Rick's white gloss Supercharged SongTowers

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
Re: Rick's white gloss Supercharged SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:11 am »
Brilliant! This was exactly what my wife and I were looking for.

Rick, can you share how you were able to match up the color?

Jim used automotive paint which has very strict color tolerance between batches.  If it didn't, body shops wouldn't be able to repaint just your car's bumper after an accident.  I went to a local body shop and picked up a book of paint strips.  I spent the next few days comparing various paint colors to the cabinetry at different times of day and with different lights turned on.  After I settled on the best match, I emailed Jim the paint make and color code.  He ordered that exact paint and I got a perfect match.  It added a bit of time to the build since they were the only speakers using that paint and thus needed to have the spray booth to themselves.

kc8apf

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:15 am »
Sorry for the lack of photos.  I've been busy with work and my family.  Here are a few teaser photos from bringing them home.  If nothing else, they are proof that a set of SCSTs will just barely fit in a small stationwagon.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:58 am »
 :)
Elegant and most pleasing to the eye! Congratulations.  :thumb:

audio1246

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2013, 03:18 am »
They look awesome!

One question: Does changing the port to the front impact the frequency response in any way?

kc8apf

« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:23 am »
A few pictures in their new home:

The unfinished cabinets in the middle are next on my list to finish.  They will be painted with the same paint that was used on the SCSTs.

chargedmr2

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:32 am »
They look great!  That's a different looking setup you have there.  And the speakers even look good with the grills on. 

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:36 am »
wow they look amazing

neekomax

« Reply #27 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:34 am »
I have two pairs of white speakers. I love the Star Wars stormtrooper feel they have, and  I also think they tend to have a sleeker, lighter visual and spatial presence, especially suited to more modern decor. I own the only pair of white baffled Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s ever made  :D. Just curious, how much do these Songtowers finished that way cost (or is that a rude question)?

kc8apf

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2013, 03:53 am »
The only additional cost was the paint itself.  I don't remember the exact amount off-hand but ~$300 feels about right.  It'll depend on the exact paint you choose.