Headphone Amps.....which would be best for Grado SR80s

ToddSTS

So I bought a pair of SR80s to use with my Soloette guitar.  Then I plugged them into my portable CD player and was amazed by the sound.  I know it can sound even better.

So my question is which headphone amp would you recommend for these cans?  Currently I'm thinking about the RA-1 but would like other suggestions.

Also, can anyone recommend a good (and easy) DIY headphone amp kit that would be good for a complete newbie to help get me started down the road of DIY electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:01 pm »
A mint or PIMETA amp is very good price/performance.  Check out www.headsave.com

For portable amps that, IMO, sound just as good & run off batteries, check out www.fixup.net for the Supermini (120 hours of life on a single set of batteries).

Figo

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:26 pm »
CMOY amps are by far the easiest to build... sound good too.  however, a good vintage reciever will soujd better than any <200 amp...

dado5

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:55 am »
The Mapletree Audio (they are on this site) Ear + amps are great with Grado phones.  I own the SR 80  and the RS-2 and both sound fantastic with the Ear amp.  Better than the RA1 IMO. They are easy kits to put together as well.

Good luck,
Rob

ToddSTS

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:55 am »
Thanks guys.

That MINT amp on headsave would be great for a "what the heck is that?" conversation starter.

Todd

sleepkyng

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:53 am »
Pimeta for ~200 from Mister X is probably the best bet for you. My Pimeta powers my HD600s to plenty of volume and has no trouble with them

his Aol screen name is X86inside

pjchappy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:58 am »
I've been interested in getting into a home headphone setup. . .has anyone heard the Dodd Audio headphone amp?

Also, what are some recommended phones $200 and under?

p

Figo

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2004, 10:47 am »
HD600 can be had for ~180 used.

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2004, 02:53 pm »
Quote from: Figo
HD600 can be had for ~180 used.

You can get them for just over $200 new these days...

Another great $200 can is grad sr225. It is the most balanced sounding of current production grados. They are more forward sounding then the senn's.

Biggie.

Smeggy

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:34 pm »
I use one of the Griffin Powerwaves as my headphone amp and it does a great job of both driving all my can's as well as sounding very good indeed. The DIY aspect is to buy a volume pot for it, build a crossfeed circuit and wire up some RCA's to connect the volume between the CDP and PW.

Really nice   :mrgreen:

jasontkennedy

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2004, 10:26 pm »
I build Cmoy's locally, and use them with my sr60's. Sounds AWESOME! And very portable. I actually use it w/ my mp3 player on the go'

cmscott6

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2004, 01:53 am »
I built the headphone amp published by Pete Millett in AudioXpress November 2002.  It's a low voltage tube design built around a pair of 12AE6.  I actually prefer it to my tricked out Meta42 with crossfeed, op-amp based amp.  I use it with my Grado SR-80.