Rythmic Plate Amp

mkane

Rythmic Plate Amp
« on: 7 Jan 2019, 08:09 pm »
  Could someone please explain to me where my connections go. Does my phono pre amp connect  to Line in? Are the wires on the underside for bass drivers connections & FR?

Danny Richie

Re: Rythmic Plate Amp
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2019, 08:14 pm »
  Could someone please explain to me where my connections go. Does my phono pre amp connect  to Line in? Are the wires on the underside for bass drivers connections & FR?

You can use either the line level input (RCA's) or high level input (speaker cables).

The wiring on the back side of the amp is for connecting to the woofer. If you need me to I can walk you through making the connections.

mkane

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:02 pm »
need help without a doubt. My system as it stands now is a power amp, phonp pre amp and passive volume control. Do I connect my phono pre amp to line in. Better yet you tell me where connecting go. Thres 2 sets of speaker connections on the underside of the A370PEQ.

fdjslkgh

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:48 pm »
You're going to need speakers and a speaker amplifier as well, unless your plan is to listen only to bass.

You'd connect the phono preamp to the passive volume control. Then connect the volume control to the Line In on the plate amp. The plate amp goes on the back of the subwoofer box, so the wires on the bottom connect to the subwoofer driver itself (it will have two prongs for + and -).

Connect the Line Out to your speaker amplifier, and run speaker cable from the speaker amplifier to each main speaker.

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:59 pm »
  We have all sorts of speaker amplifiers here as well as many different FR speakers along with H frames. There 2 sets of speaker connections on the bottom side. One set thick wires and the other not so thick and I appreciate the help.

fdjslkgh

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2019, 10:10 pm »
If you have a servo subwoofer driver, one set of wires (the thicker ones) are for the power to the speaker, and the other are for the servo circuit. There are two sets of speaker posts on the subwoofer to connect these to, Danny can tell you if they're labeled (I've never seen one in real life).

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2019, 10:19 pm »
Something else if I may. I have a servo amp for each H frame. I take it I hook up L RCA from volume control to one side and R RCA to the other. Can I use the servo amp on conventional speakers, leaving the servo connection unhooked?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2019, 10:36 pm »
First of all, don't use the high level out's on the plate amp. That isn't the type of filter that you want in the signal path to your main speakers.

You can use either left or right input and it won't matter. It's just an input. You can run both left and right inputs into that amp and it will sum the output.

The wiring on the back side of the amp is very simple. The thicker wires are for the driver coils and have to be run in parallel if wiring more than one woofer (gold coated binding posts). The thinner wires are for the sensing coils (Silver coated binding posts). If wiring more than one woofer then they must be wired in series.

Can I use the servo amp on conventional speakers, leaving the servo connection unhooked?

I don't think so.

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:00 pm »
 I think I have it straight. Volume control output plugs into line in on one plate amp. No splitter necessary to tie plate amps together.  That should be the only connection I need to change in my current system.  Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:24 pm »
Michael
Yeah, send he  left  outut to the left sub amp, the right to the right sub amp.
then, wire your h-frames    like this  ( yours are the ones  with one forward,  one backward  driver IIRC)
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884

there  is a  diagram and a   simple step by step   for you to ollow for the   actual  sub  wiring

If there are not  2 sets of outputs  on  your  volume control, you'll need to split the left and right outputs so that one right goes to your  right  sub amp, one right goes to  your  main amp then  one left goes to your  left sub amp and the other left goes to your main amp..   You could  also run  a filter on  each    l/r output  going to your  main amp to roll off the main speakers if you  like... cap value would have to be determined based on your main amps input impedence

jay

mkane

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:28 pm »
 :thumb: I do have 2 set of outputs BTW and this should make it stereo, not dual mono. On my Voxativs I'm running a .5mH inductor & 3.3ohm resistor.

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2019, 03:38 pm »
 Were doing it this morning.

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2019, 07:20 pm »
no sound what so ever :scratch:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2019, 07:57 pm »
no sound what so ever :scratch:

Which drivers are you using and how do you have them wired?

Mike

mkane

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2019, 08:30 pm »
 Top diagram, SW-12-16 They play fine using my amp. Can't get them to work with plate amp 370PEQ. I'm  connecting my volume control into line in

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2019, 11:51 pm »
Top diagram, SW-12-16 They play fine using my amp. Can't get them to work with plate amp 370PEQ. I'm  connecting my volume control into line in

That would be the correct way. Here's another picture that shows the same thing from a different perspective.

Double check your wiring and be sure it is correct. If you accidentally wire the driver coils in phase they will cancel each other out and there will be almost no output.

mkane

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:29 am »
Wiring checked, again. it's correct. I'm wondering if volume control to line in is OK?

mkane

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:35 am »
It's going on now.  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 9 Jan 2019, 02:39 am »
Those drivers need a little breaking in too.

mkane

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2019, 04:14 am »

Just temporary. It's helped classical