Schiit, it's the (now defunct) Bifrost DAC tour

tonyptony

Re: Schiit, it's the Bifrost DAC tour sign up sheet
« Reply #60 on: 28 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm »
Any update on when we think this is going to start?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #61 on: 29 Oct 2011, 12:26 am »
Yes, you did miss it:

Review time:  .............  There's nothing saying we can't adjust the order a bit to help a member out, I'm sure everyone agrees.

In anticipation of the tour going around, just want to note that I will be out of the country from Dec. 15 through Dec. 29.  So, should the order be rearranged, I can go before or after my absence period.  Thanks for your consideration, gang.  Anyhow, let's gauge it when the tour does start. :thumb:

Cheerwino

« Reply #62 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:04 am »
Cool. So the Schitt is about to hit the fans?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #63 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:03 pm »
Any update on when we think this is going to start?

Nothing yet.  I would expect delays to continue and for us to be last on the list behind filling orders for USB units.  Rather than speculate, I think the best barometer will be shortly after eclien receives his unit, as his has been ordered with the USB option and he's sure to holler loudly when he gets it.   :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #64 on: 1 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm »
Letitroll98,
I did get to hear the Bifrost for a few songs at RMAF via the Schiit Lyr headphone amp and Audez LCD-2 phones.   It sounded good with their music server laptop. 

Since I have heard it, go ahead and remove me from the tour list and let someone else have my place.

tonyptony

« Reply #65 on: 1 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm »
HAL, you're going to leave it at that?! What did you think?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #66 on: 1 Nov 2011, 11:45 pm »
It was a nice sounding DAC with the CANJAM headphone setup. 

I am happy with my DAC setup.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #67 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:08 pm »
Letitroll98,
I did get to hear the Bifrost for a few songs at RMAF via the Schiit Lyr headphone amp and Audez LCD-2 phones.   It sounded good with their music server laptop. 

Since I have heard it, go ahead and remove me from the tour list and let someone else have my place.

Done, replaced with etcarroll.

Tony, I think he's politely saying he wasn't impressed.  The "if you can't say something nice" mantra.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #68 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:31 pm »
I am hearing alot of great bang for the buck comments but no one is raving at how good they are so if its a solid product I'm fine with it when ever mine arrives. I'll let you guys know what I hear when mine comes in so the tour guys have a feeling for them.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #69 on: 3 Nov 2011, 04:22 am »
Looks like the shootout will be between the PeachTree DACiT with its Sabre chip and the BiFrost with its AKM4399 chip, both at $449 with usb.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 3 Nov 2011, 07:58 am »
The DACIT doesn't use the good Sabre Chip though if I'm not mistaken. That was the reason I didn't go with the DACIT.

It will be a lot of fun real soon here with these DAC's!!!!! :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #71 on: 3 Nov 2011, 11:03 am »
The DACIT doesn't use the good Sabre Chip though if I'm not mistaken. That was the reason I didn't go with the DACIT.

Does anyone have a Metrum?  It's NOS.  I'd be interested in knowing the comparison between Sabre and NOS.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #72 on: 3 Nov 2011, 02:51 pm »

It's not the most expensive Sabre chip, but perhaps it's the best Sabre chip for that application.  Also note that for those with a need for usb, the BiFrost appears to have a much improved usb board vs the DACiT.  I think a shoot out discussion is best for the other Schiit thread, I'll post something there.

mcoaggie

« Reply #73 on: 3 Nov 2011, 03:05 pm »
Good to hear this shoot out is coming!  I've been very near buying one of the peachtree products but nothing to compare against.  When I get the tour Bifrost I intend to take it to a local dealer and compare it against the DAC*IT and nova.  I'm pretty green to all of this so not sure my opinions are going to rate as any sort of review.  I can post my impressions whenever it happens.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 3 Nov 2011, 03:33 pm »
mcoaggie-on the contrary fresh ears and whatever your thoughts are is always a good thing. Go for it, just don't let that local dealer say "hear that, thats bad, hear that thats good" and believe him, trust your ears!!!! We do... :thumb:

kriton

• Lurkus Professionalis
« Reply #75 on: 6 Nov 2011, 02:58 pm »
Ya'll -

I have been scouring the Internet to see when someone is going to do a comprehensive review of the Bifrost DAC; I know they are shipping as I received mine last Friday!  I pre-ordered the DAC with the USB card, as it is the only implementation from my Dell music server that I have, and I have spent the weekend burning it in and listening to my modest but well ripped .flac collection of jazz and classical selections.  I Really want to hear what some seasoned D/A people think of this little box - I can hear some difference, but I don't know if it is just may rationalization for the purchase, albeit relatively inexpensive - it is still another bell that I have to slip by SWMBO...

I started to write my impressions here, but thought better of it until someone breaks the ice who knows more than I do...  Any way, someone weigh in here please?  What do you think the proper burn in time will need to be on this thing, any?  I have had it on and doing its thing for probably 30 hours so far this weekend...

K

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #76 on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:09 am »
No one need be shy about posting impressions.  You can start a thread of your own about it, I had promised the first review their own stickied thread and the offer still stands, so type away.

As far as this thread goes I'll just paste the latest email from Jason at Schiit:

"It looks like we're going to have to delay shipping review Bifrosts until the next run--we're sold out of the first run, beyond slammed with orders, and we haven't even been able to ship any distributor units yet. I'd expect we can start shipping from the next run, which begins hitting at the end of the month."

So those itching to hear this DAC now should just order one.  The tour stays hopefully active.

2wo

« Reply #77 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:53 am »
So, they are sending them off to paying customers. Rather than us? The nerve of those people :lol:...John

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #78 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:05 am »
So, they are sending them off to paying customers. Rather than us? The nerve of those people :lol:...John

Of course, that's what the Schiit makers are telling us  :green: :evil:

IMHO, if I were running the company, knowing that I'm a small one, say compared to Cambridge..... I'd push the products as much as I can.  One approach is granting a tour on A/C (ASAP :icon_lol:).  What's better than advertising this way (assuming it's a worthy product).  This way, it'll get at least lots of write-ups.  Chances are that I'd sell more units because most of these individuals are likely the people more in the know, if not just fanatics.  It's even more effective than  :roll: if I were to place it in the showroom at say Macy's on 34th St., New York..... :lol:  The average Joe wouldn't know what Schiit he's looking at.  All he cares is to walk around, show off his MP3 player (these days, which is why hi-fi is a tougher business to make it now,again IMHO). :bawl:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #79 on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:50 pm »
A couple thing about small business.  The first and foremost driver is cash flow, they've likely reached a saturation point in the market with their headphone amps, spent a lot on development, and the fastest generator of cash is full price sales direct.  Dealers are paying wholesale and getting at least 30 day terms.  Pro bono review units will generate sales in the future for sure, no question, but zero money now.  When you're trying to make a payroll this week you get pretty darn short sited.  I'd make exactly the same decisions.