OK Headphone Gurus, any decent earbud headphones out there?

Andrikos

Ok guys,
My needs are simple:
I have an FM/AM/TV radio walkman that I listen to while working in my garage or back yard (or biking etc. etc.).
I like to wear earbuds because they stay in place AND I can put my ear protection "headphones" over them when working with noisy equipment (table saw, lawn mower etc. etc.).

The earbuds that came with the radio just don't cut it.
I'd like to buy something that would sound clear and pleasing.
Any suggestions? :)

shokunin

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 05:28 pm »
the etymotics er-4s/4p can offer both good sound AND ear protection at the same time.  I've had my set for nearly 8 years now and is still producing some wonderful tunes.  These are a godsend on an airplane as well as  offering nice isolation when doing other noisy things.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 05:32 pm »
I've not used earbuds for many years as I don't use any walkmans or discmans anymore, but I used to swear by sony's fonotopia.  I buy a pair every year or so... cuz they fall apart after about a year... but I did put them through the paces when I had them.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:26 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
the etymotics er-4s/4p can offer both good sound AND ear protection at the same time.

I was going to say the ER-4P would be perfect for your application, but it appears it's already been said by shokunin. With the foam tips on them, they reduce external noise by 41 dB! And they sound excellent as well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:03 pm »
Or you can get the "ultimate" in ear headphone, the Sensaphonics.  They have sound quality rivaling my VMPS RM40's, they are pretty incredible.  Check out http://www.sensaphonics.com/soft2x.html

Here's my review of them compared to the other leading in-ear headphones, the Etymotics 4S and the Shure E5:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77905

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:22 pm »
Sennheiser MX500....under $20.00.  Highly recommended even in headphone-oriented sites like head-fi.org

Andrikos

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:25 pm »
Wow, great suggestions guys. Thanks a bunch.

Tyson, the sensaphonics sound fascinating. They look expensive. How much are we talking about? The Ety's if I'm not mistaken are in the low $200's.

Soundboy,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61333&item=5721243979&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Is this a good price for the MX500's?

Thanks again for all your responses.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:32 pm »
Quote from: Andrikos
The Ety's if I'm not mistaken are in the low $200's.

Under $200 from http://www.discountheadphones.com/etymotic.html

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:54 pm »
Sensaphonics 2x-soft in-ear monitors are $750.  Plus a $50 fee for an audiologist to make a custom mold of your inner and outer ear.  These are custom ear speakers specifically made for your individual ear.  I love mine, way more comfortable than the Ety's or the Shures, and block out as much (if not more) external sound.

Welly Wu

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2004, 10:46 pm »
You can also get the "Ultimate": Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO.  Go to http://www.ultimateears.com and http://www.head-fi.org.  Go to the headphone review archive within Head-Fi and look for all of the Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO reviews.  I have written two myself under my real name Welly Wu.

superjohnny

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:40 pm »
Welly & Tyson how do you think the Sensaphonics, Ultimate Ears & Etys compare to eachother coming directly out of a FM/AM/TV radio walkman?  Isn't that kind of like suggesting someone buying a Formula 1 car because they need to go to the grocery store?

Andrikos there are two different types of phones being talked about in this thread:  Ear buds and canalphones.  Ear buds sound like what you have now.  They fit in the ear, but do not go into your ear canal.  Canalphones like the Sensaphonics, UE's and Ety's actually go into the ear canal.  Canalphones are both better sounding and better at isolating outside noise (but they don't cut out 41db, check out the Ety sitehere.  I have the Ety ER4's and while I love them for music, they are very sensative to good quality recordings.  They offer so much detail you really can differentiate between 128bit and 320bit mp3's.

I suggest, if you like canalphones, something like the Sony EX71's.  If you like the ear-buds the Sennheiser MX400's work well enough.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:42 pm »
I know they aren't as flashy as some of the more expensive brands mentioned but the Sony EX71' s sound excellent in my iPod.  I can't believe a $31 headphone can sound this good.  

If you are looking for a pair of lower cost buds, I highly recommend the Sony's.  You have very little to lose!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092YQW/qid=1096472489/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-4555584-1609601?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2004, 05:03 pm »
superjohnny
Unlike the Etymotics, which are very, very analytical), the Sensaphonics have that very rare ability to be very highly detailed, but also quite forgiving of poor quality recordings.  They sound GREAT being fed 256kbs MP3's from my Rio Karma.  Plus the Sensa's are more comfortable, easier to drive from a low powered device, and more discreet (visually) than the Ety's.  Of course, all of that does come at a bit of a price premium :-)

jackman,
The ipod is a good player, but I can guarantee you that you are not hearing what it is really capable of w/the EX71's.  Give a set of good canalphones a try and you'll see what I mean (you can thank me later :-) )

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2004, 06:17 pm »
Okay, Tyson, unfortunately you are usually right on these things :D !  I don't have $1,000 for headphones!  Too small and easy for me to misplace and lose.  I hope to hear some good ones soon.  Thanks!

Jack

8thnerve

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2004, 12:47 am »
I use the Shure e2 headphones along with my Grado RS-60s.  I like them a lot.  I've never been able to get used to the Etymonics fit.

And no, I don't sell them.

Welly Wu

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2004, 04:44 am »
Superjonny:

If you want to plug in a $1100 USD earphone into an AM/FM portable radio, then I suggest you invest your money in something else -- stocks, mutual funds, money market account, US treasury bonds, etc.

If you are going to plug in the same custom IEM into a quality source, then yes, it is worth it.

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2004, 07:35 am »
$13.50 is a pretty good price for the MX500.  I got mine for $16.50, tax included, in NYC.  Surprisingly good sound quality....not so good isolation though.

carvalhot

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2004, 01:56 pm »
The Shure E2's are decent, and somewhat comfortable after a short break-in period!

Andrikos

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2004, 08:53 pm »
Quote from: jackman
I know they aren't as flashy as some of the more expensive brands mentioned but the Sony EX71' s sound excellent in my iPod.  I can't believe a $31 headphone can sound this good.  

If you are looking for a pair of lower cost buds, I highly recommend the Sony's.  You have very little to lose!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092YQW/qid=1096472489/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-4555584-1609601?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

I want to thank everybody for their suggestions and especially Jackman for recommending these inexpensive earbuds that isolate very well (too well if you ask my wife... :D ) and sound very nice and punchy. Surprisingly good bass too! I'm listeing to DCD's Yulunga [Spirit Dance] from their album"Into the Labyrinth" and you'd swear you "feel" the bass percussion... VERY nice!
I'd never have considered Sony for earbuds (or headphones) so thanks again Jackman, you're the man! :)