JIC some very smart reader has been looking for 5s or 5As...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
...here...

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/vandersteen-5-rosewood--2

...is a pair of 5s in rosewood for only $3495 including inline filters.  I'm NOT afiliated with the seller in any way.  They're in Omaha, Neb.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2012, 04:53 pm by jeffreybehr »

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: JIC some very smart reader has been looking for 5s or 5As...
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 07:02 pm »
nice but breaks my if I cannot lift it I shall not own it rule. :cry:

craig223

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 08:14 pm »
Saw those myself.   They were only rated 5/10 condition though.  Pity.  Have never understood how someone could abuse something so nice.

michaelhigh

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 09:32 pm »
Vandersteens are on my must to lust list, on my bucket list as well. On my probably never afford list as well...darn. :green:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2012, 06:28 am »
Vandersteens are on my must to lust list, on my bucket list as well. On my probably never afford list as well...darn. :green:

$3500 for 5-star speakers and you can't afford them?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2012, 06:30 am »
Saw those myself.   They were only rated 5/10 condition though.

The ad inidcated they were dealer demos that were a bit nicked and scratched.  One can do LOTS of veneer repair for the thou$ands saved.   :D

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 06:32 am »
nice but breaks my if I cannot lift it I shall not own it rule. :cry:

...ahem...sounds rather arbitrary to me.    :roll:

...but YOU do indeed get to make YOUR rules.    :)

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2012, 11:03 pm »
anyone ever tweek there back llifting a dense compact object?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 06:02 pm »
Anyone ever tweak their back lifting a dense compact object?

Yes, me, so I don't try to lift heavy objects--generally, a 40-pound bag of watersoftener salt is my limit, altho I've hauled about the musicroom each of my 65-pound McCormack poweramps dozens of times this year.  I definitely do NOT try to lift 200-pound speakersystems, but that doesn't mean I can't own, move, and enjoy them.

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2012, 06:09 pm »
My speakers weigh 410 lbs each, so I don't know what you guys are complaining about!  :)

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2012, 12:40 am »
SOLD to a local buddy, who will have a pair of excellent-sounding V-steen 5s delivered to his curb for less than $4K.

PeterE

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm »
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. I just picked up the used pair of Vandersteen 5s that Jeffrey B alerted me/us  about (on A-gon). I bought them because I like Jeffrey's V5s so much. They took 3 days to get from Nebraska to Arizona, and 2 additional days days to get to my house(delivery conveniently scheduled in advance by UPS freight). UPS driver got them to my front door.  So far I'm just unpacking them (seller did a good pack job) so I can't yet report on the sound. They look fantastic. The seller's rating of 5/10 was very conservative. To my eyes, any appearance deficiencies are very minor. Btw, the super-buffed rosewood veneer is georgeous--any scratches have yet to be detected by my eyes. They weight ~185 lbs each but I was able to get them into my house surprisingly easily with a hand truck(a one person job). I move them by sliding them along my carpet(this will work until I spike them down)--I keep reminding myself to push them at the base, not the head.  I'll post pictures and report further when I get them running.

PeterE

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2012, 03:25 am »
Hi all,
Pics of me unpacking my new (to me) Vandersteen 5s  have been uploaded to the Photobucket location below:

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u390/Petere3/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

Please check them out!  Its XMAS in July! Notice that they are nowhere as used or abused as the agon seller advertised. I did not take a chance on that:  after talking to the previous owner in person I was confident that he was being very conservative.
The wood work is georgeous.
I've got them up and running but I'm still adjusting and playing with amp/preamp combos including with inline filter vs cap in amp roll-off method. I got the balanced in-line filter with the speakers---does anyone have an unbalanced in-line filter they are not using and wish to part with?
BTW, they sound fantastic--detailed and very musical and non-fatiguing. I'm working to get the image right--my room is not easy.

Many thanks to Jeffrey B for turning me onto the sound of his 5As, alerting me to this opportunity to get 5s at a great price, and finally but not the least for advising me all along the way!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:40 pm »
Congrats, Peter.   :D

PeterE

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm »
After a non-scientific speaker placement and adustment of the balanced m5-hp filter setting using a voltmeter at speaker terminals(1 volt at 1k hz, ~0.7 volts at 100 hz) , my observations during recent listening sessions using Vandersteen 5's are: These are extraordinary speakers!  Clear and detailed mids and highs, low and powerful bass, incredible imaging(center and reasonablly deep but not too deep). The speakers simply disappear. All this and also non-fatiguing. I'm been re-listening & re-experiencing my favorite cds during sever hour sessions. I'm hearing lots of things I've never heard before on these disks. I'm enjoying this hobby again.
I picked up a pair of the unbalanced version of the m5-hp high pass filters,  so I can try out some single ended amps (possibly even a ~40 wpc SETs). Will report back later on all that experimentation.