How does Danny place the speakers

NoahH

Re: How does Danny place the speakers
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2022, 01:56 am »
I tend to look at the whole thing as distance that the speakers can be apart from one another (depending on the room size) verses listening distance. I tend to like being slight further away from the speakers than they are from each other.

So you wind up with a triangle shape layout of listener and speakers.

I then try to move that triangle as far out into the room as the room will permit.

That is definitely helpful. Thanks Danny.

VinceT

« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2022, 06:10 pm »
I tend to look at the whole thing as distance that the speakers can be apart from one another (depending on the room size) verses listening distance. I tend to like being slight further away from the speakers than they are from each other.

So you wind up with a triangle shape layout of listener and speakers.

I then try to move that triangle as far out into the room as the room will permit.

Tyson on 21 Aug 2022, 02:47 pm
My general rule of thumb is that OBs seem to work best with more space from the front wall.  Side walls are less important so you can place them closer to the side walls.

OB speakers also have 2 side wall reflection points - one in front of the speaker and one behind the speaker.  I like to put absorbing panels before and after the speaker on the side wall.  At least 4 inches thick is best for the panels.

I followed this advise by moving my speakers far as I could into the room with the Isosceles triangle technique (distance between speakers slightly shorter). I was able to get the speakers about 4.5 feet from the front wall. The side and back walls are not a factor and I have high ceilings. What a difference that made, I mean like night and day difference. Unfortunately this configuration is not feasible for daily use being my speakers are in a shared living/tv room for the wife, dog, kids etc not having speakers in the middle of the living room. Having them closer to the front wall is mandatory most of the time, I can probably get away with 1-2 feet. IYO can absorption or diffusion on the front wall get me closer to the effect of having the speakers further out into the room?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2022, 06:54 pm »
I'd say absorption is best, 4 to 6 inches thick is optimal. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2022, 12:09 am »
I'd say absorption is best, 4 to 6 inches thick is optimal.

And for best results move absorption panels away from the wall the same thickness as the panel. (6" panel should be 6" from the wall)

VinceT

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2022, 03:22 am »
Thanks guys

I tried some improvised absortion with foam and cushions.

In my room with my gear it was actually too dull, I'm thinking diffusion in my circumstance would be best. Now I am running Fritz monitors, if I ever went to something larger and full range I can see where absorption would be needed or a combination of both would be beneficial. I was actually surprised by this.

Scott Joplin

« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2022, 10:11 am »
Hello Vince,

Yes, diffusion would be best for getting the speakers closer to the front wall, as you have found you don't want to absorb the higher frequencies which causes a tonal imbalance.

Regards placement, ideally they want to be well away from the front wall to delay the reflections, this is why diffusion helps you. Personally I've found speakers far apart but then actually listening quite close, almost between them, has given the best imagery and depth.

VinceT

« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2022, 02:28 pm »
Tnx Scott