Speaker cables for Quattros

jjc1

Speaker cables for Quattros
« on: 9 May 2012, 04:11 pm »
Hi everyone. I recently had my new Quattro Woods set up. My next step is upgrading the speaker cables. My dealer is suggesting Kimber 12TC biwiring.
  I have recently spoken with Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade about his speaker cables and he recommends single wiring with jumpers.Does anyone have a thought on this?  Any other suggestions for cables for the Quattros?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Speaker cables for Quattros
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 02:11 am »
I suggest one of the Audioquest Flat Rock cables, or, if you have more money to spend, one of the Double Counter-Spiral (DCS) cables.
http://www.audioquest.com/speaker-cables/
Rockerfeller and Gibraltar use high-quality copper, while Comet adds some hi-quality silver to the mix.  All the Flat Rock and DCS cable use the 72V. DBS system, were created to facilitate single biwiring, and can be ordered with the direct-silver-over-copper narrow spades to perfectly fit the V'steen #10 screws.

jebe1

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 01:06 pm »
Which speaker cables is Johnny R using with the Wood Quatros at Audio Connection? Will he loan you a pair to try out in your system?

Not sure how much you want to spend, but Acoustic Zen Satori is great stuff and it comes in a shotgun version for bi-wiring.

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2012, 02:33 pm »
Which speaker cables is Johnny R using with the Wood Quatros at Audio Connection? Will he loan you a pair to try out in your system?

Not sure how much you want to spend, but Acoustic Zen Satori is great stuff and it comes in a shotgun version for bi-wiring.

John is using Kimber 12TC and yes he will lend them to me on a weekend. Will then see what the improvement is if any. Right now I am using Kimber 8PR, internally biwired. I know I have to step up now that I have the Quattros.
  Thanks you and all who have responded to my question.

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2012, 03:25 pm »
I've listened to a lot of speaker cables and the best I've heard is Kaplan Cables. Gets the harmonics right (which few cables do) and is still very resolving and transparent. I just switched from Kimber 12TC to the Kaplans and the improvement was huge.

Paul Kaplan (posts here as Occam) also recommends using jumpers instead of bi-wiring.

kfr01

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2012, 04:06 pm »
I suggest one of the Audioquest Flat Rock cables, or, if you have more money to spend, one of the Double Counter-Spiral (DCS) cables.
http://www.audioquest.com/speaker-cables/
Rockerfeller and Gibraltar use high-quality copper, while Comet adds some hi-quality silver to the mix.  All the Flat Rock and DCS cable use the 72V. DBS system, were created to facilitate single biwiring, and can be ordered with the direct-silver-over-copper narrow spades to perfectly fit the V'steen #10 screws.

+1

My dealer set me up with Gibraltars having the narrow spades for my 5As.  I like them.