Power Transformer Connections for 240v, for Cornet 2?

andyr

I'm just finishing off a Cornet 2 build and would appreciate some advice re. transformer primary connections.

Can someone confirm that, for the specified Hammond T370BX transformer, for 240v (according to the table on the "Constructor: Powersupply" diagram):
* Blue is connected to one of the pair of tags on the PCB marked 'L'.
* the other 'L' tag has no connection.
* White is connected to one of the pair of tags on the PCB marked 'N'.
* the other 'N' tag has no connection.
* Brown & Black should be connected to the tags marked 'S'.
* the tags marked 'O' are not connected to anything - these are for 'parking' the 4 remaining wires (the striped wires, for 240v), which are marked as 'NC' in the 240v column in the table.

Thanks and regards,

Andy

poty

Re: Power Transformer Connections for 240v, for Cornet 2?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2014, 08:35 am »
Seems OK for me.

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2014, 09:08 am »
Seems OK for me.

Thanks, poty.

Now, just something which you - and others - may wish to try ...

I haven't listened to it yet but I did connect up the mains and switch it on - without letting the magic smoke out!  :lol:

When I connect up a mains trannie, I always make sure the primary is oriented the right way round*.  Jim's instructions (at least, for a 240v mains supply) to connect the 'Blu' wire to the Active tag on the PCB and the 'Wht' wire to the Neutral tag ... do not, in fact, deliver the 'correct way' - you need to reverse these.

* Google the BoundforSound article (repeated on other websites) about correct mains orientation of transformers - AIUI, it comes about as a result of parasitic capacitance of the transformer's primary (whatever the hell that is! :? ).  Using Jim's orientation, I measured around AC 140v between mains earth and the chassis; reversed, the DVM read < AC 2v. (NB: I am assuming all 370BX trannies are manufactured identically - which I suggest is a reasonable assumption.)

The BoundforSound article - and BTW, Clark Johnsen (the guru of absolute polarity) - claim that the lower voltage reading between chassis and mains earth delivers the better sound.

NB: the mains cord needs to have a 'cheater plug' on its end, so the IEC earth tag on the component - and the chassis - is 'floating'.  You get the 'mains earth' reference by sticking one of the DVM's probes into the earth hole in a wall socket.

Regards,

Andy

poty

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2014, 06:22 pm »
* Google the BoundforSound article (repeated on other websites) about correct mains orientation of transformers
Well, the article are full of ... let's say ... strained interpretation. But why not... If you like it - you use it.