The ultimate Squeezebox PS/Mod square off!! Coming to Houston, TX

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Spending money is no problem Jim, I'm always working :?....I just wanted to hear one set up right....I'm no computer geek, so the WAV, WAC, SLACK, DAC's, and whatever to get it going, throws me off.
Even with all the Rave's....no SB in sight. I just received an Olive Musica....pretty simple to operate. But still wonder about the SB.... :?. Next free time I get...I'll try again.
Sorry Barry if I sidetracked your fine review... :thumb:
Chris
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2006, 06:30 am by lonewolfny42 »

95bcwh

Quote from: Double Ugly
IOW, I'm pretty sure you'd be on the phone to Wayne shortly after the A/B comparison.

In fact, I'm very tempted to write Wayne a big check right now, but I told myself to hold on a little,  I want to wait for the review of the new SB transporter. If that proves to be a big disappointment, then my newly-purchased SB2 will be on its way to Wayne. :green:

Double Ugly

Quote from: Double Ugly
IOW, I'm pretty sure you'd be on the phone to Wayne shortly after the A/B comparison.

In fact, I'm very tempted to write Wayne a big check right now,...

Hmmm...I seem to recall implying that might be the case in a PM I sent to a moniker very similar to yours a while back.  :wink:

tdangelo

yo2tup:

I have the Sanyo version - prefer it to the Jensen  :wink:

Wayne1

Barry,

Thank you for all the time you spent on the listening session and your well written notes.

It is very nice to have outside sources comfirm what we here in Colorado have been talking about for over a year now.

A very good AC supply DOES sound better than a Battery supply for the SB and direct from the analog outputs of a modded SB will sound better than some very expensive CD players.

The Transporter does look like an interesting piece of kit. The Slim Devices team have tried to address a lot of the issues brought up on their forum. There still will be some room for change in the analog audio section. They plan to use surface mount 10 ufd coupling caps from the DAC to the op-amps. The op-amps that they may use  are the 5534. A lot of folks have used similar circuts in "stock" players and a lot of modders have found ways to improve the sound.

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4396/ekd4396-sbw1-01.pdf

This is the link to the circuit suggested by AKM that Mr. Adams says their circuit is based on.

The modded SB2 that I send to Barry has the full range of mods currently available from Bolder. The cost of the mods for the SB2 would be about $985.00. It has the large Sonicaps with both Gen 2 and Teflon Sonicaps as bypass. There are three Silver Slipstream Bybee Purifiers in the unit. One for digital and two for analog. The "Ultimate" power supply would sell for about $1150.00 with 4) Bybee purifiers. The DC cable would add about $300.00 more. And an AC cable would still be needed.

If the transporter does ship with that circuit with electrolytic coupling caps, I do believe the modded SB2 will sound better. There will be a few Transporters coming out Denver way so we can compare and report what the different models sounds like.

As for now, I would once again like to thank Barry for all his work and stating, at least in his system, the BOLDER modded SB2 and Ultimate PS supply sound best against some serious competition.

tdangelo

Barry,  as we discussed,  I'm sending you Anthony's SB PS today - you should have it Wed.  This is the first version of his PS I got a few months ago so it's well broken in - be careful - the blue LED will blind you heheheheh..  This version is the Sanyo Oscon version.

Tony D.

95bcwh

Barry,  as we discussed,  I'm sending you Anthony's SB PS today - you should have it Wed.  This is the first version of his PS I got a few months ago so it's well broken in - be careful - the blue LED will blind you heheheheh..  This version is the Sanyo Oscon version.

Tony D.

yeah yeah.. Tony..thanks.. bring it on! Thanks!

yo2tup

Tony D.

any updates? :D

95bcwh

Tony D.

any updates? :D

To my ear, Aberdeen's Rev-1 PS (older version), when plugged into Bolder's highly modded SB2, gives slightly of fuller sound (mid range) than the Elpac, however, when compared to Bolder's Ultimate PS, Aberdeen's Rev-1 PS sounded a slightly "compressed"; Bolder's Ultimate PS has more "air", the high is less "harsh". I guess the silver elements really do their magic in the Ultimate PS :green:

tdangelo

Barry,  did Anthony send you his latest yet??

95bcwh

It's a bit tough for me to conclude the finding on Aberdeen's latest PS, because I've already sent Wayne's package back to him. I'm trying to get Brad in Houston to bring his Bolder modded SB over to my place so I can use Aberdeen's PS on it.

There's a guy who came over last Friday (before I shipped Wayne's package back), and when he listened to all the different PS, he prefers Aberdeen's PS, he thought it has less coloration, he didn't like the sound of "silver".   :o :o

CornellAlum

Help me understand how a 2 pole 4 dollar cap can sound beter than a 50 dolar 4 pole capcitor.  I have been reading all morning on the oscons from sanyo, yet all the opinions I have read say it isn't even close.  HMM...

95bcwh

Apparently, you haven't met some guys who think that zipcord sound better than $5000 Nordost speaker cables.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(no offense, just a laugh about how subjective high end audio can be..)

95bcwh

Help me understand how a 2 pole 4 dollar cap can sound beter than a 50 dolar 4 pole capcitor.  I have been reading all morning on the oscons from sanyo, yet all the opinions I have read say it isn't even close.  HMM...

CornellAlum,
  By the way, I don't think Aberdeen uses Oscon in his Rev-1 Power Supply. He uses SANYO electrolytic's as main filter caps. The 4-poles are made for switch-mode power supplies main filtering cap, which is where they excel at. Aberdeen use 4-poles in his Tact power supplies.
   Please check with Anthony if you have more question about how that power supply was built. I'm not an expert. :green:

Rgd
barry

CornellAlum

I'll ask him.  I do have these thoughts though.  If you are not using an upgraded power supply fopr your SB box, you are missing EVERYTHING this unit has to offer.  I fionally finished up my home brew SB3 all out PS using sonicaps, sonicap bypasses, and panasonic FC series caps and I am sitting here listening to Yonder Mountain String Band's performance from summercamp which I recorded and am absolutely blown away.  I haven't heard many high end digital players, but this is absolutely blowing me away.  The differnce between that black thing that comes with the unit and my DIY PS is amazing, simply amazing my friends.  If you can't build it yourself, call Wayne NOW!  BTW, I had ZERO experience building anything and pulled this off with a ton of reading and research, so if you can solder, give it a whirl, it was a great experience.  Next step for me is to change the caps and upgrade to solid core silver wiring from the copper/silver I had laying around.

POP...that's how it sounds, brilliant! :thumb: :green:

CornellAlum

CornellAlum,
  By the way, I don't think Aberdeen uses Oscon in his Rev-1 Power Supply. He uses SANYO electrolytic's as main filter caps. The 4-poles are made for switch-mode power supplies main filtering cap, which is where they excel at. Aberdeen use 4-poles in his Tact power supplies.
   Please check with Anthony if you have more question about how that power supply was built. I'm not an expert. :green:

Rgd
barry

Aren't the Sanyo's also oscon's?

yo2tup

CornellAlum,

Rgd
barry

Aren't the Sanyo's also oscon's?

oscon's are made by sanyo, but the sanyo caps in the anthony's ps are not oscons.

CornellAlum

What are they then?

alana106

BTW, I had ZERO experience building anything and pulled this off with a ton of reading and research, so if you can solder, give it a whirl, it was a great experience.  Next step for me is to change the caps and upgrade to solid core silver wiring from the copper/silver I had laying around.

POP...that's how it sounds, brilliant! :thumb: :green:

:)Glad to hear you had such great results with the mods.  I think I might like to try it myself.  Is there any chance you might provide details (or direct us to where we can find) how / and exactly what components would be needed to complete the upgrade. :scratch:

Thanks,
Alan

CornellAlum

Yes, I will PM you with all of the details tomorrow from WORK :thumb: