NX-Otica Setup Tip For Small Rooms

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
NX-Otica Setup Tip For Small Rooms
« on: 22 Dec 2022, 06:23 pm »
For my HT downstairs I have a smallish room that is longer than it is wide.  I can get the NX-Oticas pulled out well in to the room but I can't get them away from the side walls very much.  Here is how I had them set up until recently:

On a lark, I decided to switch the speakers around, so that the wings are on the outside and not the inside:

Well that sounds a lot better in my room.  Mainly in the soundstage.  Before I made the change, I had good imaging to the far left, the far right, and in the center.  But the middle areas in between those areas was not very 'filled in'.  After the change, they are now filled in nicely. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Otica Setup Tip For Small Rooms
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2022, 01:59 am »
After listening to it a bit more, I found that the tonal balance tipped up too much, there was too much upper midrange and highs with the wings to the outside.

So, I switched them back.  Ah, better tonal balance! 

To address the soundstage issues I was having, I moved them to be less far out in the room.  Went from 85 inches back to 74 inches and the soundstage filled in nicely. 

That's that I love about this hobby - the ability to experiment.

mkane

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2022, 02:21 am »
 :thumb:

Badd99

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2022, 01:48 pm »
For my HT downstairs I have a smallish room that is longer than it is wide.  I can get the NX-Oticas pulled out well in to the room but I can't get them away from the side walls very much.  Here is how I had them set up until recently:

On a lark, I decided to switch the speakers around, so that the wings are on the outside and not the inside:

Well that sounds a lot better in my room.  Mainly in the soundstage.  Before I made the change, I had good imaging to the far left, the far right, and in the center.  But the middle areas in between those areas was not very 'filled in'.  After the change, they are now filled in nicely.

I am about to put my speakers into my room... Just need to stretch the carpet out. I have large 5ft high diffusers going on the side walls and back wall (total length of 6ft on each wall not pictured)

I am curious if the subs behind the speakers like this is a good idea? I have a smiliar size room and think getting the subs to the sides of the cabinets will not allow me enough space between the speskers. Thoughts? Btw this is my dedicated room spent two years building. 4 dedicated 8 gauge lines on ps audio outlets.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2022, 02:05 pm »
I am about to put my speakers into my room... Just need to stretch the carpet out. I have large 5ft high diffusers going on the side walls and back wall (total length of 6ft on each wall not pictured)

I am curious if the subs behind the speakers like this is a good idea? I have a smiliar size room and think getting the subs to the sides of the cabinets will not allow me enough space between the speskers. Thoughts? Btw this is my dedicated room spent two years building. 4 dedicated 8 gauge lines on ps audio outlets.

The usual placement is to have the subs behind and to the outside of the main speakers when the room is wide enough. If the room is deep enough you can try different distances separating the subs and main speakers. Don’t be afraid to experiment to find the placement that works best in your room.

Remember, OB speakers have nulls at the sides so they can be placed close to the side walls.