Ob subwoofer tower and swarm array: can it work?

AUDFILE74

Ob subwoofer tower and swarm array: can it work?
« on: 28 Dec 2018, 08:28 pm »
I was studying HAL'S 6 driver ob servo subtowers and Geddes  swarm array.
I had a crazy idea. Would it be possible to do a 4 tower (6drivers power tower )
Swarm array? I would be using a couple  of minidsp units for processing.

ebag4

Re: Ob subwoofer tower and swarm array: can it work?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2018, 08:42 pm »
I was studying HAL'S 6 driver ob servo subtowers and Geddes  swarm array.
I had a crazy idea. Would it be possible to do a 4 tower (6drivers power tower )
Swarm array? I would be using a couple  of minidsp units for processing.
Whoa...I hope you don't want to keep your walls and windows! :lol:  That would be something to hear in an appropriately sized room.

Best,
Ed

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2018, 09:35 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me!

:)

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm »
Sounds like a good plan all but the MiniDSP. No reason to add that to the signal path.

At the shows we have used OB towers of three servo subs per side on the front wall and used a pair of sealed box servo subs in the back corners of the room to even out room loading. We got the best results with the rear subs set to 25Hz and down. It worked great.

danvprod

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2018, 10:47 pm »
Agree with Danny -- no need to use the MiniDSP. The A370 amps have a nice PEQ on there as well as continuously adjustable phase (delay). There is a lot you can do with delay, XO frequency, the PEQ and amplitude. The whole point of Swarm'ing your subs is to reduce the spatial variance across the listening space while getting close to some target function for the mean response. If you are doing it right, you don't need a lot of extra EQ.

I have a pair of dual 12s on my Vs as my main speakers and plan on adding a sealed set of 12s directly behind my MLP. In my room I don't have as much room as I'd like from the back wall, so hopefully adding these subs will help "remove the back wall a little bit more" and help smooth out some of the issues I still have in the midbass region.

I can get pretty good results just with the two main subs though and large bass traps in every corner of my room. You can get pretty far with 4 12s, and the single PEQ on the A370 (which I use to knock down a peak ~ 40 Hz).

AUDFILE74

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2018, 12:48 am »
So a rear pair of subs in the rear will help

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2018, 01:45 am »
So a rear pair of subs in the rear will help

Yes they sure will.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2018, 03:06 am »
For two channel music, I've experimented with my HT sub which sits in the back corner of the room and it sounds awesome with the OB servo subs up front. My next upgrade will be a sealed servo sub with A370 amp in the rear. Due to my room configuration, I can only fit one sub, but it's certainly worth doing. 

AUDFILE74

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2019, 02:00 am »
Danny do you have a schematic for a dual driver sealed servo sub cabinet?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:13 pm »
Danny do you have a schematic for a dual driver sealed servo sub cabinet?

The original SW-12-08 woofers were designed to be paralleled on a single amp. Driver coils are wired in parallel and the sensing coils all wired in series.

Later dual designs used the SW-12-04 woofers and the Rythmik dual channel amps. So each amp channel powered one woofer.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:30 am »
But do you have drawings for a dual chamber dual woofer ccabinte for the servo subs? i know a cabinet guy and i would need to show him plans to get a price quote

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:26 pm »
But do you have drawings for a dual chamber dual woofer ccabinte for the servo subs? i know a cabinet guy and i would need to show him plans to get a price quote

I never drew any up for the dual design specifically. Most guys just take the single box design, slice off one joining wall, and put the two together. Then the top/bottom and front/back panels are common and double length.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2019, 03:11 am »
Okay. Thanks Danny.