Are newer tubes hard to find?

Geworthomd

Are newer tubes hard to find?
« on: 28 May 2022, 05:22 pm »
Hi gentlemen,
I found a Mark Levinson designed hybrid, circa 2000 amplifier for sale. Mr. Levinson himself said that the newer gear with tubes is difficult. The tubes can be proprietary and not available. The company can go out of business. Russia makes many of our tubes and there is a war going on. He said he would never again make a tube amplifier only for that reason. Well, this being a tube forum, what do you think?  I see the older classical amplifiers have aftermarket tubes available. For the newer stuff?  BTW,

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Are newer tubes hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2022, 05:46 pm »
What you can find is going up in price.
We'll see what happens down the road.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2022, 05:58 pm »
Russian tubes have always sucked, IMO.  I only keep them around as sacrificial lambs for when I buy a new amp or for after I make some mods.  They are worth having around to die a fiery death and save my other tubes, which actually sound good. 

Psvane makes excellent tubes that sound way better than the Russian (and eastern European) tubes.  Way back in the day they were not particularly reliable but that has changed - I've not had a Psvane fail on my in the last 7 years.  And bonus, there's no shortage. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2022, 06:14 pm »
The tubes can be proprietary and not available.
What mystery tube is that ?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2022, 10:34 pm »
Die a fiery death like pop top tank?

Winged C's 6550s were good, I have some E-H 6CA7s in my small VTL amp, they sound good.
You can usually get domestic signal tubes but my Conrad-Johnson CT-5 takes a 6H30Pi so Sovtek it was.

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2022, 12:46 pm »
There are plenty of tubes on the market and plenty of tube vendors that are willing to help you spend your money.  I have seen a few that are limiting their Russian products to 8 - 10 tubes per purchase.

You can get nice NOS for close to the same price as new.

Power tubes seem to be restricted as well for Russia and Slovakia.  IMO, these do not influence the sound as a gain stage for example.

I’m sure if you share the variant that you are looking for, we can help.

Good luck and have fun!