The Menu (2022) - maliciously tasteful haute cuisine

WGH

Ralph Fiennes plays an arrogant, controlling chef while Anya Taylor-Joy is an uninvited guest to an exclusive dinner in "The Menu".

The Hawthorn restaurant is located on an island, a dinner costs $1,250 and the invited patrons for this special diner come for not only the food but to be in the presence of a master chef. The film is a very dark, cutting satire of the elite: both the chefs who rule in the kitchen and the snobby customers. Margot (Anya Taylor-Joy) is the wild card, she is the last minute date of Tyler (Nicholas Hoult) and is not impressed with the chef or the food. “What, are we eating a Rolex?” she says to her date when she hears the price of the dinner as they’re waiting for the boat to the island to arrive.

The Hawthorn is based on real restaurants including Noma in Copenhagen; Blue Hill at Stone Barns, north of New York City; Mugaritz in the Basque Country; the Willows in the Pacific Northwest; and the chef Francis Mallman’s private island off the coast of Patagonia.

All the culinary details from the kitchen design, the spice rack, to the food presentation is based on real restaurants and their signature dishes. A course of a single raw scallop perched on a craggy rock and surrounded by carefully tweezed seaweed and algaes is virtually indistinguishable from an actual dish at Atelier Crenn, a San Francisco restaurant with three Michelin stars. This is not a coincidence: the chef, Dominique Crenn, was brought on to design the dishes in the 10-course meal and to make sure that other culinary details rang true. 1

If you are a foodie and has watched every episode of “Chef’s Table” on Netflix two or three times, then this film is for you.
The Menu is always a surprise, to say more would ruin the dining experience.

89% on RT - Rated R for strong/disturbing violent content
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_menu

Watch the tasty trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_uTkUGcHv4

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/dining/the-menu-movie.html

The only place to dine after this movie is Tito and Pep, a neighborhood bistro that is also one of the best restaurants in Tucson.
We started with a beautiful hamachi crudo appetizer
Dinner was grilled octopus with salsa macha, avacado, tomato, red onion, lime. My friend had the grilled Baja striped bass. Dessert was the dark chocolate ganache with dulce de leche, candied orange, toasted almond, maldon, lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Wine was Anciano Garnacha, Valencia, Spain 2018.

Octopus at Tito and Pep

Bon Appétit
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2022, 02:46 am by WGH »

skifasterslc

Re: The Menu (2022) - maliciously tasteful haute cuisine
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2022, 02:58 am »
I caught that movie the other night, my simple take: "It will be a foodie cult classic"  crazy fun stuff

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2022, 05:25 am »
This is on my radar to watch soon.  I read about Chef Crenn’s consulting in this article, https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/chef-dominique-crenn-menu-movie-17592428.php

I’m quite blessed to live in the Bay Area and to have all of these Michelin starred restaurants close to home.  (Sad to lose Manresa at the end of the year.) Chef Dominique Crenn is very talented (first female chef with 3-Michelin stars and a James Beard award winner), and her tasting menu is presented in the form of a poem.  Here’s a little bit of trivia, Dominque was not formally trained in a culinary school.  Below are several photos from my wife’s birthday celebration in 2019 at Atelier Crenn.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2023, 06:32 pm »
Streaming on HBO Max now

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2023, 12:25 am »
I loved this movie!  Any fan of Chef's Table and revenge horror would agree.

If you get it on BluRay some of the extras go into the menu and the inspirations.