New WTA on the way

Maniac

New WTA on the way
« on: 26 Mar 2014, 12:11 am »
Hi everyone. I am buying a new WTA with a EMT TSD 15. If anyone has any tips and tricks with setup I am all ears.

Charisma12

Re: New WTA on the way
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:01 pm »
This is a great combination. :rotflmao:

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:43 pm »
Congrats on the new table/cart combo.  It's the same one I run.  I would say go through some of the posts here in the forum to get an idea of some info on set up.  Most things have been discussed.  As for my table, I run the arm slightly tail down and about a quarter of the ball in the goop. 

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:06 pm »
I agree with Erocka with regards to the ball only 1/4 submerged in the goo. Much more and it's just over damped IMO. Also don't over tighten any of the arm fixings including cartridge to headshell. Just snug is perfect. I also removed the arm finger (not cueing) lift on my LTD after advise from Threadkiller. Another small improvement. Auditorium 23 or 48 labs bambi mat betters things more. Put them all together and you're well away. Enjoy.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:38 pm »
+1 on the Auditorium 23 mat....

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:46 pm »
And don't overtighten bolts, screws etc. Saw a used WTA with MDF damage (a bulge) that the seller thought was due to overtightening.

rob400

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:30 pm »

Another thing to consider is an isolation platform in preference to the squash ball feet. I used 3/4 oak veneered mdf with cut in half squash balls for feet. I placed a weight on the platform whilst the contact adhesive set adhering the balls to the base. The weight spreads the balls thereby creating less squash if you like. I still prefer this set up over standard after many hours listening and swaps back and forth.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2014, 05:03 am »
Hi Rob! Nice rack... Isoblue? Or Hutter?
What's that arm doing over on your left- same as your car?
Nice kit all around...
Best

rob400

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2014, 05:28 am »
Hi Charlie. Thanks. That's how my Mac Pro camera took the shot (baffled!) :D The rack was made by myself. Oak veneered mdf platforms. The uprights, one at each front side and one in the middle at the back, are solid oak as is the trim around the platform (sold at my lumber merchants as 6" x 1" internal door linings, the trim around the platforms are the planted stops) Total cost around $250 USD. It sounds excellent with my kit. My lawyer wife has the brains but being a Carpenter has it's advantages  :D. Waiting on the DV XV1s. Also was very impressed with Audio Note AN isis interconnects. Very clear, clean, low fatigue with great drama and timing. The dem with my turntable/amps and Shahinian OB's 2 was breathtaking. Your DeVore/Line Magnetic combo must sound fabulous if it betters it.

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:22 pm »
Wow, you do have skills- looks professional.
Now, I wouldn't say better between the two- just different. I know your system well and love it. I could listen all day. My newer kit just has me listening more into the music, if that makes any sense. Still, I could easily be drawn back to the Pear any time...
What about those cables? Aren't they silver? The DV likes that ? I was tempted to think that might be too much... Yet you're on the money with everything else, so I'm sure it must work...
Best

rob400

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2014, 03:41 pm »
I'm with you Charlie regarding silver, they are the top copper model that Audio Note make. I still prefer Mogami as speaker cable above all  with DV/SH but the Audio Note AN ISIS inter's really are excellent. As for the new rack the shape of the uprights provides excellent support over a wide area of the platform but still has a small contact point on the platform below. Very rigid but light. Oak seems to be an excellent timber to use for a support rack. Are you still using an XV1s or have you bought a T yet?

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:19 am »
I used the Mogami for quite some time. Much preferred over Kimber. I'm glad you said copper, now I understand. My much beloved Auditorium also works great with your gear/speakers. Not sure it has a UK distributor, though with a jet setter like you shouldn't pose a problem. :)
The t? Oh, that lil ol thing...I heard, I swooned, I bought.  You'll have one someday, too.
Best!

Maniac

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2014, 07:45 pm »
I got it setup and the music is sounding good. I would like to ask if my setup looks right?

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:38 pm »
A lot of us are more familiar with the older golfball design, so might be worth letting us know how far into the goop the ball is. Also be sure that the ball is centered in the cup and that the fishing line is twisted in the right direction (IIRC that matters, but don't have a WTA to be able to confirm).

Maniac

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2014, 09:06 pm »
I think that about 3/8 of an inch of golf ball is in the goop. The odd thing to me is that the ball seems deep in the cup compared to pictures.

Charisma12

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2014, 09:42 pm »
The ball looks rather deep in the cup.

Below please find two pictures of the Amadeus MK II setup in my showroom. The line between the metal part and the golf ball is about the same level as the top of the damping well.

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2014, 04:22 pm by Charisma12 »

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2014, 11:03 pm »
It's only half a ball now, so maybe that is what's throwing everyone..

Erocka2000

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:10 am »
I would still say it looks rather deep in the cup. Fill the cup with more goop so that it can be lowered a bit. Also try putting the ball a little less in the goop.

rob400

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2014, 05:51 am »
My LTD cup isn't as deep but surely how deep that it's in the cup is only relative to how much goo is in there. All looks OK to me as long as the ball is submerged between 1/2 to 2/3 of it's semi circle.

Maniac

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:26 am »
I did add more goop and lowered the cup. It is sounding great but it seems better in middle to end of a record than the front. This is a great fun table. Love it.