Digital Picture Frames

Antman27

Digital Picture Frames
« on: 3 Dec 2007, 01:02 am »
Hello all , I was thinking on getting a digital picture frame for the wife for christmas but have no clue about thees things
Any thoughts
Are ther any that I should stay away from or is one better then another

Thanks for your thoughts

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

R_burke

Re: Digital Picture Frames
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2007, 11:33 pm »
I too am contemplating buying one of these for my in-laws who are computerless and not interested in pursuing computers.

Does anyone know of any that connect directly to a camera?  That way we can take pictures at their house (family gatherings) and just load them up before we leave.

GregC

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2007, 12:16 am »
My wife and I just went through many hour of looking at different frames and reviews and finally got the Westinghouse 8 inch frame that can display 800x600 pictures.  We liked the quality of the pictures and the reviews we read about the better than average reliability.  I got one on Amazon and a 2 GB SD card to load my pictures (I re-sized my pictures to 800x600 with a photo program from HP that can do many pictures at once).  The frame finds the pictures on the SD card in whatever directories you copy to the card.  Just make sure to use subdirectories or else you will have a problem with the number of pictures that can be stored if all pictures are loaded on the root of the SD card.  I hope this helps since I spent so many hours researching and looking and found this to be the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:56 am »
These things actually start to make sense at this size and price, for parents, at the office, etc. What is the power draw for these things?

JP78

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2007, 05:15 am »
costco has great options for $200usd or less.  given the "no questions asked" return policy of two years, i feel like one can't go wrong.  i use one to great effect in the foyer.

brj

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:02 pm »
For what its worth, I saw two options in Costco the other day, and noticed that neither one had an anti-glare coating - and the glare was really distracting.  That might be something to consider, depending on where the frame will be placed and what the ambient light is like.

I've got to say that I was really surprised at what the higher resolution frames (800x600 or 1024x768) cost, considering what a good 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor costs these days.  (Just like monitors, the 16:9 or other wide-format frames are cheaper because of the LCD glass substrate manufacturing benefits, but while that is an advantage for a computer monitor, photos are still shot in 4:3 format.)