Recent 2B-LP "review" on Y-T is shaky on facts (inter alia)

Dave-in-Cambodia

I just watched a pretty ragged review of a Bryston 2B-LP from a YouTuber ("Vintage Audio Review") with fewer than 500 subscribers. He doesn't treat his production sound for his video -- pretty damning for an audiophile, IYAM -- and he doesn't script his comments. But I was most taken by two things he said in the review that I am *pretty* sure are both factually incorrect:

First, he said that the "LP" in Bryston 2B-LP stands for "Low Profile." I've seen that said elsewhere (which may be where he got it), but I seem to want to recall that the O.G. 2B was exactly the same chassis, with those gorgeous heat-sink fins on the front.

Second, he said that the 2B-LP was produced "from 1997 to 1998." I'm essentially positive that the production run for the 2B-LP was a lot longer than that, particularly in the earlier direction. I'm not sure that there weren't 2B-LP's out there to buy in 1990, but I'm bet-money-on-it confident that they existed before I moved to Minnesota, which was in 1994.

Anyone?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Recent 2B-LP "review" on Y-T is shaky on facts (inter alia)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2023, 11:54 am »
Hi Dave - yes the LP stood for Low Profile as the original 2B was 2 rack spaces tall.

The 2B LP was manufacture up until about 3 years ago but under the PRO designation.

best
james

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2023, 11:56 am »
So the one thing he was way off on was the production run -- I remember demo'ing what I think of as the "2B" but which, according to this, was the 2B-LP, in the very, very, very early 1990s.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2023, 12:03 pm »
Correct the 2BLP was in production from the early 80's

james

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2023, 01:05 pm »
And oh by the way was (and is) that amplifier downright magical. I never owned one outright but I got to play with one on an extended basis (grad-school friend who didn't want to move it home for the summer), and there was just *nothing* I could throw at it that it couldn't handle.

Jozsef

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2023, 10:11 am »
I had an HK Citation 12, widely recognized as an outstanding amplifier in the early 80s, when I heard and then purchased a 2B. I think Chris Russell arranged for me to borrow one from somewhere or other. What had been deep, powerful bass sounds on the HK were now clearly either bass guitar or drums on the 2B. It was a different world of clarity and realism. I had to get one.