Has anyone heard a Class D Audio "Mini Gan 5" amp?

newzooreview

Re: Has anyone heard a Class D Audio "Mini Gan 5" amp?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2023, 09:50 pm »
I posted here around November '22 comparing my monoblock Class D Audio Mini Gan 5s (with WBT binding posts) to my Pass Labs XA25. The Class D monoblocks sounded better in every respect.

I just swapped my Benchmark AHB2 amp into the system, and the differences are even more stark. I had earlier settled on the XA25 replacing the AHB2, but the difference still surprised me.

The AHB2 sounds smeared. The openness of the Mini Gan 5s is obviously reduced, and the background is grey instead of black. Upright bass sounds muffled. The palpable texture of plucked strings is gone. I also find myself turning down the volume on tracks with a lot of energy/presence in the upper midrange. I had gotten used to not having these tracks bother me with the Mini GaN 5s, but with the AHB2 they need to be quieted down.

The AHB2 is listenable, but knowing everything that I'm missing makes it disappointing.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2023, 11:12 pm »
Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.
This real is a useful information.  :thumb:
I will follow this topic.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2023, 03:53 pm »
 The Benchmark is extremely revealing of what is before it. As neutral as neutral gets. Not one reviewer mentioned smearing. Look elsewhere. 

charles