston’s amps, too).

Bryston’s DSP-based crossover for the Model T is the AX1, a separate component created at the same time as the Model T, and specifically for the T, but that can also be purchased separately for $2995, and, presumably, programmed to be used with another loudspeaker system. The AX1 utilizes a high-quality analog-to-digital (A/D) converter so that it and the Model T can be placed in any traditional system that has analog components up front (i.e., a preamplifier, or a CD player or DAC with onboard volume control). It converts the incoming signal to digital just after its inputs, and back to analog at its outputs, which is what feeds the amps. Pretty simple. But if going whole hog into a system like this seems a little bit too much, Bryston has also created a pretty painless upgrade path -- it’s possible to buy the passive version of the Model T with the external crossover, which is priced at $7495 per pair (the entry-level passive model is $6495 per pair and has a built-in crossover, so you can’t bypass it), and run it with a single stereo amp at the outset. Then, in time, ditch the external passive crossover and replace it with the AX1 and more amplifier channels.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:16 am »
Great room guys! Very busy and everyone was having fun. Enjoyed the Model T sigs, very dynamic!

Hi JRace

Thanks for the comments.  :thumb:   The great thing about these shows is it removes a lot of here-say from the subject - especially when it comes to speakers.  As my mantra says "THE DEMO IS EVERYTHING"  :thumb:

james

PS - also folks I am seeing a lot of young faces at this show - great to see!!!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:23 pm »
Posted: 23 Mar 2013 16:14

Montreal Show March 2013

My thumb-ups: :thumb:

The Bryston set-up was very good.

They presented a full range loudspeakers which was a killer in terms on price/performance.

If I recall the pair list price was 6500$.

Impressive.

Alph.

Boldlygo

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2013, 08:44 pm »
It was very nice to meet you too James. This is Eldon. I look forward to many, many years of enjoyment with my new SP3!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2013, 08:51 pm »
It was very nice to meet you too James. This is Eldon. I look forward to many, many years of enjoyment with my new SP3!

Yes nice to meet you as well Eldon - hope you enjoyed the show.

james

cbg59

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm »
I went to the Salon Son & Image Saturday. I went into the  Bryston room where the T model was playing. I saw James Tanner who was frantically changing music every 30 seconds. I thought he did not leave much chance for the listener to listen his speakers. So, I sat next to him. I asked him a piece of Stevie Ray Vaughan. The chance would have it, I had heard this song on another sound system with speakers very very expensive.
The T models are very surprising. For the price, this is undoubtedly a very strong competitor.
I confess that when I saw the pictures of the complex crossover, too many parts to my taste, the number of drivers, I did not have any trust. After listening, I found that they had the best quality / price ratio of the show. Honestly, I'm not paid to say that. :wink:

Moral of the story, trust your ears.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm »
I went to the Salon Son & Image Saturday. I went into the  Bryston room where the T model was playing. I saw James Tanner who was frantically changing music every 30 seconds. I thought he did not leave much chance for the listener to listen his speakers. So, I sat next to him. I asked him a piece of Stevie Ray Vaughan. The chance would have it, I had heard this song on another sound system with speakers very very expensive.
The T models are very surprising. For the price, this is undoubtedly a very strong competitor.
I confess that when I saw the pictures of the complex crossover, too many parts to my taste, the number of drivers, I did not have any trust. After listening, I found that they had the best quality / price ratio of the show. Honestly, I'm not paid to say that. :wink:

Thanks - THE DEMO IS EVERYTHING.  :thumb:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:01 am »

Hi

Very interested in your comment about changing the section - I guess 30 seconds is too quick for most??

James

cbg59

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:04 am »
I think.. :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:26 pm »