GR Research cable-kit wire as speaker connect wire

David Bardes

GR Research cable-kit wire as speaker connect wire
« on: 29 Sep 2022, 06:14 pm »
Hello Hobbs, Dannie, and Everyone,

After the success of my DIY interconnects using the cable kit wire, I had a few strands left over and used them to replace the stock wire that connected my tweeter to the cross-over. The result was a profound improvement in resolution, imaging, etc. I am wondering if this wire would be superior to the 16 gauge wire that you supply with your kits. I'm thinking a simple test would be to compare wire with an LGK kit. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

David

Badd99

Re: GR Research cable-kit wire as speaker connect wire
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2022, 06:27 pm »
Hello Hobbs, Dannie, and Everyone,

After the success of my DIY interconnects using the cable kit wire, I had a few strands left over and used them to replace the stock wire that connected my tweeter to the cross-over. The result was a profound improvement in resolution, imaging, etc. I am wondering if this wire would be superior to the 16 gauge wire that you supply with your kits. I'm thinking a simple test would be to compare wire with an LGK kit. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

David

So on my nx-otica I built my crossover with all 8TC braided OCC wire and used it to run from the crossover to the tweeter and both mids. I have to say the sound is pretty incredible, but i did not A/B it. I used Danny's solid core OFC wire for the woofers. Crossover is also a heavily upgraded version from Danny's kit max crossover.

I ran polyethylene rope through the 8TC to the drivers, but not for the crossover use.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2022, 07:18 pm »
So on my nx-otica I built my crossover with all 8TC braided OCC wire and used it to run from the crossover to the tweeter and both mids. I have to say the sound is pretty incredible,

This is awesome!!!

Ironically, I was just thinking of finding the best cable for hooking up the tweeters in my crossover and I ran across this thread. 

Badd99

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2022, 07:58 pm »
This is awesome!!!

Ironically, I was just thinking of finding the best cable for hooking up the tweeters in my crossover and I ran across this thread.

I highly recommend the 8TC cable with the rope through the center. Good amount of work, but damn it sounds GOOD lol.

I then went and took the 8TC and made each one with rope for the + and one for the - of each R and L speaker wires, so 2 for the right, 2 for the left using all silver wbt solder and tube connectors. That sounded so good so I took two 8TC wires with rope through them and made a pair of XLR cables, two 8TC with rope per channel (I took 2 strands of each leg for the XLR ground per side.) The sound is incredible.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2022, 08:31 pm »
That cable we sell is really good and can be used just as some have shown.

It will make more of a difference in long runs like those used in the NX-Otica. For a small speaker like the X-LS Encore it uses much shorter runs and the differences will be quite a bit less.

Twisted runs of our standard internal wire will get pretty close and is a lot less work.

I hesitate to offer our cables for crossover assembly as it is much harder to work with and will take a lot longer to implement.