Welcoming input on new DAC options!!

Audioclyde

Welcoming input on new DAC options!!
« on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:33 am »
This is my 1st post in the General Audio circle; moderator if this belongs somewhere else please accept my apologies and move accordingly.

OK, so I have a MW Transporter (full platinum mods) in my main system and love the sound.  Of course like many of us, I'm always willing to consider listening to an alternative....plus I'm justifying adding another DAC with the idea that I can maybe slip it into my second system (wife's bedroom system mainly) if I don't want to keep it in the main system.  Plus I'm not looking to spend mega bucks.

I preordered and have received one of the new Buffalo II DAC kits modules, along with the accompanying Placid pwr supply kit.  DIY is far beyond my capabilities, plus I really don't have the available time to attempt it.  And I love the sound of tubes, so that's a factor.

At this point the options that most appeal to me:

1--see if I can prevail on Gary Dodd to use my Buffalo DAC kit module and build a battery pwrd DAC, with a tubed output (Gary has previously indicated that a tube output was a possibility with the prior DAC he built using the prior Buffalo DAC module....and of course what total cost would be...

2--give the EE tubed DAC a try; I've followed the thread(s) here on AC about that DAC and it sounds like it could certainly be a contender (and I'm assuming I could sell my Buffalo DAC module and Placid Pwr supply at a loss and still recoup some funds that could be used to purchase the EE...and I can tube roll to my hearts content as some of the guys are already doing  :icon_lol:....

3--give the Tranquility DAC a try....sure getting lots of good review here from folks whose judgment I respect...downside is no tubes and how it handles 24/96 files.

As always, I welcome thoughts, insights and input!

Randy 

roscoeiii

Re: Welcoming input on new DAC options!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »
I assume you are following the DAC shootout thread, and maybe the HRT Streamer thread that was spun off from the shootout. At $149, I'm feeling how can I not give this one a try at some point! Not tube but many are also salivating over the just released Wyred 4 Sound DAC. And AVA Vision DAC is getting good review. Havana also seems to be very highly regarded. A little later in the summer Emotiva is also releasing their DAC, which has a discrete output stage at a price around $300.

You can also get a 30 day trial period on many of these, if you are OK with paying some restocking fees.

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2010, 01:12 am »
Depending on your patience, I recall reading that Dan Wright will eventually turn his attention to doing a DAC.  I assume it will have ModWright family values, ie. awesome tube implementation.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2010, 05:10 am »
I assume you are following the DAC shootout thread

Link?

roscoeiii

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:30 am »
I'm glad the Wyred for Sound DAC was mentioned; I realized I had forgotten to include it although its definitely on my 'watch' list....I'm anxious to hear feedback as it seems like it and the Tranquility are the 2 solid state contenders on my list at least, plus the 'DAC 2' version of it can handle high res.....

I've been following the other threads here on AC pretty closely.  I only wish Danny & the guys had been able to include the EE DAC in their shootout.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:41 am »
IMO and depending on your budget make the guy that's selling the Wavelength Cosecant V3 on here and don't look back.  They're awesome!!! 

Here is his ad http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79163.0

I owned one before going to the Crimson. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:44 am »
IMO and depending on your budget make the guy that's selling the Wavelength Cosecant V3 on here and don't look back.  They're awesome!!! 

I owned one before going to the Crimson.

Yep, in fact you & I have traded pm's in the past about the Wavelength's.  While I'd like to stay in the $1500 range, the Cosecant V3 in tempting.....'course I'm sure I'd then be lusting for the Crimson  :lol:!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2010, 11:48 am »
Yep, in fact you & I have traded pm's in the past about the Wavelength's.  While I'd like to stay in the $1500 range, the Cosecant V3 in tempting.....'course I'm sure I'd then be lusting for the Crimson  :lol:!!

Oh sorry.  I speak to so many in PM I can't keep 'em all straight.   :duh:

I understand the budget but if your going to go over this is the deal man.  When I sold mine to go to the Crimson, I sold it for much more then what he's asking.  I needed to dip my toes into the Cosecant before going to the Crimson and I'd still do it that way if I had to.  It was a great experience to not only go up in the line but to make sure that the sonic character is what I was looking for.   :drool:

If you were to pull the trigger, I don't think you'll regret it.   :nono: