Clarinet Weaker In One Channel

david62

Re: Clarinet Weaker In One Channel
« Reply #40 on: 3 Apr 2014, 11:17 pm »
Jim told me that the board may have been made to have the mirrored balance set up.

hagtech

« Reply #41 on: 5 Apr 2014, 06:31 pm »
I remember I may have gotten the colors for the left and right channels backwards.  It's really a two-channel amplifier.  Doesn't matter which is called left and which is called right.  Just swap cables so that the balance control works the way you want it to. 

jh

david62

« Reply #42 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:59 pm »
I should have the 3 ohm resistor changed out to 2.7 ohms soon since I am still waiting for the resistor.The heater supply is now about 5.7 volts with the 3 ohm resistor.Once that is sorted,I will power it up and test it...

david62

« Reply #43 on: 9 Apr 2014, 03:19 pm »
With the 2.7 ohm resistor,the heater voltage is now 6.2 volts.I re-heated some joints while I was in there.I expect to put it back together tonight or tomorrow night depending on my work schedule.

david62

« Reply #44 on: 10 Apr 2014, 02:21 pm »
The balance issue is about the same,or perhaps slightly improved.The balance control is set about 10:00 o'clock to have both channels equal.I reversed the polarity of the Mundorf Silver In Oil caps in the weaker rt.channel.It seems that the right channel is richer,more like the left channel now which was what I had been noticing from day one.The 12au7's glow a bit brighter with 6.2v heater voltage.Is it possible that when my heater voltage was 5.7v the Clarinet could sound "warmer"?The highs were a bit more shrill on testing last night.I was able to improve it by lowering the tonearm VTA.I also wonder if changing the polarity of the right channel caps has to have them ripen to that new polarity.I plan to do more listening over this weekend.
Dave

poty

« Reply #45 on: 11 Apr 2014, 07:43 pm »
The balance issue is about the same,or perhaps slightly improved.The balance control is set about 10:00 o'clock to have both channels equal.
It is not the source of the problem as I already wrote.

david62

« Reply #46 on: 11 Apr 2014, 09:06 pm »
 After listening to a few LPs this afternoon,The Clarinet sounds very nice to me.The balance issue is about the same.I am going to live with it for now since it is no big deal.I'm glad that I checked everything and brought the heater voltage up to 6.2v.Thanks much for all of your help!
Dave