I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #460 on: 23 Nov 2019, 02:27 am »
So an impact-proof exoskeleton?  What happened to Volvo-style crush zones?   :scratch: :duh:

rs444

« Reply #461 on: 4 Dec 2019, 02:50 am »
Once the Cybertrucks hit the road people will want them more. Especially the painted versions.

Its polarizing, but it might just be the furture

G E

« Reply #462 on: 23 Dec 2019, 05:05 pm »
My brother in law put in an order for the Tesla pick up last week.

He also plans to get the Roadster. Not sure which version.

He has the AWD performance 3 now and it’s impressive.

Will report back when they arrive.

avahifi

« Reply #463 on: 23 Dec 2019, 08:32 pm »
I did a 120 mile trip this past weekend, sixty miles out and back, temperature in the low 20s, mostly freeway at 75 MPH, and heater set at 72 degrees all the way.

Left home with 80 percent charge, plugged back in at home when I returned with a 30 percent charge.  A bit of calculation says cold weather and heater always on at highway speed cut range by about 25%.  Kinda what I expected.

Frank

G E

« Reply #464 on: 23 Dec 2019, 08:58 pm »
The Tesla roadster has a claimed range of 625 miles.

That’s a game changing range.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #465 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:01 pm »

I'm looking forward to the game continuing to change.

Imagine fundamental improvements in battery perfomance increasing that range further and/or decreasing battery weight and size, not to mention charge time. Or supercapacitors. Or fuel cells.

John B. Goodenough has made some exciting refinements to the lithium ion cell he was instrumental in designing way back (along with RAM!):
https://www.chemistryworld.com/features/goodenough-rules/8099.article

Wind Chaser

« Reply #466 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:11 pm »
I did a 120 mile trip this past weekend, sixty miles out and back, temperature in the low 20s, mostly freeway at 75 MPH, and heater set at 72 degrees all the way.

Left home with 80 percent charge, plugged back in at home when I returned with a 30 percent charge.  A bit of calculation says cold weather and heater always on at highway speed cut range by about 25%.  Kinda what I expected.

That is remarkable. If I didn't have big destructive dirty dog that goes everywhere with me, the T3 would be very tempting.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #467 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:14 pm »

It is. Hopefully they start implenting it in other models as an option.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #468 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:20 pm »
I'm looking forward to the game continuing to change.

Imagine fundamental improvements in battery perfomance increasing that range further and/or decreasing battery weight and size, not to mention charge time. Or supercapacitors. Or fuel cells.

Tesla is on the game changing path while virtually everyone else stands irresponsibly off on the sidelines.

In any case the T-X has proven that battery weight is a very good thing.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #469 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:35 pm »
Tesla is on the game changing path while virtually everyone else stands irresponsibly off on the sidelines.

Really?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #470 on: 24 Dec 2019, 03:28 am »
That’s how I see it. Who else is really pushing hard in this direction and what exactly have they contributed?

kingdeezie

« Reply #471 on: 24 Dec 2019, 04:29 pm »
That’s how I see it. Who else is really pushing hard in this direction and what exactly have they contributed?

Um, everyone? Audi/Porsche/VW, Ford, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai.... All of these manufactures are actively selling, or developing, EVs. 

What exactly has Tesla contributed? They moved sales of EVs from a miniscule fraction to a tiny fraction? They certainly didn't invent the electric car, nor were they even the first to mass market one.

Are they licensing their technology? Are they not building a charging network exclusive to their vehicles? Again, what contributions have they made to the benefit of the auto industry?

They are a business, looking to make money on their product; rightfully. They aren't this altruistic entity moving humanity forward. Why are we pretending they are?

And push hard in the EV direction? What other choice does Tesla have?

I just recently bought an EV. I wanted a SUV for a daily driver having a 70 mile daily commute. I need to be able to get to work rain, hail, sleet, or snow.

I looked at the Tesla Model X and the Audi Etron. Given the faster acceleration and the longer range, I thought the Model X would be the no brainer.

I ended up with the Audi Etron. The overall build quality was significantly better, and the cabin noise was noticeably quieter.

The support is also on an entirely different level. Given Tesla's quality control issues, you would assume they would work harder on advancing their service department.

Instead, service is a mess, and, when your car needs service , you could be completely screwed. Instead of offering loaner vehicles like before, Tesla now resorts to Uber Credits, or tells you to rent something. 80K on a car that is likely to have something malfunction, and I get Uber Credits! Quite the contributors!  :duh:

My overall point here is that, just continuously pushing the EV hardware forward at the expense of everything else that makes the whole of a car, doesn't make you "gamechangers." It just makes you really good at one thing, and subpar everywhere else. 

Philistine

« Reply #472 on: 24 Dec 2019, 07:31 pm »
I have a Long Range AWD Model 3, this week Tesla offered an Acceleration Boost 'upgrade' which takes the 0-60 time down from 4.4 secs to 3.9 secs.  The dual motor AWD is just a software restricted version of the Performance version with a 0-60 of 3.2 secs, it took about 15mins for the software to reboot and apply the upgrade.  Over on the Tesla forums they've found that all the additional power and torque is coming from the front motor - adding about 60HP.  This puts the LR AWD Plus version in the same acceleration time as a BMW M3.  I had Beemers for over 30 years, and was about to get another, but tired of the nickel and dimeing from them and lazy sales people at my local dealership...if you stop at my local Tesla Service Center the back lot is full of traded Beemers!  Rumors are circulating that Tesla are going to launch a Model 3 with a battery switch from 75kWh to 100kWh, with Ludicrous mode this would drop the 0-60 time to 2.5 secs and increase the range to 400 miles!

On a side note the owner of my local Facebook Tesla group has a Model S that has had it's range throttled back, and Supercharger charging rate reduced, in order to protect the battery - views are it's related to fires they had and limit future battery replacement warranty claims.  So Tesla isn't without issues!

Brettio

« Reply #473 on: 24 Dec 2019, 07:45 pm »
I've been driving Toyota Landcruisers for the last 20+ years. Does anyone know if they're making vehicles that get better than 12 miles per gallon yet? :duh:

avahifi

« Reply #474 on: 25 Dec 2019, 05:00 pm »
Nice Christmas present from Tesla this morning.

Newest software upgrade.  It now recognizes signal lights, stop signs, roadside trash containers, and even provides a preview of what full self driving will bring.  There is more, new video games, more streaming services, and many more voice commands.  Finally a more sophisticated interface with your cellphone.

My Bluebot keeps getting all new over and over again, and I haven’t even tried out the most recent 5% power increase yet.

Merry Christmas to all here at AC.

Frank

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #475 on: 25 Dec 2019, 07:47 pm »
Merry Christmas, Frank!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #476 on: 28 Dec 2019, 04:54 pm »
Interesting Tesla/Apple comparison, see below. Also, Tesla will start charging a monthly fee for premium connectivity for upgrades. My latest upgrade came through yesterday but I’m still not sure it recognizes stop signs. ( I have an M3.)

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tesla-services-put-the-company-in-a-different-category-from-legacy-automakers?utm_campaign=Tesla%20Services%20%2F%20Flash%20Sale%20%28LzdcRX%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=All%20Contacts%20for%20Newsletter%20%28Main%20List%20%2B%20Abandoned%20Carts%29&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICI0Y3gyNTBiQG1pYW1pb2guZWR1IiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiZmI0Ym1NIn0%3D

Cheers,
Lester

Philistine

« Reply #477 on: 29 Dec 2019, 06:12 pm »
Interesting Tesla/Apple comparison, see below. Also, Tesla will start charging a monthly fee for premium connectivity for upgrades. My latest upgrade came through yesterday but I’m still not sure it recognizes stop signs. ( I have an M3.)

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tesla-services-put-the-company-in-a-different-category-from-legacy-automakers?utm_campaign=Tesla%20Services%20%2F%20Flash%20Sale%20%28LzdcRX%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=All%20Contacts%20for%20Newsletter%20%28Main%20List%20%2B%20Abandoned%20Carts%29&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICI0Y3gyNTBiQG1pYW1pb2guZWR1IiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiZmI0Ym1NIn0%3D

Cheers
Lester

The Premium Connectivity fee is for 'enhanced' services - mapping, entertainment, we will still receive software upgrades over WiFi.  From what I understand you need HardWare 3.0 to see Stop signs etc, I have HW2.5 and don't see them - owners who bought FSD will get a 'free' HW update from 2.5 to 3.  M3 owners with FSD automatically receive the replacement when they have a service center visit for other issues, the rest of us have to wait for the appointment. 

rlee8394

« Reply #478 on: 30 Dec 2019, 03:53 am »
Tesla always charged for premium connectivity. It used to be $100/yr. Now it will be a monthly charge. New owners get their first year for free. My free premium connectivity ends on June 29, 2020. I personally would rather pay for a full year up front instead of monthly. Maybe they will offer a discount for full payment for one or more years.

Galaxy404

« Reply #479 on: 1 Jan 2020, 02:49 pm »
We just bought a new car two weeks ago , my 1997 Camry died and we need capacity for a growing family. We went with a Subaru outback. When my second car dies we will be buying electric for sure. The battery Tech is moving very fast, the battery range is getting very good.  If I did not need the Capacity of a wagon I would have went Model 3 for sure . I am seeing a lot of them on the road here in Toronto now.

Disclosure , I am a Tesla Fan boy and share holder.

"The battery Tech is moving very fast" Fast, but not so fast. It will take 3 to 5 years at least untill the carmakers will put the new technology on new cars.