Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

FireGuy

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #620 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:42 am »
in the Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad... Atmospheric/Progressive.  Have a real affection for the album art.  Well done indeed.

From Bandmix.com:  INFLUENCES
Opeth, Katatonia, Type O Negative, Gojira, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Deftones, My Dying Bride, Depeche Mode, Dream Theatre, Riverside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2AhACpi3o

JoshK

« Reply #621 on: 12 Jun 2016, 12:20 am »
That is a really solid album!  Too bad they only have one album out.

FireGuy

« Reply #622 on: 12 Jun 2016, 12:48 am »
That is a really solid album!  Too bad they only have one album out.

Last night time was on the HIFIMAN's,  today with the Omega stand mounts with this album.  I can also hear influences from France's Alcest and Findland's Rapture.  Very solid effort for sure.  Hopefully their premier success translates into much more down the road.

Here's a nice review by Metal Archives (my fav metal review site) along with "Angry Metal Guy".

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/In_the_Silence/A_Fair_Dream_Gone_Mad/344203/

JoshK

« Reply #623 on: 13 Jun 2016, 01:56 pm »
Agree with you about metal Archives being one of the best metal sites.   They are very complete in their info and reviews.  The amateur reviewers also seem to take great care in their reviews on that site. 

I've mentioned them before in this thread, but in case you are not yet familiar with them, Leprous is a must check out band!  The lead singer is the brother-in-law of Ihsahn (both solo musician and former lead for Emperor).   They have some black metal roots but they take a more progressive bend with beautifully executed clean vocals (mostly, a couple songs have short bits of harsh vocals, even including guest appearances from Ihsahn).   If you haven't given The Congregation a listen, I highly recommend you do.

Metal-archive rates it 90% (3 reviews).

They have other albums that are stellar as well including the fan favorite Bilateral and also Coal.   Tall Poppy Syndrome was more or less a beginners' effort, enjoyable but no where near as good as those there after.

FireGuy

« Reply #624 on: 13 Jun 2016, 02:49 pm »
I will so check out Leprous this week.  I no longer allow growling vocals as final judgement  whether the band is worth my time.  There are stellar bands out there with non-clean vocals.  It has opened a total new world of metal for me.

JoshK

« Reply #625 on: 13 Jun 2016, 03:56 pm »
It is probably only in the last 4 or so years that I really opened up to harsh vocals.  Having done so, like you, opened me to a whole world of amazing musicianship and creativity in metal.  There are proponents of each camp and the for and against harsh/growly vocals, but I have to say it does start to fit with some styles really well, such as melodeath, which to me sounds weird with clean vocals (Soilwork, Scar Symmetry). 

FireGuy

« Reply #626 on: 17 Jun 2016, 12:15 am »
New Katatonia release.  The Fall of the Hearts.    If "Angry Metal Guy" likes it, gotta be good right?  I've always enjoyed this band since my discovery and I'm liking this work so far.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/katatonia-fall-hearts-review-2/

[

JoshK

« Reply #627 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:59 pm »
Gojira - Magma is released today.   Listening to it now.   If you pre-ordered (I did) you get a download as well. 

FireGuy

« Reply #628 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:29 pm »
Gojira - Magma is released today.   Listening to it now.   If you pre-ordered (I did) you get a download as well.

On this one tonight.

milford3

« Reply #629 on: 17 Jun 2016, 04:48 pm »
New Katatonia release.  The Fall of the Hearts.    If "Angry Metal Guy" likes it, gotta be good right?  I've always enjoyed this band since my discovery and I'm liking this work so far.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/katatonia-fall-hearts-review-2/

Good to hear Kat has a new release.  Looking forward for a listen.  Kat is a band that puts the listener into a third dimension

[

JoshK

« Reply #630 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:01 am »
I ordered the Katatonia one, hopefully I will get it soon enough. 

JoshK

« Reply #631 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:51 pm »
I managed to listen to the new Katatonia at work.  Its pretty good, but for me, The Great Cold Distance is by far and away my favorite of theirs followed by Night is the New Day.   I need to spend more time with them, but the doomy still isn't my favorite style, at least in the last couple years. 

So two bands that I have been listening to a lot in the last 4-5 days is Cattle Decapitation and The Dear Hunter.  CD is not a band I expected to like at all.   In fact I thought the whole grindcore sub-genre was a bunch of sh**.  I generally don't like core and I don't like anything that is all about how I'm way more brutal than you brah.   But I'll be damned if their last album isn't f'in phenomenal.   It took me a bit to give into liking it actually.   Its about a proggy as deathgrind can get, fun as hell and more of a environmental message (as if you could understand them) than a lot of death bands. . 

The Dear Hunter is full swap.  Not even a metal band (why is it mentioned here?!) but they are proggy and absolutely fantastics.  They aren't even heavy rock, they are kind poppy proggy indie rock of some sorts but they are fantastic.

FireGuy

« Reply #632 on: 25 Jun 2016, 11:36 am »
Agree with you about metal Archives being one of the best metal sites.   They are very complete in their info and reviews.  The amateur reviewers also seem to take great care in their reviews on that site. 

I've mentioned them before in this thread, but in case you are not yet familiar with them, Leprous is a must check out band!  The lead singer is the brother-in-law of Ihsahn (both solo musician and former lead for Emperor).   They have some black metal roots but they take a more progressive bend with beautifully executed clean vocals (mostly, a couple songs have short bits of harsh vocals, even including guest appearances from Ihsahn).   If you haven't given The Congregation a listen, I highly recommend you do.

Metal-archive rates it 90% (3 reviews).

Hey JoshK...

A collage of music blends and waves.  Song structures seem to be somewhat ad hoc but very very interesting once you devote yourself and lift all preconceptions.  Synth well placed which adds to the overall feel.  I would say of all new bands I've sampled the past year this one is taking the longest for the musical dust to settle   Would like to hear more riffs and hooks.  Progressiveness in metal?  These guys have it in spades.  Recommended with the caveat you give Leprous an open mind and space.

Their 2013's "Coal" is my fav so far.

JoshK

« Reply #633 on: 26 Jun 2016, 07:53 pm »
Glad you like it.  I think they have one of the best vocalists in prog metal, alongside the dude from Caligula's Horse. 

asliarun

« Reply #634 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:33 pm »
Have been listening to Gojira's Magma back to back. And can't get enough. Also interesting to see the band diverge from their characteristic polyphonic complex melodic industrial thrash to a more ethereal atmospheric direction. Lot more softer songs sounding quite nice and surreal. But still plenty of industrial thrash and awesome riffs, albeit simpler shorter songs. Like the direction Tool has taken over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQUybsj5vf8&list=PLtiMAzVCLC1BBxsABwOEt_oBKwQvlcQ8c

JoshK

« Reply #635 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:11 pm »
Yeah, they mentioned that they were not going to do extreme metal just to do extreme metal.  They wanted to do something they all wanted to do.   I like it.  There are a couple of slower spots for me but overall it is excellent.

Still waiting on my copy of the Be'lakor's Vessels which is being shipped from Oz.  I can't wait. The tracks that I've heard thus far are fantastic!

JoshK

« Reply #636 on: 1 Jul 2016, 12:53 am »
Gojira's Rock in Rio DVD that came with the preorder is superbly good.  From the videography to the performance to the sound, it really showcases them as one of the acts to follow. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #637 on: 3 Jul 2016, 03:13 am »
Bassoon : Bassoon

Stoner Metal Prog Rock

https://bassoon.bandcamp.com/

Folsom

« Reply #638 on: 3 Jul 2016, 03:14 am »
I've been listening to Eldamor some since it came in mail. But I have to say it's best not sitting in front of the speakers.

JoshK

« Reply #639 on: 6 Jul 2016, 10:01 pm »
I've been listening to Be'lakor's Vessels.  Its really really good as expected.  I am not disappointed.  It is a tiny bit more mellow, more melodic, more atmospheric.