Solid state amp options

Hiphile

Solid state amp options
« on: 26 Nov 2018, 11:52 pm »
Interested in the Omega monito HO speakers, anyone using solid state amps with Omegas? The new SET 120 Van Alstine amp looks interesting also checking the Finale 168 integ. Feedback, comments highly appreciated
Tahnks!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Solid state amp options
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2018, 12:07 am »
Class A is my recommendation.  I have a First Watt J2 which is a great match with my SAMs.  There are a number of all Class A solid state out there.

.........Peter

ColSanderz

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2018, 07:06 pm »
I definitely recommend Finale. I haven't heard their 168, but I currently have the EL84TT from their sister company Triode Lab. It's wired in triode and sounds absolutely wonderful. I've heard really good things about the 168. Frank is awesome to deal with as well, a true gentleman like Louis.

I HAVE used solid state with my Omegas, but it's always been too bright for me. Class A is definitely where it's at and will be a wonderful match for any omega that I've heard.

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2018, 07:22 pm »
You might be interested in Folson's amp.
Lot here in AC about it.

Don

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2018, 07:49 pm »
  If you must use SS First Watt. Why ? They are made for that type speaker. If not Inspire, Audio Hungary, Decware and yes Jolida.

charles

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2018, 04:29 am »
I have almost exclusively used SS amps with my Omegas and almost exclusively Pass and First Watt. I really enjoy the balance of neutrality, tone, and naturalness that Nelson imparts in his designs. As many here know, I've tried most of the First Watt offerings (flavors?), as well as all the "low" power Pass amps since the XA30.5. I currently have an XA25, which I'm enjoying immensely and have an F3 on standby. I generally agree with the earlier statement that First Watt amps are made for single driver / high efficiency speakers, some moreso than others. I'll say that I find the single ended Pass / First Watt designs to sound better than the push-pull designs with Omegas. Note that the XA30.5 and XA30.8 run in single ended class A for their first watt or two...which is quite a bit of power for Omegas. Not only are Omegas highly efficient electrically, they're also mechanically easy (because the cones are so light and they're coupled to such strong motors).

Nidri17

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2018, 06:05 pm »
I'm using an old (circa 90's) pair of 10w single-ended transistor E1 monos from German company Valvet with my Super 3i's.
The combo works well enough, but if I could afford a First Watt instead, I'd go that way in a heartbeat.
That said, with SS I am missing a bit of the 'magic' I get with my custom-built 6w Tube SET (6L6-based).

mrvco

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how Schiit's new Aegir amp pairs w/ Omegas:

https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2019, 12:53 am »
I'll be interested to hear how Schiit's new Aegir amp pairs w/ Omegas:

https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir

+1

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2019, 01:07 am »
If it shares the ability of being able to "come on song" at fractions of a watt, in the same way class A amps (and class D in my experience) do so well, it should work a treat with Omegas. The price is certainly attractive given the pretenses. :D

mrvco

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2019, 01:52 am »
Definitely.  Has anyone tried a First Watt J2 w/ any of Louie's 'High Output' speakers yet?  I've been a bit tempted by a pair of HO Omegas, but wasn't sure how they would pair w/ the J2.  The Aegir could be a cost-effective pairing with the 4-6 ohm Omegas.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2019, 02:12 am »
Well, Nelson has said that the J2 was designed for single driver, high efficiency, speakers (generally 8ohm nominal) in mind. However, that's not to say it wouldn't work with others and Nelson suggests just giving things a try. I would be VERY surprised if the J2 would have any problems with the HO Omegas. Ohm rating is just one parameter in a more complex electromechanical system. You also have to account for your room size, listening distance, and your preferred listening levels. There are always caveats. :D

MarkR7

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2019, 03:04 am »
Agree with RDavidson. My HO monitors sounds simply amazing and supremely musical with my Pass Labs XA-25. So much in fact that I ended up selling my beloved 300b monoblocks in favor of the XA-25....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2019, 04:45 am »
I would suggest the Bryston B60 but expensive, so look a used.
The Rega Brio have a sweet sound too.

Cheese-burger

« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2019, 06:05 am »
Sugden A21SE would work well too. Pure Class A. Sweet and musical

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2019, 06:22 am »
Sugden A21SE would work well too. Pure Class A. Sweet and musical
Indeed this a great single ended integrated amp :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2019, 08:27 am »
A great bang for the bucks is the Burson Bang amp. Regular $600, now half price at Parts Conennexion. 40 watts will drive any of the Onega speakers. You can roll opamps, but I use the Classic opamp. Very sweet sounding with a very large soundstage. The amp is small like a Class D amp, but sounds better than any Class D amp I have ever heard.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/BURSON-84730.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 Apr 2019, 08:45 am »
Wow, what preamp do you use?
Its 29W in 8 ohms, perfect to FR drivers.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2019, 09:15 am »
I use the Hong Kong passive for $99. Great for full range speakers. Burson has several reasonably priced preamps that also rolls the opamps, but I have never heard those.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2019, 10:12 am »
Thanks, it would be interesting use a tube preamp or buffer with this Bang V6.