HempTone XRS Dipole Speakers

ZLS

HempTone XRS Dipole Speakers
« on: 3 Jun 2007, 05:35 pm »
:D  I took delivery of the XRS Dipole cabinets two days ago.  I already had the original Super 3 Bipole/Dipole speakers with the Hemptone 41/2 Drivers.  The physical dimensions of the two speakers are as follows:
Super 3 Bipole-11"wide by 141/2"deep by 20" tall.
XRS Dipole(Bipole)-10" wide by 15" deep by 31" tall. 
    The other major physical difference is that I had the XRS Dipole wired for 4 Ohms internally so there is only one set of binding posts, that thank heaven is not recessed.  I am running the XRS in the Dipole mode which I accomplished by wiring the front speaker out of phase.  The transfer of the drivers was easily accomplished as Louis assured me it would be. 
    There is bad news, good news, and bad news regarding this speaker.  The good news, however, is very, very good. 
    Bad news number one is that the speakers must be placed 4 to 5 feet away from the back wall (the wall that is in back of the speaker to avoid any confusion).  The speakers are not physically imposing, but unless you have the room and/or a very  understanding significant other this may present a problem.  I place this in the category of even roses have thorns. 
    Good/great news is that the  reason that compells you to  buy a single driver speaker; the reason that makes people fall in love with Omega Speakers (Besides Louis being one of the nicest people to deal with that I ever encountered); is the same reason that the XRS Dipole is the ultimate statement of Louis's art to this point in time.  The direct emotional connection that all of Omega's speakers are capable of producing reaches its zenith in this speaker.  I searched for days for the right word to describe what this speaker does, and I believe I have found it.  The XRS Dipole conveys the humanity of the artist and the performance to a greater degree than any other speaker that I have heard.  This is a result of the HempTone drivers and the richness of harmonic tone that they are capable of producing, and the configuration of the cabinet that allows the drivers to reach their full potential.  The music is not confined to the speakers, either in terms of soundstage width,  depth or height.  The images are substantial and solid, with air around each instrument that allows all the nuances of the performance to shine through. The dynamic range between the softest notes and loudest passages is astounding.    Most important however, is that you are able to hear and feel what makes each artist a unique human being.  It is hard to describe, but if you ever listened to music and found yourself nodding your head and saying "Now I understand!" that is the emotion I am trying to convey.  Listening to the XRS Dipole I realized that the Super 3 Bipole/Dipole sounded constrained.  The irony is that when I listened to the Super 3 Bipole/Dipole I never felt the sound was confined or restrained; in fact I had described the speaker as open and free. 
    The XRS Dipole/Bipole does not elicit admiration, it does not command respect, it demands that you love it!  The XRS Dipole/Bipole   creates in its listener uncontrollable passion.  You are swept away in a tidal wave of emotion where reason is left behind.  It is the loudspeaker equivalent of the woman of whom it has been said, " Beat me, spank me, make me write bad checks!"
    Speaking of checks,  the second piece of bad news is that the XRS Dipole/Bipole is the most expensive speaker that Louis has ever built ($3500-$4000 depending on options)  I do not need to tell anyone who has ever owned an Omega speaker what a tremendous value they represent.  The quality of the construction, the beauty of the finish, the compelling sound they produce makes them one of the true bargains in audiophile speakers.  If these speakers were imported from England or Sweden that would cost at least $10,000 if not more.     
    I congratulate Louis on the creation of this speaker, and urge all of those for whom this speaker is practical to purchase it.  I know I will receive e-mails saying you were right, it is all you said it was. 
    You will have to excuse me now, I must go and listen to Billie Holliday tear my heart out.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: HempTone XRS Dipole Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2007, 05:57 pm »
Any pictures?

Louis, will you have these up on the website soon?

George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2007, 06:01 pm »
Zack,

Excellent review. :thumb: You should go pro! A few questions. Are you using the BCS circuit in the new boxes? How does the bass response compare to the old Bi/di poles? Are you applying a slight backwards tilt to the speakers? A photo of your new jewels would be appreciated. :) In response to your statement that they require ~5 foot distance from the wall, I moved my standard Hemp Bipoles V.1 out another foot and immediately noticed an improvement in imaging.

-Raj

« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2007, 04:09 pm by rajacat »

recstar24

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:05 pm »
ZLS,

Great read - can't wait to meet with you at your place and hear them myself! Very excited.

Boybees

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2007, 08:23 pm »
ZLS, this is very compelling. I wonder if you could detail the rest of your system - sounds like the synergy is there in spades.

Thanks!

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2007, 12:14 am »
Hi ZLS,

Many thanks for the great review on the XRS bipole/dipole.

I’m very happy you like them over the smaller BPC. I was looking to refine the speaker and give it a better balance and with the sound of the XRS in mind. This really opens them up. The XRS have a bit more output in bass as compared the Super 3s which the BPC was derived. A few things I found out during listening were the tilt back and this was a big improvement to me. Also as you mentioned the distance from the rear wall improves the soundstage at 4 to 5 feet.

Switching over to the hemp drivers makes big differences too. I tend to describe the sound as organic and the transparency is a major plus. They can handle a lot more power and can handle more complex music.

I do plan on keeping the switch able nature of the design. The price is based on the work involved and the ever rising costs of material. I try my best to keep them as low as I can.

Many thanks for all your kind words and I’m thrilled that you like them so much in your system.

Hi zybar,

Thanks and I do plan on having them up as soon as I can.

Hi Raj,

I have a minimum of 4 feet out. 5’s even better.

Thanks again,
Louis

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2007, 12:41 am »
Gentlemen,

I have the Dipole XRS sitting on upside down Adona Platforms (Granite backed by MDF-I have the MDF side up)  I have the Adona's spiked to the carpet, and Dipole XRS's on the MDF with the front tilted up using a penultimate mapleshade brass cone.  I am using the Baffle Correction Circuit.  
    I switch between an Omega Sig 30 and a rebuilt Harmon Kardon Citation II.  I use a rebuilt Eico tube preamplifier (2 12AX7's) with the HK and sometimes with the Sig 30.  The source I use is a RWA modified Ipod (The Imod) which at this point in time I have both the 4th Generation and the 5th Generation (Don't Ask) In as much as I am only a 3rd Generation American, I feel that I have been somehow passed by.  I use Gregg Straley Reality speaker cables and use a variety of IC's.  The 5th Generation Imod necessitates the use of a special ALO cable of which I have their Super Kind Imod cable.  
    I am a Jazz Buff, and the overwhelming number of CD's that I own are of Acoustic music.  The only electronic based music I listen to are the Blues.  
    I categorize sound reproducing systems as either brass based or woodwind based.  That is to say they either favor the reproduction of a saxophone or a trumpet.  If forced to choose, I choose a woodwind based system.  
    The Acid Test for my system is the reproduction of Johnny Hodges Alto Sax playing Ishafan, and Johnny Hartman singing anything.  
    I am obtaining 4" maple platforms to put under the Dipole XRS's and will report the changes as a result thereof.  
    I just finished listening to Janis Joplin and Big Brother & the Holding Company.  40 years ago when I first heard her I didn't get it.  Listening today through the Dipole XRS's I felt her pain, and just wanted to reach through the speakers to hold her.  That is the emotion that the Hemptone Dipole XRS's are capable of producing.  Need I say anymore?

recstar24

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2007, 02:47 am »
Zack,

It was a pleasure hanging out with you today, and thank you very much for letting me hear your system with all of my music.  You have a great system and man you have it locked in real good, I was tapping throughout the whole entire thing and I wish I had time to just sit there and play through album after album! Those dipoles really played beautifully in that space, the Imod was great but my Meridian G08 had a lot to offer as well!

Here are some pics - excuse the lighting :D

EDIT: Just wanted to say that my pics do a terrible job at capturing how beautifully built these speakers are.  The edges and corners are perfect.  They look absolutely fantastic, not a single blemish to be seen.  I knocked on the cabinets with my knuckles and all I got was a dull thud, these things have virtually no ring or resonance.  I can't wait to get my SuperHemps from the man himself and check them out with a stethoscope, really pieces of art.  And they are massive too!