Spirit 75 Cable

dflee

Spirit 75 Cable
« on: 19 Sep 2020, 08:41 pm »
Triode Wire Labs Spirit 75 Cable:
This one has taken a while for a couple of reasons that I’ll get into as I go along.
I’ve been using the Kimber D60 for a number of years and with a number of different combinations of equipment and have always felt like it fit with all. The D60 is a very revealing cable and has always shown me differences in equipment. That being said I wasn’t sure about the Spirit when first plugged in. It did take some time to break in properly and I tried to not judge till I felt it had gone through its gyrations and finished breaking in. I listened to the Spirit for a month and then put the D60 back in to confirm my thoughts on both cables.
Listening with the Spirit took some rethinking in the fact that the music became more whole or fuller sounding. Instruments blended together (voice is an instrument also) making an overall sound of the piece of music but still keeping everything in its own space. Both cables have their good points but I find the Spirit easier to listen to. Over time I have noticed there is better attack and decay of instruments with the Spirit. Will say the D60 can produce a drum and trumpet sound incredible but with some sterility. With listening for so long to the D60, I had to decide which way I wanted to listen to music, with the clean sound of the D60 or the warmer sound of the Spirit. I won’t call the D60 sterile but compared to the Spirit it is more direct sounding. Spirit has a nice organic sound.
The Spirit is just a joy to listen to. It retains the micro within the macro of the sound but doesn’t make it forward in any way thus giving instruments like the guitar for example an intonation and not just a note or chord. It is a well built cable and looks pretty good. I’m happy that the Spirit has made an improvement of the system overall and feel like I made a good decision.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2020, 10:49 pm by dflee »

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: Spirit 75 Cable
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:48 pm »
Hello Don,
Thank you for your honest review! I think you nailed it! I designed the "Spirit 75" to extract the analogue energy from digital recordings, not to retrieve extra details (which I consider "unbalanced" sounding) and one of the unnatural potential pitfalls of digital recordings I call "digititus".

My design goal was to produce a natural, organic sounding cable, like real music (in a "live" unamplified setting)...

Cheers,
Pete

diyman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 06:38 pm »
Hello Don,
Thank you for your honest review! I think you nailed it! I designed the "Spirit 75" to extract the analogue energy from digital recordings, not to retrieve extra details (which I consider "unbalanced" sounding) and one of the unnatural potential pitfalls of digital recordings I call "digititus".

My design goal was to produce a natural, organic sounding cable, like real music (in a "live" unamplified setting)...

Cheers,
Pete

Can someone please define what an "organic" sound is.  I see that term and have absolutely no idea what it means.  Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 06:53 pm »
Can someone please define what an "organic" sound is.  I see that term and have absolutely no idea what it means.  Thanks.

You missed the second part of the quote:

"like real music (in a "live" unamplified setting)..."

vs. recorded music which is rarely confused with listening to musicians in person.

diyman

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:12 pm »
You missed the second part of the quote:

"like real music (in a "live" unamplified setting)..."

vs. recorded music which is rarely confused with listening to musicians in person.

Yeah, I did see that.  But assumed is was related to the other adjective describing the sound as being 'natural'.   That makes some sense to me.  'Organic' still doesn't.

dpatters

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:50 pm »
Real. Nothing artificial added.

diyman

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2020, 09:48 pm »
Real. Nothing artificial added.

OK. But isn't that exactly the same thing as 'natural'?  I still don't understand what the word 'organic' adds to the description if the sound is already described as 'natural'. 

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:00 pm »
Organic = Nothing added and the music signal not modified (to the best of my abilities). It rules out unnatural bright or sharp sound. Brighter, more detail, crisper, overly airy, and sharper sound is often called "clinical/analytical", which would be the opposite of "organic".

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Pete

diyman

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:16 pm »
Organic = Nothing added and the music signal not modified (to the best of my abilities). It rules out unnatural bright or sharp sound. Brighter, more detail, crisper, overly airy, and sharper sound is often called "clinical/analytical", which would be the opposite of "organic".

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Pete

Well, I'm afraid that it really doesn't help.  The question I've been posing is how is 'organic sound' any different from 'natural sound'?  It seems to me from everything I've read here that they are exactly the same thing.  If there is a difference can you please explain it.  Thanks.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2020, 01:24 am »
Well, I'm afraid that it really doesn't help.  The question I've been posing is how is 'organic sound' any different from 'natural sound'?  It seems to me from everything I've read here that they are exactly the same thing.  If there is a difference can you please explain it.  Thanks.

I'm not Pete, but as much as anyone can try to categorize subjective adjectives, I think you're on the right track that the two terms can be used to convey the same message.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:00 am »
diyman, please do not hijack threads. Thank you.

diyman

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:09 am »
I don't understand.  How is asking for clarification or definition of words hijacking a thread?  It seems to me that my question is perfectly appropriate.  If it is not, please explain why.

dpatters

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2020, 10:15 am »
It has absolutely nothing to do with the review of the cable.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:04 pm »
I too wonder what 'organic sound' with regards to an interconnect cable means. Should not a interconnect cable sound like a zero length cable?
That is with out added noise, interference & distortion, and flat frequency response.

maxima95

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:45 pm »
Please explain what a zero length cable sounds like.  Not what it doesn't have or sound like.

Now, the thread is meandering even further from a cable review and the response of the designer.

dflee

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:46 pm »
My reasoning for stating organic instead of natural is thus:
Analogy wise fruits and vegetables are natural but you can also get
organic. Just because it states natural doesn't mean that something
hasn't been added to it. Organic takes natural with no added anything.
My wife drinks Cranberry juice so I decided to get an expensive Organic
(nothing added) bottle. She nor I could drink it and that organic juice was
totally different than the natural juice while both being natural.
Diyman: think you should have asked it differently and to the writer (me)
as to my interpretations or why I used the word.
Hope this helps.

Don