AGD Alto Pre-Amp?

consttraveler

• I think I won!
AGD Alto Pre-Amp?
« on: 4 Apr 2024, 04:48 pm »
Good morning;

Does the group have members with listening experience with the AGD Alto Pre-Amp?  My Mark Levinson 380s is on its last legs and I'm looking for a replacement with no "House Sound" and clarity above all.  I've had exceptional experience with their Mono-Block Amps.

Best regards, Dave

RonN5

Re: AGD Alto Pre-Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2024, 05:38 pm »
Ok,,,,you are going to think I'm crazy but I'm going to suggest an alternative...no house sound....incredible clarity...great specs....absolutely dead quiet....mates perfectly with other great spec components....three outputs including fully balanced and rca....and super affordable....and low cost of return if it just doesn't fit the bill.

https://www.schiit.com/products/kara

morganc

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2024, 12:08 am »
I have not heard that PreAmp but a SS Pre that is very transparent and has a 30 day free trial period is the AVA Digital Pre. It works very well with Balanced SS and Class D amps. It sounded very similar and in some ways better the the Holo Serene Pre that I had.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2024, 07:16 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions!

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2024, 05:26 pm »
Ok,,,,you are going to think I'm crazy but I'm going to suggest an alternative...no house sound....incredible clarity...great specs....absolutely dead quiet....mates perfectly with other great spec components....three outputs including fully balanced and rca....and super affordable....and low cost of return if it just doesn't fit the bill.

https://www.schiit.com/products/kara

If you’ve noticed, how well does the Kara handle stage depth and separation?

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2024, 06:14 pm »
Good morning;

Does the group have members with listening experience with the AGD Alto Pre-Amp?  My Mark Levinson 380s is on its last legs and I'm looking for a replacement with no "House Sound" and clarity above all.  I've had exceptional experience with their Mono-Block Amps.

Best regards, Dave

I have a Hattor Big preamp with the New Class D opamp and it is very good. Hattor is made by Arek Kallas who makes the Khozmo attenuators. The Hattor produces detail, is airy and holographic and has a clarity and purity of sound sound that I have found to be very appealing. The remote controls all functions and he will basically customize it any way you'd like. And its quite a bit less that the AGD which has always interested me. My Hattor is the dual mono version and uses the Amtrans AMRG resistors.

http://www.hattor.com/dualmono_preamp_the_big.html

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2024, 04:18 pm »
NickB; I'll have to look into that one.  Thanks.