used 2Wq

mgsboedmisodpc2

used 2Wq
« on: 27 Aug 2013, 05:36 pm »
Just purchase my first Vandersteen sub used.  It has not arrived yet but I am very interested in how UPS treats this 90lbs shipment.  If all arrives well next I will check to see if the item works hoping for an amp that does not hum and I will check the three eight inch woofers for rubber surround delamination.  Next I will connect to system without the X-2 crossovers.  Lastly I will order some crossovers observing the improvements.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
Re: used 2Wq
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:56 pm »
  Next I will connect to system without the X-2 crossovers. 

I would highly suggest you NOT do this, the 2Wq needs to see the high-pass filter to operate correctly.
It is also highly recommended that you do not power it up without your amps turned on.
I have a pair of these that I pair with the 3A Signature. Mr. Vandersteen and I were discussing their use one time, I must not have conveyed my wording correctly, but he thought I was using them without the high-pass filters and almost flipped out on me on the phone.
I think it has something to do with the high sensitivity of their input.
You could call and discuss with him your idea and see if he has any inputs.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2013, 11:12 pm by C17FXR »

Teyry

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm »
agreed, do not use without the crossover!!!

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2013, 05:11 pm »
Yes I now agree not to use the sub without a crossover.
I read the tech section of te vandersteen website and below are some interesting points discussed.
Also I have contacted a vandy dealer and they have not yet responded but it looks like I will have purchase the xover after the sub arrives.

"
Tony (9/06/10):  I just bought a used 2W sub. It only came with one crossover at 50K (one of the two is missing). I have a Audio Research D76a amp going into a pair of 2CE speakers. The listening room is a very small bedroom. I listened last night without crossovers and the 2W sounds was very good. I could have use a little more bass but it was good. What crossover do you recomend with my setup?

Answer: HELLO TONY,  YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD THE 2WQ MANUAL AND FOLLOW THE OPTIMIZATION SECTION AS THE 2WQ WORKS LIKE THE 2W.  RUNNING THE SUB WITHOUT HIGH-PASS IS A SURE WAY TO DO $240.00 WORTH OF DAMAGE TO THE 2W AMPLIFIER.  THE SYSTEM MUST HAVE A PROPERLY CONFIGURED HIGH-PASS FOR PROPER OPERATION.

Andy (8/08/10): Hi Richard, i would like to buy Vandersteen 2Wq and the external crossover for it. so can you please let me know what is the crossover model number which suitable for this Sub, do you have them in stock, and how much it is? can i use the Sub without the external crossover? Thank you,.

Answer: HELLO ANDY,  ALL SALES ARE THROUGH OUR DEALERS.  YOU NEED TO READ THE OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE YOU DO DAMAGE TO YOUR SUB.  IF YOU HAD READ THE MANUAL YOU WOULD KNOW YOU CAN NOT USE THE SUB WITHOUT  CROSSOVER UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY US FOR SOME REPAIRS.

Daryl (12/04/09): I've been trying to audition your 2wq sub for some time now but can't find anyplace closer than 5 hours away and I can't make the trip. I have heard the REL T's and is sounds very, very good for music. They seem to be similar in hook up principal but since I can't hear the Vandy, can you tell me how different it is from the REL T1 and what one could expect in comparison. I know that you use a passive high pass and REL does not...a point of confusion for me. I could really use some help.

Answer: HELLO DARYL, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE A HIGH-PASS AS IT LOWER-ES DISTORTION IN YOUR AMPLIFIER, IMPROVES IMAGING DRAMATICALLY, LOWERS DISTORTION IN YOUR SPEAKERS (BECAUSE IT REMOVES WOOFER PUMPING BY REMOVING THE FREQUENCIES THE SUB WOOFER IS REPRODUCING) AND ALLOWS YOU TO PLAY LOUDER BECAUSE THE BASS IS NOT WORKING THE MAIN SPEAKERS. A SUB THAT OPERATES IN PARALLEL WILL NEVER BLEND AS WELL BECAUSE THE CROSSOVER BETWEEN THE TWO IS NOT WELL DEFINED. FIVE HOURS IS A LONG DRIVE BUT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A LOT OF MONEY AND THE POTENTIAL OF NOT OPTIMIZING YOUR SOUND AS MUCH AS A GOOD PROPERLY INSTALLED 2WQ COULD DO.

Carlos (2/10/09): Matt over here in wine country. Hello Richard, I am enjoying my 3a sigs so much without the 2wq's hooked up right now I am wondering if I have a problem with the subs or M5's. The bass has more slam and the imaging is better without the subs. I have tried numerous settings on both the crossovers and the subs, which are in the corners. I don't find any testing procedure for the subs on the site, can you help me?

Answer: HELLO MATT,  TRY PLACING THE SUBS BEHIND AND SLIGHTLY OUTSIDE THE 3A SIGS.  FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS UNDER OPTIMIZATION IN THE MANUAL.  SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG BECAUSE THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE.  ANY PROBLEMS CALL ME 559-582-0324

_________
 Matt (8/29/08):  Hello Richard, I have two 2wq's in front with my 3a sig's. I would like to use a third 2wq with my vlr's on the rear channels for HT. Do I use the large speaker setting and no crossovers?

Answer: HELLO MATT,  NO!!!!!!!!!THAT WILL DESTROY YOUR 2WQ'S.  USE FULL RANGE BUT YOU MUST HAVE THE HIGH PASS INSTALLED AND PROPERLY ADJUSTED.

Sanjay (3/17/07):  I plan a purchase a pair of 2wq subs to augment the Meadowlark Shearwaters I use in my listening/HT setup. Music is my primary concern. My question is, why did you choose not to include a switch able line-level/speaker-level input like some other manufacturers? My past experience is that a properly integrated subwoofer for stereo, fed by speaker-level, sounds very lean for home theater sound. My Outlaw Audio 950 surr processor has the ability to set the subwoofer output level, and adjust the bass boost and cut-off for the front speakers.

Answer: HELLO SANJAY, THE 2WQ IS DESIGNED FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE AUDIO USE AND IS OPTIMIZED FOR THAT. WE DISCOVERED THAT IN ORDER FOR A SUB TO BLEND WITH THE MAIN SPEAKERS SEAMLESSLY THE HIGH PASS AMPLIFIERS CHARACTER HAD TO BE PASS ON AND THE MAIN SPEAKERS AND AMPLIFIER HAD TO BE HIGH PASSED. MOST PROCESSORS HAVE A BASS BOOST CIRCUIT FOR MORE ROBUST HT WORK. A SUB WITHOUT HIGH PASS CAN NEVER CROSSOVER CORRECTLY AND THE MAIN SPEAKERS WOOFERS WILL PUMP USELESSLY USING AMPLIFIER POWER AT FREQUENCIES WHERE THERE IS NO ACOUSTIC OUTPUT.

Dennis (12/31/06):  I'm considering the 2WQ subwoofer. I understand and appreciate the virtues of using two subwoofers, but my budget only allows me to buy one. I'm concerned about localization of the subwoofer using only one, especially with such a shallow filter slope. Is this an issue? Can the crossover be set low enough for this not to be a concern? Also, I have my 2CE Signatures bi-amplified. I know you've said that there aren't many advantages to bi-amping, but I'm already doing it and I'd rather bi-amp than have two idle channels. With this setup, where do I connect the 2WQ? I don't recall the 2CEs having separate high frequency and low frequency connections. Thank you,

Answer: HELLO DENNIS, I WOULD PLACE THE SUB IN ONE OF THE CORNERS FOR BEST RESPONSE IN THE ROOM. THE PROBLEM OF LOCALIZATION YOU MENTION IS ONLY TRUE WHEN USING MINI BOXES FOR MAIN SPEAKERS. WHEN ADDING A SUB PROPERLY (USING FULL RANGE MAIN SPEAKERS) THE MAIN SPEAKERS PROVIDE SIGNIFICANT LOCATION BECAUSE THE SLOPE IS GENTLE. IN THE DEEP BASS MOST RECORDINGS ARE MONO ANYWAY. I WOULD RECOMMEND STEREO SUBS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE NOT BECAUSE OF A LOCATION PROBLEM BUT FOR A MORE LINEAR RESPONSE IN YOUR ROOM. THE 2WQ HAS ITS LOW PASS SET AT 80HZ AND CAN NOT BE CHANGED NOR WOULD YOU WANT TO. WHEN BI-AMPING BOTH CHANNELS NEED TO BE HIGH PASSED TO PREVENT PHASE SHIFT IN THE MID-RANGE. HOOK UP THE 2WQ TO THE CHANEL THAT IS DRIVING THE BASS.
Luciano (10/31/06):  After reading how to use the 2Wq and the article from Audio Perfectionist Journal, I agree that this is the way to go but what if the main speaker is very small i.e. with a low frequency response of around 90 - 95 Hz ? in other words there is no way to change the 80 Hz of the crossover as per 2Wq specs and still getting optimum results ?

Answer: HELLO LUCIANO, 80HZ IS ABOUT THE LIMIT IN MY OPINION. MOVE THE X-OVER HIGHER AND THE BASS WILL GET DIRECTIONAL AND THE TWO WILL NEVER SOUND AS ONE (OUR GOAL). SUCH A SMALL SPEAKER CERTAINLY WILL BENEFIT FROM THE HIGH-PASS AND YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO TRY GOING WITHOUT IT, UNLESS YOU LIKE WATCHING A SMALL WOOFER BEAT IT SELF UP, AND LISTENING TO THE RESULTING DISTORTION.

David (6/10/06): Six weeks ago I had a pair of 2Wq Subwoofers installed in my listening room in my home. I was aware that a break in period was required, but even after the manual instructions, I was not impressed. I also had ordered a X-2 Fixed Crossover which I am waiting for. I just wanted to report that the sound is NOW awesome!! The deep bass is tight with absolutely no hangover (maybe not correct terminology). It just took a little longer to break them in than the manual indicated. Am told that when the crossover arrives the sound will be improved more. Can't wait. I can strongly recommend your subwoofers. I have owned other brands of subwoofers in the 80's and very early 90's and they were not close to yours in the quality of sound. I know you know all this, but thought you might like to hear again. David Glover The Woodlands, Texas

Answer: HELLO DAVID, ENJOY YOUR MUSIC AND PLEASE POST HERE WHAT YOU HEAR WHEN YOU INSTALL THE X-2'S. BE SURE TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO BREAK IN.

Stuart (3/22/06): This is just a suggestion from Stuart:  In setting up 2w or 2wq subwoofers, the user has to select the proper crossover capacitor to use between the pre-amp and power amp. If one knows the input impedance of the power amp, this can be calculated using c= 1/(2*PI*R*80) where R is the input resistance of the power amp and PI=3.14.  Unfortunately, the input resistance of the power amp is often not published, or even if published, the published value is often not accurate. The input resistance of the amp cannot be easily measured  (a multi-meter will not work). An an alternative to determining the right capacitor I suggest the following:  1. Wire the subwoofer and main speakers to separate speaker outputs on  the amplifier.  2. Download and burn a test tone cd containing an 80Hz test tone ( available from http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm ) 3. Play the cd alternating between the main speakers and subwoofer.  4. If the proper capacitor is chosen (with the sensitivity/db pot in  the back of the subwoofer properly set), the main speakers and subwoofer will each have the same loudness. You could use a dB meter to determine loudness, but the ear is really sufficiently accurate.

Answer: HELLO STUART, THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THE SET UP IS GETTING THE 3DB DOWN POINT OF THE CUSTOMERS (MAIN) AMPLIFIER. THIS SUGGESTION IS MORE ACCURATE. TAKE ANY DIGITAL VOLTMETER SET TO AC VOLTS. WITH THE MAIN AMPLIFIER PROPERLY HOOKED UP TO THE MAIN SPEAKERS, VOLT METER ACROSS THE BLACK AND RED OUTPUT TERMINALS. PLAY A TEST DISK WITH TEST TONE AT 1000HZ ADJUST THE PREAMP VOLUME FOR EXACTLY 1 VOLT. PLAY THE 80HZ TRACK AND THE VOLTAGE SHOULD BE .707 VOLTS. IF IT IS HIGHER THAN .707 ADJUST THE WX-2 TOO A HIGHER IMPEDANCE SETTING. IF THE VOLTAGE IS LESS THAN .707 ADJUST THE WX-2 TOO A LOWER IMPEDANCE SETTING. ACCURACY OF THE EXACT X-OVER FREQUENCY IS NOT AS CRITICAL WITH THE 2WQ AS WITH THE 5'S AND QUATRO'S WHICH NEED TO BE RIGHT ON.

"

Teyry

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2013, 09:50 am »
There may be an exception with the crossover/filters. I believe that Aesthetix Atlas amplifiers have filters built into them that work with Vandersteen speakers and 2wq subwoofers but i'm not 100% sure.

Best of luck with the 2wq's, I owned a pair in 2002/2003 and they integrated perfectly with my Dunlavy SC-IV speakers. I sold off most of my audio equipment in 2003 and have recently been slowly trying to put everything back together again. Hopefully 2014 will see me with a new pair of 2wq's matched up with my old Dunlavy's.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2013, 08:23 pm »
the 2wq arrived is plugged in hooked up without the filters which I will order shortly and I must say  with the level turned down to 82  with both channels of prima luna speaker outputs connected to the both  speaker inputs of the 2wqbass seems overwhelming with contour level set to the middle.  The sub currently sits in between the model 3s four feet from all walls.  I cannot see owning two of these for they are bigger than I thought

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2013, 08:55 pm »
I found one argument about not using the X-2 crossover that I would like to share with you guys.
Opinions please.

"04-26-06: Douglas_schroeder
THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING; DO WHAT YOU WANT AND DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Please read above disclaimer and don't ever suggest I didn't warn everyone! I take zero responsibility for what you do to your system.

But, I've removed the crossovers completely. I found that the sound is much better without them altogether. I've been told that I could wreck the subs, it's not right, etc.

So what. I've been running them this way for several months without any mishaps or problems. Zilch.

And the sound is better imho. So good that I'll run the risk of potential damage (I doubt very highly there will be any, partly because I do not listen at rediculous levels). Maybe if I run them this way for twenty years a driver will fail!

I found that using the X-2 crossover and extra set of cables, or putting the fixed crossover into the signal path of the mains (Chapman T-7's) diminished the sound quality overall. By cutting off frequencies from 80hz or so down to the mains, I was literally handicapping them. One of the Chapman's strengths is their incredible bass. Once I removed the crossovers and had both the Chapmans and the 2W's running full tilt I was stunned at how much better the low end became - not just the low end, the entire presentation!

I can certainly see where if one did not have capable enough mains, the crossover would be extremely valuable, even indispensible. But, with hefty, high quality mains there seems to be no issue with running full signal into them as well as the subs.
So, the crossovers are out and I couldn't be happier.

I can hear some saying, "You're adding distortion to the sound by running full signal into the subs..." So what. It sounds better than any time in the past I have ever put the crossovers in, whether X-2 or fixed.

I'm sure this will not be a solution for the majority. Anyone without mains having QUITE good bass authority wouldn't benefit all that much. I run the subs all the time, for audio and HT, and I'm loving the "crossoverless" sound.

And if you're afraid of wrecking something then don't do it.

Like I said, do your thing with your system and accept your consequences, but no crossover is where I'm at. If you think it's stupid, so be it. Keep using your crossover and be happy. Might I change my mind in the future at some point? Yeah, sure, I'm an audiophile! But for me to be keeping this setup for months without a thought of change is like an eternity for me and a good indicator I like it better. :)
"

C17FXR

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2013, 12:05 am »
Well that post is almost seven and a half years old, it might be a good idea to drop Douglas_Schroeder a reply to his post and see how his 2Wq's held up after all this time.

Then again he does emphatically state in more ways than one to try it at your own risk. That being said I ran my 3A Signature in a vertically bi-amped set up for several years with a pair of McCormack DNA 0.5's (the upper full range with the the lower portion getting the hi-pass signal) with great results. Mr. Vandersteen clearly warned against this for the longest time.

If your looking transparency through the hi-pass, might I suggest looking into either the M5-HP hi-pass filter (this is what I use) or having the hi-pass filter built into your amp. Not sure what amp you use or if your manufacturer would be willing to accomplish this for you.

I will convey this much it took me the longest time to get these setup correctly, so long that I almost sold them. Then one weekend started working with them trying everything I could to make them work. After about two days my ears were bleeding  :o or so I thought so after listening to so much low frequency noise. Anyway took a break for a few days and when I came back for a listen I could not believe how much of an improvement it had made. The soundstage just blew up, the bottom just dropped out of the stage, the walls seemed to expand outwards and backwards and everything just opened up. I have since tweaked them further into ideal locations. A couple ideas I found the worked really well, first make sure they a completely level, second add some more weight too them, if you happen the have a barbell set place some of the weights on them you'll hear them tighten up quite a bit.
This last one isn't cheap but works Stillpoints Ultra SS for the feet. You'll get low frequency so tight you can bounce a quarter off it, but don't try that at home only on a professional course with a professional quarter bouncer. Just kidding about the professional quarter bouncer but (I hope) you get my drift.

So see how Douglas_schroeder's 2Wq's did over time and decide how you would like to proceed. If your willing to pay for the expense of the repair proceed, but then again you don't have a warranty anyway. By the way these are built like a tank, I've done some pretty nasty stuff to mine and their still working.

I hope this is of some assistance to you, let us know what you decide and how things go.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2013, 01:54 pm »
finally a Vandy dealer responded to my email

"We don't keep X2s around because there are too many values.  They would take about a week or so to get in your value.  The price is $140.  The M5 is $895."

So the M5-HP is just too expensive for me.  I will call in the future for the X2

jaywills

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2013, 02:00 pm »
What value do you need?  IIRC, I've got two unused pair @ 50K and at 20K (left over from trying to decide which amp to use with my 2Wq).  If either would fit your situation, I'll sell you that pair for what I paid for them (~$70 bucks a pair).  Cordially,

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2013, 05:28 pm »
I am currently using two amps one very old and the other newer
Input Impedance
Onkyo M-501: 20KΩ
Prima Luna 5: 100KΩ
emotiva XPA-1L : 50kΩ

The Onkyo is used to get the model 2 to play loudly.  The newer one I use with the model 3.
I am looking to replace the Onkyo with a pair of emotiva XPA-1L one day.

I am looking to purchase the 100K  ohms first

Teyry

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2013, 11:47 pm »
I had Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks for a year along with their XPA-5. I had too many issues with mine. Strangely enough I never had an issue with the XPA-5, just the mono blocks. I purchased the XPA-5 first and it seemed decent enough as I was on a tight budget at the time and had previously sold off most of my gear. I had previously owned amps from Sony (TA-55ES/TA-M220) upgraded to Acurus (A150 x4 of them), upgraded to a Classe' CAV-75 and later added a Classe' CA-200. I purchased a Pass Labs X150 while I owned the Classe's and home auditioned a Bryston 4B-ST (around 2002). Sold almost everything after a change in hobbies and just picked up an Outlaw 1050 receiver. Later purchased Anthem MCA-20 & MCA 5 amps with the AVM20 processor only to have to get rid of everything again. About 4 years ago I went Emotiva with the old Outlaw receiver as a preamp, then onto ATI ATP8700 with their 3007 amp. As of now I am using the Outlaw receiver as a preamp again through a Parasound A21 and have a ModWright LS100 preamp on order expected later this month. Have to budget for a new surround processor.

As for the Emotiva's the XPA-5's seemed decent enough at the time so I placed an order for the XPA-1's and their ERC CD player. The first night watching a movie during the THX intro both monoblocks shut down. I have two dedicated 20 amp outlets so current shouldn't have been a problem. My crossovers were set to 60hz (lowest setting on the  Outlaw) to allow my Dunlavy SC-IV speakers along with the Emotiva XPA-1's to work through most of their range and allow the sub to handle just the low end below 60hz. I shut off the Emotiva's from their rear panel breaker and turned them on again. Changed the xovers to 80hz and had no problems. Listening at quiet levels while reading I would hear a constant pinging coming from the mono blocks, about every 15-20 seconds for one and every 40 or so seconds for the other one. I called Emotiva about it and returned the one that was doing it more often. They said there was noting wrong with the amp and it was just the normal expansion/contraction of the heat sinks. I asked them if they would replace it with a different amp. They did no and sent me a new amp. The one they sent me was like the other  amp with pinging about every 40 seconds or so. It just bothered the heck out of me listening a low levels. Over the next year they blew fuses on several occasions and not out loud volumes. They were very helpful on the phone and explained how to remove the bottom panel and change out the fuses. The circuits tripped on a few occasions. I have never had problems like this with any other amp I owned. My little 75w x 6 channel Classe CAV-75 never had a problem driving 5 speakers including a setup I had in 1997 with Infinity RS8Kappa's (4 ohms) and 4 ohm surround and center channels. The ERC CD player also stopped ejecting my CD's probably after using it to play about 20 cd's. It went on the curb.

Maybe other people have had better luck with Emotiva. I really wanted to like them and thought I was really getting a bargain. Strangely enough the XPA-5 always worked fine, even in the absence of the monoblocks with no pinging.

I would take any amp I ever owned back over the Emotiva's. I would definitely choose another Anthem MCA-20 or a Parasound A21 for about the same price range.

I have a balanced (I believe) 10k x-2 crossover that I used with my Anthem MCA-20 back around 1993. They made an excellent combination with the Dunlavy SC-IV speakers.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2013, 01:01 am »
Stupid question here............if someone scores a pair of Vandersteen 2W subs, can they simply bypass all of the Vandersteen electronics and run a more common xover or low-pass filter direct to an outboard amp into the 2Ws?  :scratch:

Teyry

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2013, 10:19 am »
I actually wondered the same thing about using a Bryston 10B-SUB crossover with the Vandersteeen 2WQ as the Bryston has a built in 1st order filter (along with 2nd and 3rd which I would not use). I'm just not sure about the impedance matching part of the Vandersteen design. Though even if it worked it may not worth the $$$$ of getting the Bryston crossover with the Vandersteens.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2013, 01:34 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of a Dahlquist DQ-LP1 with a Hafler amp, but other financial priorities popped up.............. :(

Teyry

« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2013, 09:46 pm »
I really dislike financial priorities

C17FXR

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm »
I actually wondered the same thing about using a Bryston 10B-SUB crossover with the Vandersteeen 2WQ as the Bryston has a built in 1st order filter (along with 2nd and 3rd which I would not use). I'm just not sure about the impedance matching part of the Vandersteen design. Though even if it worked it may not worth the $$$$ of getting the Bryston crossover with the Vandersteens.

Not sure about how the 2W's work I've never used them.
As far as the 2Wq's go they need to see the -6db's on their input side for them to work properly.
I've seen people make their own hi-pass filters and I've also seen it where people have them built into their amps.
The Bryston 10B-SUB crossover should be no different as long as you keep it set to the 1st order filter, it might even be a cleaner signal being its an active crossover.
Give it a shot and see how it sounds, you could even set it for a different frequency for the dropoff point and see how well they blend with your mains.
I know I preferred the 80hrz cutoff with the X2's when I was running the vertical bi-amp setup. But the 100hrz with the M5-HP sure cleaned up the midrange a lot.

Teyry

« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm »
Sold my 2wq's about 9 years ago. I hope to purchase another pair by the end of next year. Always missed not having them.

Not sure I would put out the expense for the Bryston x-over but I always wondered if it would work. I always wanted to try a lower x-over setting either at 70 or 60 hz to see how it would manage with the Dunlavy SC-IV's but

I had great result with Vandersteens x-over. I personally would not go with the 100hz filter in my setup but I think it might work very well for others. I wish I could find the frequency response chart that I plotted with them when I set them up. I know I still have it but if I remember correctly I ended up with an almost flat frequency response (+ or - 4 db) from 200hz down to 20hz with no room correction.

I would do a plot with multiple filter options and when I achieved the best response ( 10k x-2 filter with the Anthem MCA-20 that I used at that time) then I would do the same by varying the contour control from1-10 and retesting each time. The contour control set at "10" worked best in my room/setup.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:28 am »
I have the X2 50 ohms installed and am enjoying the improved results with the model 3.  Cannot wait to try with the model 2 and the onkyo amp.  Now to move the this piece of furniture from inbetween  front to closer to the right back out of sight

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2013, 12:30 am »
strange though when having the 2WQ removed from the system I missed the extra bass... which makes me wonder if I have the level still abit too high.  No head aches when no crossover was being used at all though and all the controls set to zero.