UFO on Kickstarter

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: UFO on Kickstarter
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:09 pm »
Just to get this going again, cause I noticed you put your UFO video on your website...

I would prefer the $400 aluminum version personally and I encourage you to contact Matt of Aluminati if you guys can work things out without encroaching your IP and hard work on this project. DIY for the electronics and putting the enclosure together would be no problem for me and I imagine for others.

I just don't know how many you would sell at $400 or if Matt could make them less expensively.

Anyway...just my thoughts...I always wanted something to check the speed of my turntable that wasn't a KAB unit...

Best,
Anand.

BobRex

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:20 pm »
Anand,

If you are willing to drop 400 bucks on a strobe, why not buy the Sutherland timeline and get it over with?

galyons

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2013, 09:39 pm »
... why not buy the Sutherland timeline and get it over with?

IMO, poor form to recommend a competitor's product in a manufacturer's forum.  Of course, as in all things, YMMV.

Cheers,
Geary

galyons

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2013, 09:45 pm »
Ok, so which is preferable?  I'm looking into low cost molds for the plastic, and also CNC machining for metal and wood.  Which would you folks prefer?

I think I can do the all aluminum one for $400 retail price.

jh

Koa would be nice and local to you.  Myrtle has good dampening properties and nice looking as well.

Cheers,
Geary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:02 pm »
For $400 I'll pass.  I can make an aluminum enclosure too so I'm not going to pay that for one.  Thanks anyway though. 

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm »
I liked the initial offering, it was a fun item that anybody can afford. Don't give up Jim!  :thumb:

hagtech

« Reply #26 on: 1 Oct 2013, 06:22 am »
I'm going to do a small production run of aluminum UFOs.  Thinking of pricing them at $400 to test the market.  My only option was to get the parts made in China.  Stay tuned...

jh

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:46 am »
Thanks anyway.

WireNut

« Reply #28 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »

For $400 I'll pass.

I cant do that either. $150 is about max for me. Even if my TT speed was off there's nothing I can do about it that I'm aware of. The speed is locked/non adjustable.

hagtech

« Reply #29 on: 2 Oct 2013, 05:21 am »
That's exactly why I tried to make the $100 version!  I thought it would sell - but the response at the time from Kickstarter was an overwhelming NO THANK YOU.  This is the best I can do now - buying metal for $150 a pop (my cost) - then adding circuit board and electronics, assembly, etc...

jh

ecir38

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2013, 06:54 pm »
Jim, have you ever looked at

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Design your product on there software and it spits out cost and shipping quote. Larger quantities lowers the price.

Haven't used this feature but you can even import a file if you already have it drawn up. 

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/Importing/page449.html

hagtech

« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2013, 07:29 am »
emachineshop did the original UFO years ago. 

jh

hagtech

« Reply #32 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:34 am »
I am now taking orders for the new "metal' UFO.  The kickstarter design was converted to machined aluminum.  It's quite a bit more upscale.  Looks very nice!

http://www.haglabs.com/ufo3.html

I have production enclosures in the shop, just need to order more circuit boards, which should take about 2 weeks.

jh

hagtech

« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:36 am »