Silk Monitors

jsalk

Silk Monitors
« on: 13 Jan 2023, 05:36 pm »
Randy picked up a pair fo Silk Monitors we had for sale a few days ago.  He asked me to post a photo of them so he could comment on his experiences with them.

Here you go Randy...

- Jim

rowdyrobot

Re: Silk Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2023, 07:08 pm »
I love that finish. Beautiful!

whitey019

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2023, 12:06 am »
Those look really nice and I bet the sound matches.

Rshorb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2023, 06:22 am »
Thanks Jim
After listening to these a few days I’m still in awe. I own a few pairs of Jim’s speakers. These have to be my close favorite behind the Bepure2’s. But what makes me love these Silks so much is their ability to do so much from such a small package. The room there in now is around 800 sq ft and open to the rest of the house, so they have their work cut out for them, yet they do it. They might not hit the lows with as much authority as the Bepure2’s but they don’t give up. This afternoon after playing Billie Eilish “-Everything I Wanted. I couldn’t believe they played that low and loud with no hint of distortion or break up. I’ve heard Jim say a few times that every time someone listens to a pair they ask, “Where is the subwoofer”? I completely understand why people say this now.  Rowdy you asked me how the midrange is. On my typical tracks I know very well, I would say there close to my BeAt’s in the midrange maybe a tad smoother. They image just as well and play that great disappearing act like all my Salk’s do. Thanks, Jim, for continuing building such amazing speakers and beautiful works of art.

Randy

Rich Carlson

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2023, 02:10 pm »
I completely agree with this.  I've had my Silk Monitors for almost 4 years now, and I'm still in love with them.  Smooth, fantastic imaging, and yes, amazing bass for their size. 

Rshorb

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2023, 12:02 am »
I just can’t wait till the unsuspecting people come over for a listen. They’re my favorite type. Normally I get the same questions. “ There’s only 2 speakers? “ now they will be grilling me where is the subwoofer hidden.

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2023, 12:14 am »
What is that finish?  So lovely!

Rshorb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:53 am »
Quilted Maple with a silver dye and a light burst

AllanS

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2023, 10:29 pm »
Same feelings about similarly sized Supercharged SongSurround.  With the right amplification they can really fill a space with amazing sound.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2023, 10:37 pm »
So Randy, you have a pair of BePure 2’s, BeAts, and these Silks? I like your style! 😁

Any idea how the Silks do in a near field setup?

Rshorb

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2023, 11:34 pm »
Well I also have a pair of 9.5’s, Song 3-A’s and a pair of HT2 -TL’s. I have a problem………

But anyway that is exactly why I bought these. They will be on my desk upstairs in a near field set up. I did play around with them less than a meter away from me. They retained everything I love about them. Just ordered the steel for the desk so, it might be a little time before there up and running in that room.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2023, 02:29 am by Rshorb »

rowdyrobot

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2023, 02:26 am »
You are the Speaker King of the eastern seaboard

Rshorb

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2023, 02:34 am »
I probably wouldn’t say that. I’ve just heard very few speakers other than Salks I liked. And none that have the value Jim’s speaker’s carry. So I collect what I like and rotate my stock  :lol:

AllanS

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2023, 06:02 am »
Well I also have a pair of 9.5’s, Song 3-A’s and a pair of HT2 -TL’s. I have a problem………

But anyway that is exactly why I bought these. They will be on my desk upstairs in a near field set up. I did play around with them less than a meter away from me. They retained everything I love about them. Just ordered the steel for the desk so, it might be a little time before there up and running in that room.

That’s a problem I wouldn’t mind having.

How do you plan to set them up, sitting on the desk or on stands in front of the desk?  I’d like to use my SCSS for my desk setup but they seem enormous when sitting face to face a few feet apart.  My only option is on the desk either side of the desk top/ monitor and it’s crowded.

Rshorb

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2023, 06:57 am »
I plan on sitting them on the desk on IsoAcoustics speaker risers. The desk I’m currently building will be 8’ x 25” deep.

Rshorb

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2023, 04:11 am »
Got some time to listen to these in their new setting. Sitting Near field about 1.5 meters max and 6 feet apart. It’s really impressive and creepy at the same time. The center image is still very focused and voices coming from between the speakers. I have the Silks towed in so they cross about 10 feet behind me. At this distance they’re still smooth with plenty of detail, just less room interaction I would say. These are truly amazing speakers as to be expected. I can’t wait to compare them to my Bepure Monitors when there complete.